Home Cigar 101
Options

Beetles. What are the odds.

VisionVision Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
I cam home to a warmer then usuall humi today. I know over 80deg is bad but what are the odds of a cigar having eggs in them? Is it common or rare? I know you should freeze them first.... but what if you dont? If you dod hae eggs is 100% that they will hatch. I did a little research but I think its good for the forum. Thanks guys!

Some Threads

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/261992.aspx
http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/327197.aspx
http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/342392.aspx

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vision:
    I cam home to a warmer then usuall humi today. I know over 80deg is bad but what are the odds of a cigar having eggs in them? Is it common or rare? I know you should freeze them first.... but what if you dont? If you dod hae eggs is 100% that they will hatch. I did a little research but I think its good for the forum. Thanks guys!

Some Threads

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/261992.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/327197.aspx
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/342392.aspx

Thanks guys!
    I tried to do a little research like this earlier in the summer too, right after I bought an undercrown with what appeared to be dead/empty eggs of somekind...That was a little bit of a wake up call that any stick can potentially have "something" living in it. But I have had zero issues since, and warm weather was not to blame there either.

I also just moved and my humidors ran a little warmer for a few weeks... still no issues.

back to your questions, really after trying to study up I have more questions then I did to start with! I have never frozen, nor felt the need,

I think if you watch new sticks coming in you have a good a chance of any of spotting trouble before it happens... seems like if beetles are present,then the warm trip during shipping would stir them up, most of the time.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    In the summer, I go fridge->freezer 2 days->fridge->humi. Just in case
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    have you ever ruined a cigar doing that? Does freezing, to fridge change the taste or do anything other than kill bugs?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    scarlin:
    have you ever ruined a cigar doing that? Does freezing, to fridge change the taste or do anything other than kill bugs?
    Im also interested to know the answer to this? But first i need to ask, what happens if u dont find the bug or eggs in cigar and smoke it? Is it dangerous? I just picked up on this thread didnt know about it. Just new to the whole thing.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Just a little extra protein. The bugs are really only dangerous to your cigars. You ingest way more bug parts and thingys on a daily basis than you will ever smoke...don't think to hard on this, it will make you anorexic.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the same paranoya of beetles lol I actually quarantine all of the new sticks that come in for about 2 weeks before I put them in a humi. So far temps have come to the near 80's in my basement and haven't had a issue(knock on wood). But I keep most of my high end stuff in a wineador and always check all of my inventory every few days!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Gray4lines:
    scarlin:
    I do the same. Never damaged a cigar doing it. Doesn't change the taste.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I've never seen a worm in my cigars. Of course, I never saw water in my house until Katrina. Things happen and you can't spend your time worrying about them.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    My Humi regularly hovers between 78 to 80* down here and in the many years I have enjoyed cigars only 1 stick ever appeared to be damaged by a beatle and I believe it was like that when I got it. I am in my Humi each day so I look at them frequently which could save the lot if something got started in there. BTW, I also run my RH lower than 70, generally 60--65% due to the amount of RH normally present in my climate. This can also discourage the little buggers.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the odds of getting beetles are fairly low if you are buying most premium cigars. factories do their best to eliminate them by freezing at the factory or fumigating or any number of systems.
    however, no system is perfect. the best way to not get beetles is to keep that humidor under 70* and 70%
  • Options
    NectarCigarNectarCigar Posts: 171
    I think most newer production cigars are put through a deep freeze before shipped out, this is what I've heard anyway. But you still never know what they will come in contact with in their travels and such. Any questionable cigars, such as vintage CC's, custom rolled, certain Nc's, I'll definitely freeze with a similar method as the one mentioned above, just to be safe. I know many who freeze any and all cigars going into their humi!
  • Options
    NectarCigarNectarCigar Posts: 171
    kuzi16:
    the odds of getting beetles are fairly low if you are buying most premium cigars. factories do their best to eliminate them by freezing at the factory or fumigating or any number of systems.
    however, no system is perfect. the best way to not get beetles is to keep that humidor under 70* and 70%
    sorry for repeating, kuzi! i wasn't on the last page... my bad!
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Happened to me this summer on my first order of CC's, which were in transit for like 2 weeks 90plus weather. First time in 5 years, so I freeze EVERYTHING coming into my humis. Fridge, 3 days in freezer, 1 day in fridge again. As long as you double freezer bag and suck all the air out you won't have any damage to your sticks, as far as I can tell.

And Lee be careful with the 2 week isolation time-frame. Not sure where, but I read somewhere their life cycle and how long it can take to hatch, and if I recall they can lay dormant for months in egg form before hatching. If you want to truly run an isolation humi where all new sticks come in and sit before moving to your good humi, I would probably recommend at least 3 to 6 months before considering them safe and bug free. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good look bro! thanks!
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    A DAY? Of warm humi, i wouldnt worry about it