Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Mano a Mano con Cusano Habano

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
I rated the Cusano LXI Sun Grown Robusto some time ago. This one reminds me in some ways of that; especially in the atrocious burn. This one, though, had no mention of LXI nor of sun grown on the label. as for the band, I discover to my dismay that so far all the pictures I have taken of cigars under review have been of the cigar in action, with the band off, the end chewed, and an ash busy. Now on, I'll have to reform my method, and take pics pre-light so I can compare the bands.

like so:

This stick was a Toro Gordo, 6x54. I usually don't care for fat sticks. She sported a dark sungrown wrapper, veiny, firm except at foot and head. The wrapper smelt strong of barn and spice. The foot smelt of barn. The taste was salty leather. Uncapped super easy. Had a very open draw tasting of barn and spice.

I lit her up with one match, but one side was reluctant to start -- had to touch that up with a second match.It lit bitter, but straightened right out after that. Mild, dry, ample smoke. Mild retro. Try to describe the flavor I just have to concede it's elusive. Some leather, some barn, small spice, small wood. Coated hte mouth, Easy to live with. Nice aroma. Then the burn disaster proceeded to unfold. A half hour in, it tunneled. Had to tough up the outside. Another quarter hour and it canoed. Got so bad I stepped out on the driveway and cut the lagging side of the canoe off with scissors. When I relit it, it began to spew lit cinders about the garage floor. I've never seen a sparkler like that before. In five minutes, it began to canoe again. At an hour, I pitched it. Tired of fooling with that.

Had a pleasant stinginger. Got a strong morning mouth which went well with coffee. A mild wheeze.

I rate this two and a half stars, but only if you have the eyesight of one of Belisarius' Janissaries..

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Hmm sounds like it had potential if no burn problems. I've only had 1 Cusano, I think it was the Cusano Corojo 97 (or 99 can't remember name). Still have 3 left with 3 years of age I need to revisit.

What do you keep your personal humis at if you don't mind me asking? Years ago when I dropped from 70rh to 65 my burn problems disappeared completely. Even sticks that arrive wet I just let them sit for 6 months before lighting and no burn problems ever. Just a thought since I recall you discussing how wet a local B&M was.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blurr:
    Hmm sounds like it had potential if no burn problems. I've only had 1 Cusano, I think it was the Cusano Corojo 97 (or 99 can't remember name). Still have 3 left with 3 years of age I need to revisit.

What do you keep your personal humis at if you don't mind me asking? Years ago when I dropped from 70rh to 65 my burn problems disappeared completely. Even sticks that arrive wet I just let them sit for 6 months before lighting and no burn problems ever. Just a thought since I recall you discussing how wet a local B&M was.
    70%

Trying to find some beads here locally, so I can bring it down to 65

Pan of salt in there now... but that does not appear to have dropped the RH more than a point or two

Drier weather coming up

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)