Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Got a job!!!!!

Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
Finally!! I'm going to be a full time lecturer starting in the fall semester at Barnard College in their Psychology department. Really really excited to start there training next week!!
^Troll: DO NOT FEED.

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Finally!! I'm going to be a full time lecturer starting in the fall semester at Barnard College in their Psychology department. Really really excited to start there training next week!!

AlllRIGHT!!! Way to go, Bro. Glad to hear the good news and glad you're glad.....

• Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Ken, that is really just awesome to hear.
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    nice dude! ok, read me professora
  • Options
    SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    Congrats
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool, you'll have to be sure and explain how cigars keep you sane.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news, Ken. Thanks for sharing and good luck starting the new job.
    So should we now address you as Professor Ken?!?! Huh huh??

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Ken! Sounds like a great gig
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    congrats.
  • Options
    I had to write this post quickly yesterday because I was short on time but big on excitement so I had to get this up here. I should elaborate more.

First, thanks very much to everyone here for their support. As some of you know, I'm an academic and my research lost its funding in early march of this year, which just happened to be perfect timing for me to spend my mother's last month with her as she lost her battle to ALS. I've been looking for a while for a new academic position and was turned down from a few without even an interview.

I was honestly beginning to lose hope of finding anything full time for the coming academic year before I heard about this position, and it was pretty much my last hope of employment in academia for until september 2013. Needless to say last thursday was the most nervous I've ever been in an interview, but apparently they saw through the nerves and decided I can teach.

I'll be teaching lab courses at Barnard, in the fall I will teach 3 sections of their learning lab and 1 section of a new introductory lab course that has never been offered before. In the spring I'll be teaching almost all intro lab sections and really helping to refine and perfect that class, which is a really great opportunity to have input into a major college's curriculum.

So thanks again to everyone for their past and continued support/encouragement, it really has helped an enormous amount to get through what has been a really rough time and thanks for your enthusiasm as I start to see the light at the end of the tunnel with a new house and new job. I can't say enough how great this place is in both good times and bad!

Oh, and don't call me professor. I'm not your professor. You can call me Dr. though. ;D
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    That's super Ken! I wish you all the best. I used to teach at the college level. Very stimulating and enjoyable work.
  • Options
    StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    Man, that's great to hear. I've read some of your posts and you seem like you have the right morals and beliefs to instill in the next generation. Good form, Sir!
  • Options
    Streater:
    Man, that's great to hear. I've read some of your posts and you seem like you have the right morals and beliefs to instill in the next generation. Good form, Sir!
    Wow, man, that means a lot. Thanks!
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Oh, and don't call me professor. I'm not your professor. You can call me Dr. though. ;D
    So we'll add you to the list of forum Dr.s then?!!! hah
    But seriously, congrats on the new job - Dr. Light :-D That's awesome they brought you on-board and were able to "squeeze you in" right before the school year started.

I have a few friends who work at a university and they've told me how tough it is applying for university jobs, because if you don't hear anything by August, you'll pretty much have to wait until the next school year to have a chance to be hired.

Now what smoke are you gonna have to celebrate??

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Good things happening to good people... I like it!
  • Options
    jgibv:
    Now what smoke are you gonna have to celebrate??
    I was avoiding saying it. I had an Anejo resting a while waiting for just this occasion (bought it when I heard I was losing funding but not yet officially out of a job) and lit it up. I hate to say it was a pretty big disappointment. I could've been me, so I'm gonna revisit, but to me it was no different than a Diesel UHC, which isn't a BAD thing but I was just expecting more. Maybe there was a bit of sweetness that I don't always get from a Diesel, but that's about it. Of course, my UHC's have over a year on them, so maybe that's why they're similar to me. Oh well.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Ken...wish you the best.