Home General Discussion

for real?

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
weather.com has my weather as sunny and 77* with winds maxing out at 1mph. it looks calm all around. not a leaf or blade of grass is moving. yet every time i try to light my soft flame a gust of wind comes by and blows it out. i mean, it lights back up because its a Xikar, but still... thats freakin nuts.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    That seems to happen to me every time I smoke a pipe. Same thing, dead calm until I go to put fire to the bowl, then a slight breeze will come in...not much of a breeze, but just enough to where I have to get creative using one hand and my body as a shield.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I feel ya. You should light up indoors then walk outside ;-p
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    I feel you. I used to be a 'matches only' snob... I got better after really needing a smoke, and ending up with a half toasted stick after my last matches got blown out by random gusts. Coulda done the boundry waters on that canoe. The obvious answer is to build an outdoor smoking shack with walk out patio. Obviously.
  • WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    jthanatos:
    I feel you. I used to be a 'matches only' snob... I got better after really needing a smoke, and ending up with a half toasted stick after my last matches got blown out by random gusts. Coulda done the boundry waters on that canoe. The obvious answer is to build an outdoor smoking shack with walk out patio. Obviously.
    Only solution for us match users.
  • insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    jthanatos:
    haha I'll take one too!
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    2 weeks ago when I was at the ocean the wind on the beach made lighting a pain, but then my sticks burned faster than normal because of the constant wind.
    jthanatos:
    The obvious answer is to build an outdoor smoking shack with walk out patio. Obviously.
    Funny you should mention that...I built just such a shack for the Winter months. Granted we get it pretty easy in So. CA during Winter, but it still gets cold enough to make smoking outside uncomfortable. I spend about $50 on on some 2 x 3 1/2 lumber and a roll of black visqueen, built the structure and wrapped it...when it starts getting colder, I move my little propane heater in there and I'm good to go. I even put power in it so I can run a fan for ventilation and have a light on a switch. It isn't much to look at, but it gets the job done.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    jthanatos:
    The obvious answer is to build an outdoor smoking shack with walk out patio. Obviously.
    Funny you should mention that...I built just such a shack for the Winter months. Granted we get it pretty easy is So. CA during Winter, but it still gets cold enough to make smoking outside uncomfortable. I spend about $50 on on some 2 x 3 1/2 lumber and a roll of black visqueen, built the structure and wrapped it...when it starts getting colder, I move my little propane heater in there and I'm good to go. I even put power in it so I can run a fan for ventilation and have a light on a switch. It isn't much to look at, but it gets the job done.
    If the women don't find you handsome, they'll at least find ya handy!
    Lasabar:
    j0z3r:
    jthanatos:
    Funny you should mention that...I built just such a shack for the Winter months. Granted we get it pretty easy is So. CA during Winter, but it still gets cold enough to make smoking outside uncomfortable. I spend about $50 on on some 2 x 3 1/2 lumber and a roll of black visqueen, built the structure and wrapped it...when it starts getting colder, I move my little propane heater in there and I'm good to go. I even put power in it so I can run a fan for ventilation and have a light on a switch. It isn't much to look at, but it gets the job done.
    If the women don't find you handsome, they'll at least find ya handy!
    I hope so...that's about the only thing I've got to work with...Unless I run into a Lewinsky woman, then I'm good to go.
  • stadstad Posts: 396 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    jthanatos:
    Funny you should mention that...I built just such a shack for the Winter months. Granted we get it pretty easy in So. CA during Winter, but it still gets cold enough to make smoking outside uncomfortable. I spend about $50 on on some 2 x 3 1/2 lumber and a roll of black visqueen, built the structure and wrapped it...when it starts getting colder, I move my little propane heater in there and I'm good to go. I even put power in it so I can run a fan for ventilation and have a light on a switch. It isn't much to look at, but it gets the job done.
    60 degrees is uncomfortable?! All you guys need is a patio heater! I would love to have your weather during the winter! Washington has the most uncivilized smoking conditions I've ever had the displeasure of smoking in!
    stad:
    j0z3r:
    jthanatos:
    60 degrees is uncomfortable?! All you guys need is a patio heater! I would love to have your weather during the winter! Washington has the most uncivilized smoking conditions I've ever had the displeasure of smoking in!
    Who said 60? I'm talking about when it gets windy and into the 30's and 40's. Like I said, it may be mild in comparison, but that doesn't make it comfortable.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    kuzi16:
    weather.com has my weather as sunny and 77* with winds maxing out at 1mph. it looks calm all around. not a leaf or blade of grass is moving. yet every time i try to light my soft flame a gust of wind comes by and blows it out. i mean, it lights back up because its a Xikar, but still... thats freakin nuts.
    You should have posted this to that other thread. God is trying to tell you something. (jk)
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Roberto99:
    kuzi16:
    You should have posted this to that other thread. God is trying to tell you something. (jk)
    heh
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Roberto99:
    kuzi16:
    i dont do well in subtleties. i need a smack in the face.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    stad:
    Washington has the most uncivilized smoking conditions I've ever had the displeasure of smoking in!
    Ever been to Pennsylvania?