Home Cigar 101

Resting

2»

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Thats what I'm thinking of doing basically. I've also thought about tagging my cigars in case I stick two of the same cigar in there I'll know which is which.
    yeah i do that. every cigar in my humidor has a date on it.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    How are you tagging them?
    masking tape and a pen. (bll point doesnt smear) i put it over the cello where the band sits.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Hey fellas, I don't know if this is the post that Kuzi was referring to, but it is on page three here, started by yours truly.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/705.aspx

Zimmy made a post that had a nice baseline to start from in gauging your own tastes regards to agind/resting.
    Thanks Smoke. I'll check it out, glad to see you trolling again ;)
    Ha we're even!
    not for long.... youll over take me for good soon.
    Dammit you passed me again. THis is sad I need to do work.
    madurofan:
    Dammit you passed me again. THis is sad I need to do work.
    yes, yes you do need to do work. i think you are trying to pass me up. im not trying to stay in the lead. im just trying to exicute my 1000th post contest plan. itll be hard to do but ill give er the old college try.
    ...actually, i better slow down. i need to figure out what to give in said contest... and when ill buy it. damnit. full schedual. poo.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    madurofan:
    Now all that said I don't buy into the six weeks thing, one week is plenty for me, if it takes longer than one week to get the RH right IMO then you need to look at changing your humidor setup.
    Is that necessarily the case, maddy? For example, if you've got strictly passive humidification -- which the vast majority of people have -- and you add, say, a box of fresh cigars to your humidor, ISTM it might take a few weeks to get the new stogies to the proper RH and for everything to even back out.

There's not really anything wrong with that humidor setup. It's just that it takes it a little time to handle big jobs. One week is plenty for you, but you have an Oasis.

Very good point Urby. Let me throw out the disclaimer. I'm almost always talking about individual sticks, I'm not a box buyer. Its also true I have a Cigar Oasis. But the beads which most of you are using are very powerful and in a desktop humidor IMO you shouldn't need more than a week. But thats my opinion HARDLY a fact or even meant to be misconstrued as me telling you what you shoudl do. Just my two cents nothing more or less.
    I'm actually trying not to pass you I want to see your 1000th post contest so I can one up you ;). LOL
    ha! thats great.
    im not sure on the prize yet. i got over 200 posts to think about it.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    kuzi16:
    ha! thats great.
    im not sure on the prize yet. i got over 200 posts to think about it.
    At the pace you guys have been on today, you may get that over the weekend.
    ive just been on a roll today. itll taper off over the weekend. im actually gunna try to get the blending 101 thing going and that will limit my time here.
  • I read an article recently that debated this question, and it didn't really come to an answer. But from what I read, you can age your cigars, and the minimum time they should age is 6 months, and the maximum 10 years or so depending on whether the cigar is full bodied or not. But from what I read, it really isn't a HUGE deal if you smoke them right out of the shop. And for the original poster, I'm like you. I run to the cigar store about once every two weeks or so to restock my humidor, because I just don't have the time or money to age cigars for 6 months. But for two years I've had no complaints. Just do what you feel is right and don't worry about the rest. As long as you enjoy the cigar then what else is there?
    youre right. almost every time i go into the shop and grab a few i stop and have a fresh smoke. though i PREFER them to sit 6 weeks to get them to my RH i have no problem smoking at their RH if good friends are involved.... heck they dont have to even be good friends. they can be some random guys that can have a good conversation.

earlier in this thread someojne posted a link to another thread in this forum that was discussingf the same question. in the linked thread i spoke of an issue of CA where they smoked 12- 19 year old cubans. ...not all cigars will top out at 10 years. some do very well beyond that.

my best advice is buy a bunch of cigars and immediatly smoke one. then smoke one every 6-8 months untill they taste AWESOME. then smoke the rest as fast as you can.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey C.K. I always buy two at a time, one for now one to age. You will taste the difference is most cases. Keep a notebook about flavors you taste ( good or bad) and see if they are different when you get to the second one. I have many that have been aging for several years, most 6 months to 3 year, and the cigars that I buy and smoke soon afterwards. There are differences. I use to buy whatever I could , smoke them all ( not in one day ) and buy more. Nothing wrong with that, I enjoyed almost every one. Still every premium is ready to go when it is on the shelf or in your hand. Just enjoy.
    kaspera79:
    Keep a notebook about flavors you taste ( good or bad)
    i cant reccomend this enough!!! DO IT!!