Home General Discussion
Options

Volcano erupts in Nicaragua

JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
The BBC is reporting that San Cristobal (located in the NW corner of the country) is erupting. I believe this volcano has a history of activity, but I hope it doesn't damage any of the tobacco fields north east of it. Depending on how large the eruption is, and how the prevaling winds are blowing, this could pose a very real threat to the fields around Estili and in the mountains of Honduras.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-19533933

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the volcano is closer to Managua and Leon (and can be seen from the roads that connect the two) Estali, where much of the tobacco is grown, is a 2-3 hour car ride to the north and east of Leon and a touch over 3 from Managua that is almost directly to the south(if i remember the ride correctly).

the article says that Leon and Chinandenga provinces are being evacuated. this leads me to believe that the prevailing winds are blowing the gas and ash west and north not affecting the fields around estali and jalapa. the volcano is east and south of the provence of Estali. im not so much worried about the tobacco but the city of Leon.

here is a pic of the volcano in question. this was taken outside of Managua on the way to Leon. this is the view of the south east side.

• Options
    Well, I sure hope you're right about those prevaling winds, that would take the ash cloud pretty much out to sea.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm no meterologist, but I did stay at a holiday in express.
    but seriously... that's what it looks like anyway.
    on a relatedx note... this isn't growing season. Planting starts in late december early january.if there is a little ash now and then it stopps it may act as a fertalizer.
    here's to optimism.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    I'm no meterologist, but I did stay at a holiday in express.
    but seriously... that's what it looks like anyway.
    on a relatedx note... this isn't growing season. Planting starts in late december early january.if there is a little ash now and then it stopps it may act as a fertalizer.
    here's to optimism.
    Aint nuthin wrong about that kinda thinkin.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pic and insight
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    Thanks for the pic and insight
    +1
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

San Cristobal Volcano is located 145 kilometers northwest of Managua in the vicinity of Chinandega city. Yesterday, at approximately 9:55 hrs the government reported eruption of gas and ashes. The activities is still under assessment by the local authorities. No plan for evacuation at all. The government declares green alert which means simply be alert. I live in Managua and don't feel anything. Life is normal. However, we felt the strong earthquake here with Costa Rica. Our entire embassy compound was shaking. Some people were nervous but I have experienced worst then this in Japan and Indonesia. However, the length was little bit too long. We have a very detail Emergency Action Plan to help the US citizens around Nicaragua. We do not believe there is anything to worry about at this moment. We have a complete team comprised with various expertise- continuously monitoring the situation and working with various US agencies. If anything happen than we will be the first foreign government who will execute both political and logistical assistance. We have learned a lot from the most recent Haiti disaster and we are fully prepared.

The reason some local people are worried because of a myth. They believe every 40 years there will be a earthquake disaster. The last devastating earthquake was in 1972 which practically destroyed entire Managua city. Now it is 40 years. However, the technology has improved a lot over 40 years and we have better data and technology to handle this kind of natural disaster. The truth is no one can predict any natural disaster but the warning systems are better and we are more experienced to deal with this kind of situation.

I do not believe little volcanic ash will help the tobacco plantation. The soil here has been already fertile with volcanic minerals. On top of that ashes might even cover the leaves and block receiving nutrition from the sun light. Nicaragua is known for sun grown tobacco leaves.

The news media sometime do not cover situation based on reality. They love negative news. In fact, the world was less tensed when they covered less about world affairs in the past. Things are very calm here and under control at this moment. I will keep you updated if I hear something.
  • Options
    rzaman:

San Cristobal Volcano is located 145 kilometers northwest of Managua in the vicinity of Chinandega city. Yesterday, at approximately 9:55 hrs the government reported eruption of gas and ashes. The activities is still under assessment by the local authorities. No plan for evacuation at all. The government declares green alert which means simply be alert. I live in Managua and don't feel anything. Life is normal. However, we felt the strong earthquake here with Costa Rica. Our entire embassy compound was shaking. Some people were nervous but I have experienced worst then this in Japan and Indonesia. However, the length was little bit too long. We have a very detail Emergency Action Plan to help the US citizens around Nicaragua. We do not believe there is anything to worry about at this moment. We have a complete team comprised with various expertise- continuously monitoring the situation and working with various US agencies. If anything happen than we will be the first foreign government who will execute both political and logistical assistance. We have learned a lot from the most recent Haiti disaster and we are fully prepared.

The reason some local people are worried because of a myth. They believe every 40 years there will be a earthquake disaster. The last devastating earthquake was in 1972 which practically destroyed entire Managua city. Now it is 40 years. However, the technology has improved a lot over 40 years and we have better data and technology to handle this kind of natural disaster. The truth is no one can predict any natural disaster but the warning systems are better and we are more experienced to deal with this kind of situation.

I do not believe little volcanic ash will help the tobacco plantation. The soil here has been already fertile with volcanic minerals. On top of that ashes might even cover the leaves and block receiving nutrition from the sun light. Nicaragua is known for sun grown tobacco leaves.

The news media sometime do not cover situation based on reality. They love negative news. In fact, the world was less tensed when they covered less about world affairs in the past. Things are very calm here and under control at this moment. I will keep you updated if I hear something.
    Thanks for this news.
  • Options

Some pictures:
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:

Some pictures:
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    Awesome Pics, espcially the last one, Thanks
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Never a good event, but those are some beautiful photos
  • Options
    What the hell are people doing walking around in those pictures? Good pics, by the way. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rip, I hope you and your family are safe.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Awesome pics. Watch what you breathe.
  • Options
    Hi Daniel & Rick, everything is fine and calm here. The air is same as before. Thanks you for caring.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are some awesome pics!! I wish the best for all the people and really hope this will not be serious!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    BumpIO
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great photos, Rip. I hope, as you say, that people are ok and remain that way.

They remind me of when Mt. St. Helen blew her top in the 80's.... I lived about 30 miles from it at the time. Mother Nature is awesome, isn't she??

• Options
    Thanks for your kind prayer. The latest is, they have evacuated 3,000 people who lives very close to the volcano. However, the number can rise upto 20,000 if situation get worse. There is strong activity in the volcano. The Nicaraguan Army has deployed 350 troops to the area to assist with more emergency response. So far I haven't feel anything in the air. It has been raining and the air is clean. Still no emergency alert- things are normal and calm in Managua.
    jlmarta:

They remind me of when Mt. St. Helen blew her top in the 80's.... I lived about 30 miles from it at the time. Mother Nature is awesome, isn't she??

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Thanks for your kind prayer. The latest is, they have evacuated 3,000 people who lives very close to the volcano. However, the number can rise upto 20,000 if situation get worse. There is strong activity in the volcano. The Nicaraguan Army has deployed 350 troops to the area to assist with more emergency response. So far I haven't feel anything in the air. It has been raining and the air is clean. Still no emergency alert- things are normal and calm in Managua.
    jlmarta:

Let us know bro, hope all is well
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    rzaman:
    jlmarta:

Let us know bro, hope all is well
    rzaman, many thanks for these updates and photos. My thoughts and prayers have been for the people living close to the thing, and for no loss of life.

jmarta - we were living in Bellingham when Mt. Saint Hellens blew. What is that, about 250 miles? I remember it perfectly. It was sunday, mothers day, and we were woken by a loud bang. I thought somebody had backed into our garage door or something, but when I couldn't find any damage, I said to myself, I bet that damn mountain blew up!

How did you manage to survive being that close? Were you west of it?