Options

The R.N.C.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    http://www.politifact.com

Not sure if this has been posted before by me, but I enjoy reading this for fact checking. It depresses me that neither side can seem to inch above averaging half truths. It is kind of interesting that in my (completely unscientific, and based on my faulty memory) perusing of this site, that Republicans for the most part are either fully/mostly true in their statements, or pants on fire lying. Democrats seem to stay mostly in the half truth double speak area. Makes me not want to let either hold my wallet.

Heck, I would go so far to say, if one politician could make it through an election without dipping below "mostly true", they would get my vote whether I agreed with all their stances or not.*

*jThanatos is actually against supporting any candidate for any reason, ever.
    sounds about right,too. Love the "pants on fire" truth-o-meter! :D
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    jthanatos:

Not sure if this has been posted before by me, but I enjoy reading this for fact checking. It depresses me that neither side can seem to inch above averaging half truths. It is kind of interesting that in my (completely unscientific, and based on my faulty memory) perusing of this site, that Republicans for the most part are either fully/mostly true in their statements, or pants on fire lying. Democrats seem to stay mostly in the half truth double speak area. Makes me not want to let either hold my wallet.

Heck, I would go so far to say, if one politician could make it through an election without dipping below "mostly true", they would get my vote whether I agreed with all their stances or not.*

politics is what happens when ideology meets actual policy
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    jthanatos:

Kind of crazy aye? One of the ones I think is a bit unfair is this : http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/promise/522/bring-democrats-and-republicans-together-pass-agen/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gM-1HbK4qU
    Just one reason why Obama should not be at fault. I mean I can't think of a single modern day president that tried so hard to work together even adding many republican ideas into legislation (health care mandate, massive tax cuts in the stimulus...). Even adding almost 4 trillion dollars into the "deal" to stop from defaulting the country that the GOP would still not sign onto. He pissed off much of his base because he tried so hard.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    This one is good:

'At a time when nobody thought we'd ever see a new steel mill built in America, we took a chance and built one in a corn field in Indiana. Today, Steel Dynamics is one of the largest steel producers in the United States.'- romney

The Fort Wayne, Ind.-based steel company now employs about 6,000 employees. But it was not built by Bain Capital alone. Romney's private equity firm invested $18.2 million in the project, just as plans for the mill were being finalized in June 1994. That figure was more than doubled by state and county subsidies, adding up to more than $37 million. Bain was the U.S.-based company with the greatest stake in Steel Dynamics Inc., but it was bolstered by a friendly local government that, according to the Los Angeles Times, "also levied a new income tax to finance infrastructure improvements to benefit the steel mill over the heated objections of some county residents." - taken from abc news
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    phobicsquirrel:
    This one is good:

'At a time when nobody thought we'd ever see a new steel mill built in America, we took a chance and built one in a corn field in Indiana. Today, Steel Dynamics is one of the largest steel producers in the United States.'- romney

The Fort Wayne, Ind.-based steel company now employs about 6,000 employees. But it was not built by Bain Capital alone. Romney's private equity firm invested $18.2 million in the project, just as plans for the mill were being finalized in June 1994. That figure was more than doubled by state and county subsidies, adding up to more than $37 million. Bain was the U.S.-based company with the greatest stake in Steel Dynamics Inc., but it was bolstered by a friendly local government that, according to the Los Angeles Times, "also levied a new income tax to finance infrastructure improvements to benefit the steel mill over the heated objections of some county residents." - taken from abc news
    ...but government doesn't build anything...
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    JDH:
    phobicsquirrel:
    This one is good:

though the government does build stuff (roads, damns, etc...) the one thing they do not create is "wealth"
    those things (roads, damns, etc...) help but only businesses build/create wealth.

the reason the government doesnt build wealth is because those things are not owned or sold and they took money out of the system to create them (making them neutral). to create wealth one must take raw product and change it in a way that makes it more valuable than the raw product, then sell it for its greater value.

for example:
    i create wealth when i take raw chocolate and other secret ingredients and make them more valuable by creating and selling truffles.
    government takes raw product and creates something that is bought by everyone and sold by no one. no actual wealth is created. there is no final sale therefore that potential added value is not injected back into the the system via sales to a private company.

Government doesnt care about profit. they take what they want via taxes.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    kuzi16:
    JDH:
    phobicsquirrel:
    This one is good:

though the government does build stuff (roads, damns, etc...) the one thing they do not create is "wealth"
    those things (roads, damns, etc...) help but only businesses build/create wealth.

the reason the government doesnt build wealth is because those things are not owned or sold and they took money out of the system to create them (making them neutral). to create wealth one must take raw product and change it in a way that makes it more valuable than the raw product, then sell it for its greater value.

for example:
    i create wealth when i take raw chocolate and other secret ingredients and make them more valuable by creating and selling truffles.
    government takes raw product and creates something that is bought by everyone and sold by no one. no actual wealth is created. there is no final sale therefore that potential added value is not injected back into the the system via sales to a private company.

Government doesnt care about profit. they take what they want via taxes.
    This whole "problem" is much ado about nothing - all based on a soundbite - something the President said, taken completely out of context, that conservatives are trying to twist into something that was not said. At best, it's dishonest, at worst, it's deliberate propaganda.

Nobody (except crony capitalists) expects government to create individual wealth, however, everyone expects government to provide the best possible environment for the creation of individual wealth, as long as innocents are not damaged. God forbid that the goal of government should ever become the creation of individual wealth, because then, job 1 for government officials will be to bribe or steal public monies for personal gain. The cop on the beat should not be there to become wealthy - he's there to prevent others from harming others, as the law proscribes. That is the role of government.

"Taxes purchase civilization." Benjamin Franklin