Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Fav Westerns

Comments

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Theres a couple on there that I wouldnt put in my top ten like Unforgiven or Butch Cassidy,, Butch cassidy was an awesome movie but somehow seems out of place,, Id ad Tombstone and another one of my favs is the Cullpepper Cattle Co, Pale Rider would be in there over two mules for sister Sarah
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    This list is terrible. They don't even list the best, the Outlaw Josey Wales. Tombstone should be on there, too. Plus Fistful of Dollars and the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Uhhh....bad list really, terrible... Some great flicks on there, but some great ones left off.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    This list is terrible. They don't even list the best, the Outlaw Josey Wales. Tombstone should be on there, too. Plus Fistful of Dollars and the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    absolutjerabsolutjer Posts: 120
    I agree Tombstone needs to be in there. There were a few good films on that list, but no way does that qualify as a top 10 for best westerns. I have to put one of my fav's in there "Rio Bravo" but I am a little partial to The Duke so that pick may be biased.
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    #1 Wes. That is all.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Well, it wasn't my top 10 either. My top 10 westerns would be :

The Wild Bunch
    The Outlaw Josey Wales
    Dances With Wolves (would have been the best western ever made IMO if they hadn't shot the horse)
    The Big Country
    The Good The Bad & The Ugly
    Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
    Tombstone
    Jeremiah Johnson
    Nevada Smith
    The Getaway w/ Steve McQueen (I know, it's set in the mid-20th century, but it's still a western, I think)

Looks like Peckenpaw edged out the Duke in my top 10. If the list were longer, I'd have included True Grit and Red River (both with John Wane). Another favorite is the quirky Sergio Leon film "Duck You Sucker". I really like the story he was telling, and the way he told it. If he had cast Anthony Quinn and Peter O'Toole it would probably be my #1 best Western of all time, but it was badly miscast (Rod Steiger just didn't get the job done). What about your top 10?
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Silverado for the win followed by lonesome dove
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    The Searchers is my personal favorite. Tombstone was good as well.
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty close to some of the areas that the original True Grit was shot. There's a town about 3 hours drive north of here, Ouray, Colorado, that has True Grit days and the paddy wagon from the movie still sits in the city park. In fact, I drove through one of the scenes this past weekend. I would have to put True Grit on my list.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Shane? Give me a break. Magnificent 7, hands down the best soundtrack. As far as Clint movies, I'd agree a spagetti should be there...GB&U would be my pick. And either Josie Wales or Pale Rider "Preacher? Preacher? We all love you Preacher... I love you!... Thank you! Good-bye!"
  • Options
    Yeah that list is pretty damn terrible. Of all the Clint Eastwood westerns they chose Two Mules?! Shirley MacLaine?! You might as well put Smokey and the Bandit on there and have Sally Fields get top billing.

Any of the Eastwood Man with No Name films would've sufficed.

And what's with the Australian outback choice? You admit that a western should be set in the American frontier but this one was picked up anyway because...?

I realize baby boomers have a thing for Paul Newman and Robert Redford, but "Butch" was a pretty meh movie.

If 1992's Unforgiven is going to get a mention, than where's Silverado? Tombstone? Wyatt Earp? Pale Rider? Hello?

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    uhm.......Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in the top 10??
    Seriously?
    I list that one as a "forgettable" movie. Mostly because I forgot about it. LOL!

There are so many Westerns with John Wayne, Audey Murphy, Henry Fonda, Gary Cooper and those types, that it would be hard to come up with 10.
    Silverado and Tombstone are "modern" westerns that I would consider excellent westerns and either should be in the top 50 westerns. Not sure where I would put them against a list of the classics.

