Home General Discussion
Options

Should I use beads?

Just purchased my first humidor. I have had it for about 3 weeks but I cannot keep the humidity level below 80. I am using the humidifier that came w/ the humidor. Should I switch to beads? Any suggestions would be appreciated

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    yes. do it. worth every penny.
    its a two way humidification system. it will soak up extra moisture (slowly but when it evens out it will maintain very well)
    just make sure you get twice the amount that the website tells you to. this will keep it more stable.
  • Options
    prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    I am in the same boat as you tdunc. Humi seems to like 80 RH. I have beads, which worked ok after seasoning, but crept up. I have the humi lid cracked a bit now. Is that the best thing to do to lower RH? I don't want mold and have nowhere else to put my sticks. Using analog and digit gauge.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The amount of excess humidity the beads will suck up depends what kind of beads you have... 60% 65% or 70%, how much, and how dry they are. Yeah, cracking open the lid should help, given that the air outside is less humid...or if you have some extra "dry" beads to throw in, that'd work too. Maybe the beads in there have sucked up all the moisture they can hold... either way, more beads in there would help, or if there's another humidifying device in there remove it too.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I will give it a shot
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    and throw away the hygrometer that came with it, go buy a digital.
  • Options
    SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    jihiggs:
    and throw away the hygrometer that came with it, go buy a digital.
    And salt test it to make sure it's reading correctly
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    The amount of excess humidity the beads will suck up depends what kind of beads you have... 60% 65% or 70%, how much, and how dry they are.

This is why I keep telling you guys not to 'charge' your beads. If the beads are wet they can't absorb moisture. Leave the beads dry and put a small container of water in the humi so the beads can absorb what they need out of the air and release it when necessary.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Gray4lines:
    The amount of excess humidity the beads will suck up depends what kind of beads you have... 60% 65% or 70%, how much, and how dry they are.

This is why I keep telling you guys not to 'charge' your beads. If the beads are wet they can't absorb moisture. Leave the beads dry and put a small container of water in the humi so the beads can absorb what they need out of the air and release it when necessary.
    I'm convinced this method is best. Slower, maybe, but gentler on beads and assures a more stable environment since the beads aren't overcharged. Thanks, Marty
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    jlmarta:
    Gray4lines:

I'm convinced this method is best. Slower, maybe, but gentler on beads and assures a more stable environment since the beads aren't overcharged. Thanks, Marty
    You can just spray the beads lightly and pull them out nice and easy, dam wrong topic. listen to jlmarta
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    robertgreen30:
    Gray4lines:
    jlmarta:
    Gray4lines:

You can just spray the beads lightly and pull them out nice and easy, dam wrong topic. listen to jlmarta
    Is this out of you Rob.... I do hve to work with you, you know. They do hurt like hell tho huh?
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Gray4lines:
    jlmarta:
    Gray4lines:

Yup, I have been saying this for a long time. If they need moisture AFTER you introduce then to the humidor it is a LOT easy then trying to dry them up enough to be useful. Starting with dry beads (cause I maintain they are charged as you get them, that is why they are in plastic bags) is the way to go. IMO
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Like many things, beads are a personal issue.
    I keep the mantra that my BHole is exit only and that's what I stick with.

I'm sure there are some assficionados that can help you, but keep it to private messages please.