Home General Discussion
Options

A trip to Cuba.... your thoughts and input ?

jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
I have an opportunity to travel to Cuba in January as part of a small group. It is a little expensive (7 days) but seems to be very interesting.

Obviously I might get the opportunity to smoke a few ISOM sticks but no way to bring any back.

Has anyone been there? Thoughts ? Safety?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dont talk *** about fidel while there.

but seriously, from what i hear its fairly safe as long as you are not viewed as a threat to the government.

of course i am in no way an expert on this. soooo... take that with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    I was under the impression that americans can not go to cuba?
  • Options
    insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    Rail Jockey:
    Sure they can. Most wouldn't want to though. We just had a server from the club I work at come back form Cuba a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    You can fly to Cuba but you have to fill out an application and a travel affIdafit. You will also need a visa the government issues these for travel to Cuba for students Cuban Americans and the press also student studying and buisness conferences. I'm not sure if you can fly to Cuba for a vacation. That is directly you may have to go through Canada or the Caribeanbut technically it is still illegal. From my understanding Americans cannot vacation in Cuba unless pror approval from the Us tressary.
  • Options
    Gaetano7890:
    American plains cannot fly to Cuba or even over it. Whe we went to Jamaica are flight was longer due to that. You have to fly from Canada from my understanding, not sure if our passport is good either. Special circumstances like working for the government being born in Cuba or a journalist are allowed. Students may but all have to get permission to go by the government
    when i flew from miami to nicaragua we flew directly over cuba. i have pictures to prove it.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigar Aficionado did a great article in one of there magazines late last year. Points out great places to stay, eat, tour, and of course smoke cigars. Find the article and give it a go. If they ever fix this unneeded worthless embargo I plan on vacationing there. Would love to now if I could.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Gaetano7890:
    American plains cannot fly to Cuba or even over it. Whe we went to Jamaica are flight was longer due to that. You have to fly from Canada from my understanding, not sure if our passport is good either. Special circumstances like working for the government being born in Cuba or a journalist are allowed. Students may but all have to get permission to go by the government
    when i flew from miami to nicaragua we flew directly over cuba. i have pictures to prove it.
    CLICK
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    Sorry i miss type us and American airlines can't. A couple from Phill we meti flew air Jamaica and could . That's how are flight was I should have explained myself better when I said American. Mlol
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    When you go to Cuba you have to fit in and be confident. It's like the first day in prison. If you set yourself up as a tough guy right away, it can be an okay time, if you show weakness they will eat you alive.
    The only way to show dominance is to catch them off guard. Say Fidel is a bearded Douche and then say Baseball (their national past time) is ghey. When they approach you hit them with a witty saying about how capitalism is WAY BETTER than communism...

Then they will respect you, trust me...
  • Options
    Rail Jockey:
    Its not easy but I would be going with the group I belong to (I am a member of The World Affairs Council) and they have special passes and permission and are going on a private chartered flight. I did some reading and looks fairly safe. Seems like a great adventure so I am excited to learn more.

Has anyone been there ?
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Rail Jockey:
    Normally you can't. It requires a special application to the Department of State (I think state) where you have to state your business there and must not contribute anything to the Cuban economy or bring anything back. Usually applications are denied unless you are going on a humanitarian/church mission, studying abroad, or legit learning about the culture.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jadelt:
    I have an opportunity to travel to Cuba in January as part of a small group. It is a little expensive (7 days) but seems to be very interesting.

Obviously I might get the opportunity to smoke a few ISOM sticks but no way to bring any back.

Thanks
    Jim sounds like a great trip. I saw Andrew Zimmerman on a show from there and besides eating weird crap, the people seem very welcoming. Maybe I'm wrong but I think they would treat tourists very well. Of course I haven't traveled worldwide like some people.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Even though it's Cuba...don't buy any cigars on the beach. You're as likely to get a counterfeit in Cuba as you are elsewhere...only difference is these might, and I stress might, have Cuban tobacco...they might also have hair, newspaper or chicken feathers.
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    jadelt:

Thanks
    Jim sounds like a great trip. I saw Andrew Zimmerman on a show from there and besides eating weird crap, the people seem very welcoming. Maybe I'm wrong but I think they would treat tourists very well. Of course I haven't traveled worldwide like some people.
    I am kind of excited to see all the really old American Cars that they keep alive and running on the streets for daily use.
    I think they are happy to see tourist dollars. Strange way Americans have to get funky "tourist" money called Cuban Convertible Currency (CUC). Cant use any US credit cards due to the trade embargo.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kuzi16:
    dont talk *** about fidel while there.

but seriously, from what i hear its fairly safe as long as you are not viewed as a threat to the government.

of course i am in no way an expert on this. soooo... take that with a grain of salt.
    You won't have time to talk smack about Fidel, Raol. or the government. When I was there the Cubans were doing most of that. It is NOT an oppressed place at all, despite what some might say.
  • Options
    jadelt:
    Rail Jockey:
    Its not easy but I would be going with the group I belong to (I am a member of The World Affairs Council) and they have special passes and permission and are going on a private chartered flight. I did some reading and looks fairly safe. Seems like a great adventure so I am excited to learn more.

