Home General Discussion

Cigar Mags?

All,

I understand that Cigar Aficionado has been moving to *other* content these days as opposed to how it was years ago and that folks who wanted just a straight up cigar mag are now miffed with them and no longer renewing their subscriptions.

So I have two questions for the group:
1) Do the folks who currently have a subscription to CA agree, especially the folks who have been subscribing for years now?  What percent of the content of the mag is dedicated to cigar info, reviews, news, etc these days versus ads and other content?  Personally I don't want to pay for cigar reviews to get only a couple each month and have to flip past reviews of yachts, super cars, tons of ads, etc.

2) Are there other magazines picking up the perceived slack?  Any other cigar mags out there besides CA that are any good?

T

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    CA sucks

Cigar magazine is what im looking to pick up.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I've never really thumbed through a CA before. I recently received a copy of Cigar Magazine with an order from ccom. Pretty good publication, IMHO.
  • brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    I too got an issue of Cigar Magazine and found it to be a good read. Had some decent reviews and the articles were cigar related. What a concept. ;0)
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I can't say I hate CA, but I agree it's not as focused on cigars as I sometimes would like. Cigar magazine tends to focus on cigars and tobacco related stories much more. Also, I have one issue of Cigar Press and it seems to be very similar to CM, though I haven't seen it in too many places.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Personally I enjoy Smoke Magazine---some good insight and stories and plenty enough cigar stuff...
  • tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    i get smoke occasionally and i do enjoy its articles. I also have a subscription to CA and I personally enjoy it although I can understand how some people believe it does not discuss cigars enough. It always had interviews with manufacturers and usually has articles about a person, usually well known, who is into the cigar hobby as well. The best issue I have received was the issue related to cuban cigars and the embargo. It also always has golf related stories because, for many people, golfing is a paired hobby with cigars. It tends to focus on "the good life" too. most likely because a majority of its readers can afford what they write about; hotels, clothes, etc. I can see how this specifically would draw away many readers, if you cannot afford the finer life or it does not interest you to fantasize, this eliminates a large section of the magazine to read. Same goes for a person not being interested in golf. That being said, usually towards the back of the magazine they have a large amount of cigar ratings and more cigar related articles, although these should be in the front. Plus a lot of people believe their reviews are based off of who pays for advertising but i disagree with this because they do give lower ratings to companies who advertise more often then many believe. It is such a big magazine MANY cigar companies use it for advertising.
  • niz33niz33 Posts: 83
    I love CA magazine. People need to understand that they don’t make a great deal of money just with the membership cost, so of course they are going to have adds but that will never mean that they will replace hard content over an add. The magazine has only gotten better over the years. Besides can people tell me allot of other great magazines. I can count them with my hand.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    I can't say I hate CA, but I agree it's not as focused on cigars as I sometimes would like. Cigar magazine tends to focus on cigars and tobacco related stories much more. Also, I have one issue of Cigar Press and it seems to be very similar to CM, though I haven't seen it in too many places.

Cigar Press is a very good publication. they are US oriented as well, so they have lots of articles about fundraisers, and political and factory events here in the states (i seem to remember a small article in their 'news' section about an event at the playboy mansion).

they usually have reviews for anywhere from 6 to 15 cigars for each of several shapes/sizes in each issue. also, being states-oriented they only review cigars available for purchase in the US. the last one i got had an article about the company and its history for both hoyo de nicaragua and drew estates and their "revolution", as well as a short article about the history and origins of the culebra, which was a very interesting read. i love the magazine. the only downside is that they only publish 4 issues a year i think, but i could be wrong. My local b&m has them.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    CA sucks

I subscribed to CA many years ago, and yesterday got a renewal offer One year ( 12 issues) for 19.95.. I haven't thrown that letter out yet.. Hmmm.
  • tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    kaspera79:
    kuzi16:
    CA sucks

I subscribed to CA many years ago, and yesterday got a renewal offer One year ( 12 issues) for 19.95.. I haven't thrown that letter out yet.. Hmmm.
    I personally think 20 bucks is worth it, whats the worst that'll happen end up with at least a FEW good articles to read each month as well as their opinions on cigars! My 2 cents at least :)
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Kas you ever read Smoke Mag?
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Smoked a Casa Magna Robusto earlier this evening. My second try with this smoke. The first was not that great...it was tough to draw on. After sitting in the humi for a little over a month, this one was much better. Draw was still a little tight IMO but produced ample smoke and had some great rich flavors and had a subtle sweetness to it after the first inch. Not sure it is worthy of no. 1 cigar, but definitely worth the small pricetag. I good smoke IMO.

I'm smoking a Vigilante Maduro Robusto, sent to me by Maddy in a picture contest before x-mas. First time with this cigar and it is very nice so far. Pretty free draw and has a dry spiciness to it. A little sweetness and some earthiness to it. I'm about 2 inches in and can say that it is a decent smoke. Thanks goes to Maddy for this one!
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    I have a subscription to cigar magazine and love it. I also like smoke magazine. CA is ok, but they seem to think that all their readers are millionaires.
  • BigginBiggin Posts: 52
    I haven't seen a lot of the publications that have been mentioned here. Obviously, I have seen Cigar Aficionado before.  I'm not sure I would be into all the extra "good life" material that they provide.  I'm by no means rich, and I feel like the cigar hobby is one of the way that I can afford the "good life."  Does anyone know if Cigar magazine is typically carried by Barnes & Nobles or what other cigar related magazines they might carry?  I don't think that my local cigar bar even carries Cigar Aficionado, so I will definitely have to look somewhere else for my reading material.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I'm not really sure about the other publications. I've never seen Cigar Magazine at a retail chain, but then again, I've only recently discovered it, and haven't looked. I would assume that it's carried by Barnes & Noble, especially at the larger stores.
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Ive found both cigar magazine and smoke at barnes and noble, but for some reason they're not always there.