Home General Discussion

A cool find...

I was visiting a B&M today in a new town, where I have family, looking for something to take to the lake with me tonight. I didn't expect to find much, and didn't, but I was looking in a humidor and I think I got lucky. They had a box of CAO black sitting in the back. I took one out and went to the register to pay, and to my surprise I see a kid that I knew from high school. When he checked me out he rang up my other items and let the stick "slip" into the bag...SCORE! So now I'm here reading about CAO black and it seems like a good find. I'm not sure if I should smoke it tonight like I planned, or take it home and throw a few months on it first...Thoughts?

Comments

• JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    I've enjoyed the black everytime I've smoked it. My vote is to smoke it tonight.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Smoke it tonight, then go get the rest of the box. If you like the Black, try the VR as well.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the black doesnt age all that well. ... not that it loses flavor but i feel it doesnt need to age. its great as is.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    Ok, I just finished it about an hour ago. My God! That little sucker bout knocked me on my ass! I really enjoyed it, but I think I shoulda had more than a few crawfish in my belly fore I took it on. This was the first thing i've smoked that came wrapped in cedar, the 5 vegas serie A's I got didn't have the cedar on them..., and I think it definitely came out in the flavor profile. I found it to be medium-full, leaning hard into full bodied by the last third. I got a lot of pepper in it the whole way through, and a nutty/almond flavor when I first started which moved slowly into a smooth chocolaty coffee taste about an inch in. The ash held on for dear life and didn't drop till about 1.5 inches. The burn was razor straight the entire smoke, and needed no correction. It lasted about an hour and 15 minutes. I'm not sure what I think about it yet. I usually don't smoke something quite that powerful, but I get a taste for it once in awhile. I'm thinking about picking up a couple more before I leave town, cause my B&M back home doesn't have any...
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    About how long and wide was the cigar, because a 1 hour 15 mins smoke time is a bit short, that may have been some of the spiciness that you were getting.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    It was a storm, so pretty much robusto 5-50. It may have been as long as an hour and a half, I kinda lose time when I'm smoking, haha.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Isn't it great when that happens? It always seems short, but then you look at the time and realized that you just spent 2 hours sitting and smoking. That's about right for a robusto, it's been close to a year since I smoked one of those, pretty much forgot the flavor profile, actually I forgot everything about it except that I liked it.