Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar noob

Hi Guys,

I just purchased my first proper cigar pack. I got the Sampler pack with the free humidor to start out with along with a few sampler packs to try find my cigar of choice. Ive smoked cigars throughout the year occasionally without really knowing anything about them. So i eagerly await my shipment of cigars.

So I have a few questions. First of all the humidor and humidifier, obviously this is used to keep the cigars at a certain temperature etc? is there anything to know, about setting it up etc? What temp it should be or anything like that? or is it just plug and play so to speak?

I got the one with the starter kit , its cigar.com own one so not sure how good it actually is, but it should be enough for starting out?

As for the cigars and aging? what are the kind of cigars you like to age and how long to do you let them age etc?

Im pretty sure ive always smoked a cigar correctly. I inhale inside the mouth let the flavor in and the exhale. Not inhaling to the lungs, is this the "correct" way?

After lighting a cigar, should it be smoked all in one go, or can you put it out light up again tomorrow for example? Im guessing this is not a good thing to do?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First you need to season the Humi. Google search "Seasoning a Humidor". After you season it you should be between 64-70RH and 62-70deg. Too hot/humid you may have some beatle crawling around in there.

Its a good humi I had 2, gave one to my pops and still use one for me.

Aging is up to you and you will find ones that age better then others. I think alot of the Punch stuff ages well but Liga Privada my not. Its all about your taste.

You are smoking correctly as far as I can see. Google search "How to RETROHALE". Just a different way to "smoke".

I say you have 10 minutes depending on temp and humidity... This is just MHO.

You will get a good amout of response from thsese guys. Make it your own and see what you like. And if anyone asks for your address.... go right ahead..... its all in fun!
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    welcome
    read this.....twice
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/379773.aspx

don't worry about "aging" at this point, as you don't even know what you like, and what you like next month will likely be quite different than what you like in a year

• Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    welcome
    read this.....twice

don't worry about "aging" at this point, as you don't even know what you like, and what you like next month will likely be quite different than what you like in a year

+100 ive had 3 different favorites already this month
  • Options
    Thanks for the response guys!

Haha if anyone asks for my address lol what do you mean?
  • Options
    Hey my package includes a travel case where i can store a couple of cigars, but where or how do you guys recommend storing the cigars while i season the humidor?
  • Options
    KingoftheCove:
    welcome
    read this.....twice

Thanks that was a great thread!
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    realizment:
    Hey my package includes a travel case where i can store a couple of cigars, but where or how do you guys recommend storing the cigars while i season the humidor?
    Baggy with humi paks or tupperware with humipaks.
    As for the addy (address) give out at your own risk. These guys will bomb you (see cigar packages) into oblivion.
    This forum is a great place to participate, as it can be worth your while.
    Somewhere there is a bomb/trade etiquette thread. Maybe someone can find it and bump it.

If you have questions, there is no stupid question. This forum is full of a ton of knowledgeable people.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    haha are u serious? people just send other people cigars randomly for no reason? Thats good no? Sorry im a little confused haha. Sounds like a cool community?
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    realizment:
    haha are u serious? people just send other people cigars randomly for no reason? Thats good no? Sorry im a little confused haha. Sounds like a cool community?
    no. not a cool community. a stoopid one
  • Options
    jliu:
    realizment:
    no. not a cool community. a stoopid one
    Please explain? Are you saying they send them as advertising their own products or what.. i really dont understand? :)
  • Options
    I just read a bit about it.. I get it now, a generous community? Finally, I found something where people have respect and gratitude like myself. I also like to give and be generous. :)
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    realizment:
    I just read a bit about it.. I get it now, a generous community? Finally, I found something where people have respect and gratitude like myself. I also like to give and be generous. :)
    Nice to hear. So send me your address and your car keys. You can leave a sandwich in the glove box cause I'm feeling kinda peckish.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    You need to send me your address so I can send you the manual. It's full of tips and tricks on how to navigate the forum as well as a bunch of great info regarding cigars and humidors in general. Just PM it to me and I'll get it right out.
  • Options
    webmost:
    realizment:
    Nice to hear. So send me your address and your car keys. You can leave a sandwich in the glove box cause I'm feeling kinda peckish.

What would you like on the sandwich sir? pickle? lmao
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    realizment:
    webmost:
    realizment:

What would you like on the sandwich sir? pickle? lmao
    Lavish the elusive sponduits between two big hunks of bread..

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    realizment:
    haha yea dude. there be a good chunk of great folks on here. don't know if I said this but welcome! You'll like it here.
  • Options
    The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    jliu:
    realizment:
    haha yea dude. there be a good chunk of great folks on here. don't know if I said this but welcome! You'll like it here.
    Welcome to the forums, it does get crazy and make sure you have a good insurance policy
  • Options
    welcome to the forum!!
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    realizment:
    Yup. You found the best forum on the internet. It's a bit of a competition to see who can one up the other. I seem to always lose to Mike. LOL!
    Bombing is not required, but it is encouraged and even often antagonized. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. I am about a week ahead of you in the setup/learning phase. So far seems like a great bunch of guys. Trying to learn about the bombing thing myself. Happy smoking.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!!
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Ann welcome to the forums!! It's a great place to be and gets rather addicting!!! I'm sure a bunch of guys have asked for you to send them your adress, well if you do buy a cooler or Tupperware container and hold on to your seat!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Ann? Haha i got one guy for address so far lol. It is very exciting!
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    realizment:
    You gave out your address? I understand that Prudential offers a mail box insurance policy. You should look into it.

• Options
    beatnic:
    realizment:
    You gave out your address? I understand that Prudential offers a mail box insurance policy. You should look into it.

lmao! that woulda been nice to know last week!
  • Options
    is it a bad thing or a good thing lol? Why last week what happened u? haha
  • Options
    realizment:
    is it a bad thing or a good thing lol? Why last week what happened u? haha
    i got a couple of bombs!
  • Options
    which is good tho right hahaha?
  • Options
    nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    jliu:
    realizment:

Agreed, youll like it here...except for the SNOOBIE...he is a terrible terrible and un joy-pho person
  • Options
    nickiam:
    jliu:
    realizment:

Agreed, youll like it here...except for the SNOOBIE...he is a terrible terrible and un joy-pho person
    imma gonna go eat dim sum right now. 811111. that means bye in mandarin. 8 is "bah" 1 is "e". add it together byeeeee. 81111