Home General Discussion

Biggest smokes available?

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
Does that Man o War Ruination rate as one of the bigger, fuller bodied, cuban like smokes out there?  If not what are some others...thanks..

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im afraid that almost none of those descriptions apply to the MOW-R.

...neither are all of these synonymous

as far as size goes they range from 5.5x54 up to 6x60. these are fairly standard in today's larger ring cigars. this popularity of large ring gauges has not quite spread to the world of Cuban cigars. most of the Cuban cigars still range in the under 50 ring gauge range.

is the MOW-R a full body smoke? yes. Is it the fullest of the full.... not really. want a fuller smoke- check out the camacho diploma, OpusX, or El Cobre. none of these are Cuban. Cuban cigars are not always full body. Much like the non Cuban counterparts, Cuban cigars have a range of fullness.

The MOW-R was blended by AJ Fernandez who was trained by Don Alejandro Robaina (Robaina as in the cuban brand Vegas Robaina). the seed for the smoke is Cuban seed, but it was grown in Honduras and Nicaragua. these countries have a flavor of their own because of different soil conditions and climate. even the "best" Cuban seed in existence will not taste like a true Cuban unless it was grown in Cuba.

the only way to get the taste of a Cuban cigar is to smoke a Cuban cigar. Personally, im only OK with the distinct taste of a true Cuban cigar. It may sound crazy but i enjoy the taste of Honduran tobacco or Dominican tobacco just as much as, if not more than, Cuban Tobacco.
    feel free to call me crazy. I know there are others out there who will agree with me.

...its all personal taste anyway.
  • niz33niz33 Posts: 83
    I 2nd that. If I choose to smoke a cigar it's not based on the origin of the country that the tobacco was grown rather on my own personal taste. I hate it when I hear that the best cigars are from Cuba.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I had to explain the myth of Cuban cigars to a buddy of mine the other night. He was telling me how the only cigar he would ever smoke would be a Cuban, and I told him he can try, but he could end spending $200 for something that tastes like a Swisher Sweet. I hate to sort of hijack this, but this made me think of something. I can be out somewhere, smoking a cigar, or talking shop with my smoke buddy, and someone always butts in with something to say about Cubans. More often than not, they brag about only smoking Cubans or how they've had one before. Does this happen to anyone else?
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I met someone at Jrs the other day who was telling me that he was one of the first members of the cigarfamily forum and they all got special gifts and he has had all these rare cigars, etc... And he seemed to be a pretty nerdy guy. nice, but nerdy who loved to hear himself talk and brag about this and that. I don't recall him mentioning cubans but he did talk about inbetween the lines, which is different than between the lines, and some other stuff I have seen pictures of and heard of but never had or even found to buy...
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Matt Marvel:
    I had to explain the myth of Cuban cigars to a buddy of mine the other night. He was telling me how the only cigar he would ever smoke would be a Cuban, and I told him he can try, but he could end spending $200 for something that tastes like a Swisher Sweet. I hate to sort of hijack this, but this made me think of something. I can be out somewhere, smoking a cigar, or talking shop with my smoke buddy, and someone always butts in with something to say about Cubans. More often than not, they brag about only smoking Cubans or how they've had one before. Does this happen to anyone else?
    I have had this happen more times than I can count and 9 times out of 10, that person obviously knows NOTHING about cigars and probably couldn't even name a specific Cuban brand other than Cohiba if they tried.
    PuroFreak:
    Matt Marvel:
    I have had this happen more times than I can count and 9 times out of 10, that person obviously knows NOTHING about cigars and probably couldn't even name a specific Cuban brand other than Cohiba if they tried.
    Yep. And what bugs me the most is their attitude, like their some guru or something. If I had to find something bad about being a cigar smoker, it would be having to deal with people like this.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    most of the time it goes like this: someone "you got any plans this weekend?" me "nah, supposed to be sunny tomorrow, ill likely spend half the day smoking cigars in the park." someone (condescending tone) "a cuban cigar?" me "uhh, maybe, depends on which cigar I feel like" someone (condescending) "uh huh huh huh" kind of annoying. though I do occasionaly hear stories about how some one went down to mexico and smoked a "cuban" they bought right next to a "real silver" bracelet. usually further details reveal it was a machine made vanilla flavored dog rocket.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    ahh, I looooooooooveee the camacho diploma!
    jihiggs:
    most of the time it goes like this: someone "you got any plans this weekend?" me "nah, supposed to be sunny tomorrow, ill likely spend half the day smoking cigars in the park." someone (condescending tone) "a cuban cigar?" me "uhh, maybe, depends on which cigar I feel like" someone (condescending) "uh huh huh huh" kind of annoying. though I do occasionaly hear stories about how some one went down to mexico and smoked a "cuban" they bought right next to a "real silver" bracelet. usually further details reveal it was a machine made vanilla flavored dog rocket.
    Yeah, I've heard that one too. The only way I could be confident that I was smoking a Cuban is if I bought a cigar in Cuba.Then I could safely assume that it was genuine.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Matt Marvel:
    jihiggs:
    Yeah, I've heard that one too. The only way I could be confident that I was smoking a Cuban is if I bought a cigar in Cuba.Then I could safely assume that it was genuine.
    Actually, all you are assured is that it is actually from Cuba it sure doesn't assure that it is a real Cohiba/Monte/Sancha Panza. A large majority of counterfit Cubans are actually Cuban they are just not what they say they are.
    madurofan:
    Matt Marvel:
    jihiggs:
    Actually, all you are assured is that it is actually from Cuba it sure doesn't assure that it is a real Cohiba/Monte/Sancha Panza. A large majority of counterfit Cubans are actually Cuban they are just not what they say they are.
    Ah, that's a good point. I obviously didn't think that statement through.
    Matt Marvel:
    madurofan:
    Matt Marvel:
    jihiggs:
    Ah, that's a good point. I obviously didn't think that statement through.
    Happens to the best of us. If you are ever somewhere and contemplating buying a Cuban, look for the Los Habanos authorized dealer sticker. It doesn't guarantee they are genuine but it makes the probability much higher.
    a guy that i used to work with would "only smoke Cubans"
    im sure that he has never seen a cuban cigar in his life. heck, the first hand rolled was probably one that i gave him.

