Home Ratings & Reviews

Nub Maduro

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
Alright as many of you know I went to the Nub Maduro release party tonight. I was unaware at the time but this was the official release party, we were the first people to smoke the nub maduro. First I'm going to share a little information with you guys then I'll give me short review.

First off I found out that the maduro took much longer to come out than Sam originally hoped bc it took him forever to find the right blend. At some point he decided he wanted it to be a Brazilian maduro leaf, none of the current Oliva cigars are the Brazilian leaf they are all Conneticut Broadleaf, so they had to find the leaf.

Second the much anticipated nub miami, which is the collaboration between Sam Leccia and Ernesto Padilla has not even been created yet. Ernesto still hasn't got his license for his factory so he isn't making anything on his own yet. Once that happens they will start working on that. Someone messaged Sam on twitter during the event and said "I just smoked a nub Miami, AWESOME!". Sam started laughing and said, "uh no you haven't, I haven't even smoked one yet".

Finally Sam and Oliva are working on a new project, which he wouldn't divulge the name of but he just got done shooting the ad for it in Cigar Aficianado. It is 100% Ligero, Wrapper, Binder, Filler AND its a traditional vitola. I unsuccessfully tried to con him in to hooking me up with one. He had them with him but said they weren't ready.

OK on to the mini review. Well first I'll let you know that they only had 8 boxes and the event started at 5 and they were sold out by 6:30. I was trying to get enough to spread the wealth around to a few people but was only able to get my hands on 4, all of them were the 460 Torpedo. I smoked one there, I'm keeping one to put a few months of resting on and the other two have already been promised to our friend kuzi. Although I was able to get two additional custom rolled maduro's, Sam came up with a really cool new concept and has a signature band which he puts on all the cigars he rolls himself. One of those I'm keeping one of those is going to be bombed to a BOTL, I'm putting the names of two people who recently bombed me in a hot and whichever name I pull is getting a bomb including one of these. You two should know who you are, you bombed me with cigars you know I wanted but couldn't get my hands on. Be prepared, you're both getting hit but one of you will be getting the nub.

Anyways let me get my ADD ass back on track ... review.
I was at the event talking with friends etc, so I didn't get much of a prelight impression other than it looks like a very natural maduro, its not black by any stretch its a chocolate brown. After lighting it my first puff was immediate dissappointment, it was harsh. Second puff more of the same. Sadness was setting in. Then out of no where it settled down and tasted like I had just poured straight Nestle chocolate powder in my mouth. Living up to the nub concept it pretty much stayed exactly the same throughout. It wasn't complex at all and I was only getting the one flavor out of it. Of course I was drinking a little gentleman jack neat, courtesy of nub and wasn't really trying to "review" it. If I had been contemplating it I may have have pulled more from it but I was enjoying the event and jsut puffing the cigar. I liked this cigar, I doubt it will make it into my regular rotation like the nub Cameroon has but it will be smoked again. Its a bit more expensive than the other nubs at $6.50 (I know some of this is SCHIP but ...) but its another quality Oliva product. Sam's official smoke time on the box is 61 minutes. It took me roughly the same amount of time.

Comments

• Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing all of that with us. I'm anxious to try the maduro myself, I just have to wait for it to finally be on the shelves. Sounds like you had a pretty good time. Oh, and you're a lucky son-of-a-gun, lol.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Matt Marvel:
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing all of that with us. I'm anxious to try the maduro myself, I just have to wait for it to finally be on the shelves. Sounds like you had a pretty good time. Oh, and you're a lucky son-of-a-gun, lol.
    Thanks Matt, it was quite a good time.
  • TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Great info on coming attractions! I like the sound of Sam and Olivas ligero project. It's a great time to be a BOTL!
  • tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    just read this...i need to get my hands on one of these
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    sounds like a good time maddy. I'm going to have to put this cigar on my to try list for sure.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Thanks for the review and additional info Maddy much appreciated... sounds like some interesting stuff going on out there in cigar land !
  • smokestersmokester Posts: 131
    Sounds great can't wait to try one of these let us know how it is when you smoke the other one with some age on it.
  • Thanks Maddy. Did they have any estimate as to when these would be available to those less fortunate souls who couldn't attend the kick off party?
    2-3 weeks is when my local B&M will get their full shipment.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    two were promised to me? naw... just one.
    kuzi16:
    two were promised to me? naw... just one.
    Too late.
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    Can't wait to try one of these out. One of my friends told me a local B&M got some in not sure if its just a limited supply or not. I'll have to wait untill tomorrow when they open up
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I got my box of Nub Maduro in today!
    I broke the golden rule
    I smoked one right out of the box the same day USPS arrived.
    It was only 2 days in transit!
    I paid the price, the wrapper split about 1/2 way through and about 1/4" in length of the cigar.

Miraculously this didnt continue to split and it corrected itself! I was amazed at the self correcting cigar.
    Overall the flavor was good. It was a nub. Flavor kicked in early and stayed strong throughout!

I tried my first nub stand on my car and the thing toppled over and got ash all over my car! funny stuff!!
  • 0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    I just got 2 Nub Maduros with the 5 Vegas Relic daily deal from a few days back. These will be the first Nubs I've ever smoked and it's a brand new flavor. I must say I'm pretty pumped.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    anyone know when ccom will get more relic boxes? it's been on order forever! btw, I need to try some of these maduros... but won't get any till those relics get in, I've got to have patience.