Has anyone been there ?
    My wife and I were there in 2011. It is a poor country, but not as bad as you see in Mexico for instance or even in any major N. American city.

As far as safety goes it is one of the safest places in the world to travel to. That is not my opinion that is something you can check out for yourself online. We will be going back there probably in 2013.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the latest info I've found regarding CC's. I copied it from a post by Lonewolf2011 who had posted it here on these threads in October of 2011. The section regarding the purchase of cigars is particularly interesting, I think, but it raises the question of gifted cigars. Here's the post:

The official word from the US Treasury Dept, last updated in 2004. CUBAN CIGAR UPDATE Recent changes to the Cuban Assets Control Regulations, 31 C.F.R. Part 515 (the “Regulations”), administered and enforced by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (“OFAC”), have prompted OFAC to revise the Cuban Cigar Update previously issued on June 19, 1998. This notice provides important information to the public on Cuban-origin tobacco products. Importation of Cuban-Origin Cigars Into the United States There is now an across the board ban on the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products, as well as most other products of Cuban origin. This prohibition extends to such products acquired in Cuba, irrespective of whether a traveler is licensed by OFAC to engage in Cuba travelrelated transactions, and to such products acquired in third countries by any U.S. traveler, including purchases at duty free shops. Importation of these Cuban goods is prohibited whether the goods are purchased directly by the importer or given to the importer as a gift. Similarly, the import ban extends to Cuban-origin tobacco products offered for sale over the Internet or through the catalog mail purchases. Prior to August 1, 2004, persons returning to the United States who were licensed under the Regulations to engage in Cuba travel-related transactions were authorized by general license to import up to $100 worth of Cuban merchandise as accompanied baggage. Cuban tobacco and alcohol products were included in that general license. That general license was removed from the Regulations. Transactions Involving Cuban-Origin Goods in Third Countries The question is often asked whether United States citizens or permanent resident aliens of the United States may legally purchase Cuban origin goods, including tobacco and alcohol products, in a third country for personal use outside the United States. The answer is no. The Regulations prohibit persons subject to the jurisdiction of the United States from purchasing, transporting, importing, or otherwise dealing in or engaging in any transactions with respect to any merchandise outside the United States if such merchandise (1) is of Cuban origin; or (2) is or 2 has been located in or transported from or through Cuba; or (3) is made or derived in whole or in part of any article which is the growth, produce or manufacture of Cuba. Thus, in the case of cigars, the prohibition extends to cigars manufactured in Cuba and sold in a third country and to cigars manufactured in a third country from tobacco grown in Cuba. Cigars Produced from Cuban Tobacco Seed OFAC does not consider cigars produced from tobacco grown and harvested in a third country from Cuban seeds to constitute a growth or product of Cuba. Therefore, the Regulations do not prevent transactions or dealing in those products by persons subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, as long as there is no interest of Cuba or a Cuban national, direct or indirect, in the sale of such cigars. Criminal penalties for violation of the Regulations range up to $1,000,000 in fines for corporations, $250,000 for individuals and up to 10 years in prison. Civil penalties of up to $65,000 per violation may be imposed by OFAC. Suspected embargo violations may be reported telephonically to OFAC's Enforcement Division at (202)622-2430 or via facsimile at 202 622-1657. Date 09/30/2004

I have been told that a US citizen is prohibited from OWNING a CC no matter where in the world that citizen happens to be. If that's true, then a gifted CC is as illegal as one you've purchased. The above seems to me to deal primarily with the issue of importation, though, so I don't know where that leaves us. My personal feeling is that buying and smoking them while you're there would be as safe as any other aspect of your trip. I doubt the US is going to have undercover agents looking to bust unsuspecting US citizens for smoking a cigar.

• Options
    j0z3r:
    Even though it's Cuba...don't buy any cigars on the beach. You're as likely to get a counterfeit in Cuba as you are elsewhere...only difference is these might, and I stress might, have Cuban tobacco...they might also have hair, newspaper or chicken feathers.
    I don't know about the chickens feathers or hair. These will definatley be Cuban, but they will not be what they represent them as and will not be a good experience for you. Buy ONLY in the licsensed Casa's.
  • Options
    jadelt:
    Bigshizza:
    jadelt:

Thanks
    I am kind of excited to see all the really old American Cars that they keep alive and running on the streets for daily use.
    I think they are happy to see tourist dollars. Strange way Americans have to get funky "tourist" money called Cuban Convertible Currency (CUC). Cant use any US credit cards due to the trade embargo.
    Everyone going to Cuba has to convert their money in the Convertible Peso. That is the Tourist currency. Those old cars you want to see are everywhere. Don't be too surprised but most of them are also running diesel engines LMAO. I swear.