that guy was a jerk anyway. hes no longer with the company.
    kuzi16:
    im sure that he has never seen a cuban cigar in his life. heck, the first hand rolled was probably one that i gave him.

That I only smoke Cubans deal is crap. THe only person I've believed who said that is KeyShawn Johnson, for some reason I believe he might be telling the truth :).
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

That 'I only smoke Cubans' deal is crap. The only person I've heard say that and I believed is KeyShawn Johnson, for some reason I believe he might be telling the truth :).
    madurofan:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

That 'I only smoke Cubans' deal is crap. The only person I've heard say that and I believed is KeyShawn Johnson, for some reason I believe he might be telling the truth :).
    and Uncle Fidel.
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

and Uncle Fidel.
    Good Call. How you been kuzi? You ever get those Sanchas?
    nah... budget and humidor was tight. and to tell the truth, im not very excited about Cubans anyway.

...at least for the price and hassle that comes with.
    kuzi16:
    nah... budget and humidor was tight. and to tell the truth, im not very excited about Cubans anyway.

...at least for the price and hassle that comes with.
    I'm in the same boat, but I'll never turn down a box split when you are ready.
    may be a while.

BBC, TFH, and myself were tossing around the idea of a box split on soemthing else. maybe if you wanna try the EL COBRE we can get two boxes and split 4 ways.
    kuzi16:
    may be a while.

BBC, TFH, and myself were tossing around the idea of a box split on soemthing else. maybe if you wanna try the EL COBRE we can get two boxes and split 4 ways.
    I'm not familiar with the El Cobre, I mean I've heard the name but don't know much about it. Whats its story?
    its the smoke that the oliva family rolls for their own private use. PM me for more details.
    kuzi16:
    its the smoke that the oliva family rolls for their own private use. PM me for more details.
    Ah, ok its ringing a bell now.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I think you'd like the El Cobre maddy, strong with an excellent flavor to back it. Definitely a split worthy purchase.