That list, while it mentions some great westerns, is no way the top 10. Rio Bravo, The Searchers and The Comancheros isn't even mentioned.
    Sad.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I forgot to add The Sacketts. "I don't believe it, I'm gonna kill me two Sacketts in one day!!"
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    The Mercenary
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    A Fistful of Dynamite
    The Great Silence
    Django
    Death Rides a Horse
    The Big Gundown
    Run, Man, Run!
    Compa
  • Options
    docbp87:
    The Mercenary
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    A Fistful of Dynamite
    The Great Silence
    Django
    Death Rides a Horse
    The Big Gundown
    Run, Man, Run!
    Compa
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    The High Plains Drifter, Hang em High, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Tombstone and I cant believe no one has added this one; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, absolute classic!
  • Options
    fla-gypsy:
    The High Plains Drifter, Hang em High, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Tombstone and I cant believe no one has added this one; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, absolute classic!
    "I'm your Huckleberry......Say When!" Val Kilmer made that film.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Shane? Give me a break. Magnificent 7, hands down the best soundtrack. As far as Clint movies, I'd agree a spagetti should be there...GB&U would be my pick. And either Josie Wales or Pale Rider "Preacher? Preacher? We all love you Preacher... I love you!... Thank you! Good-bye!"
    Beatnic, come on man!! Shane is one of my favorite all time movies. Jack Palance absolutely defined the western bad guy in that movie. The barroom fight where Joey and the dog hid under the table - I always wondered how they got the dog and the boy to look back and forth in unison. And the exchange between Shane and Jack Palance just before the last gunfight ending with - "So what have you heard about me, Shane?" -- "I heard you're a low down yankee liar"! I might just have to send you a pack of Swisher Grapes for that Beatnic! :-)

It's tough to come up with just ten, but I think there should at least be a couple from this group in the list: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance; She Wore a Yellow Ribbon; Rooster Cogburn; Pale Rider; Outlaw Josey Wales, and The Good/Bad/Ugly. And for more 'modern' westerns I also loved Tombstone, Silverado and The Long Riders. Open Range was also pretty damn good and kind of flew under the radar.

Shane! Come back Shane!!
  • Options
    Johnny Ringo: [Ringo steps up to Doc] And you must be Doc Holliday. Doc Holliday: That's the rumor. Johnny Ringo: You retired too? Doc Holliday: Not me. I'm in my prime. Johnny Ringo: Yeah, you look it. Doc Holliday: And you must be Ringo. Look, darling, Johnny Ringo. The deadliest pistoleer since Wild Bill, they say. What do you think, darling? Should I hate him?
  • Options
    Tombstone:

I won the Movie Trivia Pass for this movie and had a discussion via PM about this scene with whomever I won it from (sorry, can't remember at the moment):

Whan Doc Holliday was lying in the bed dying at the end of the movie, he looked down and said "I'll be damned". Does anyone know what the quote was all about?
  • Options
    Heavy:
    Tombstone:

I won the Movie Trivia Pass for this movie and had a discussion via PM about this scene with whomever I won it from (sorry, can't remember at the moment):

Whan Doc Holliday was lying in the bed dying at the end of the movie, he looked down and said "I'll be damned". Does anyone know what the quote was all about?
    Doc Holliday’s last words, uttered as he died in Colorado at the age of thirty-four. It is thought that Holliday was remarking a rogue such as himself dying in bed, with his boots off.
  • Options
    Rain:
    Heavy:
    Tombstone:

Doc Holliday’s last words, uttered as he died in Colorado at the age of thirty-four. It is thought that Holliday was remarking a rogue such as himself dying in bed, with his boots off.
    Yessir! He supposedly had always said/thought he would die with his boots on, and was shocked to know he was going to die in bed without his 'boots on'. I always thought that was so very cool that the movie included such a subtle nuance based on fact (supposedly, maybe based on legend but who knows), which makes that movie that much more of a classic to me.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I like watching Tombstone and trying to count how many bullets they can get out of their revolvers without reloading.
  • Options
    I agree it's hard to come up with just 10.

One of my favorites is "The Professionals" w/ Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster. Woody Strode, Jack Palance. The dialouge in that film is terrific, and the story is perfect.

Ralph Belamy (to Lee Marvin): You Basturd!

Lee Marvin: Yes Sir. In my case, an accident of birth, but you sir, are a self made man.

• Options
    bbass2:
    I like watching Tombstone and trying to count how many bullets they can get out of their revolvers without reloading.
    Aint it the truth. Another good one for that is Where Eagles Dare, a Clint Eastwood WWII film where they NEVER run out of ammo, and they NEVER re-load.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    Silverado for the win followed by lonesome dove
    +1 MILLION! My two faves for sure!