Home Cigar 101

Humidity.............blah

0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
blah blah blah..........I know everyone loves this topic more then even I do but I want opinions once again please. I have the 65% beads and understand that most everyone wants their humi to stay between 65-70% humidity. My 65% beads on the other hand seem to stay just below 65 - around 63-64% RH. Big deal? Not a big deal? Should I had a humi pillow or two in order to raise in a hair?

as always thanks!

Comments

• brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    While the 65% beads hold close to 70% in my cooler, I've found that in my humis they usually stay around 63% without help. What I do is add one of the Drymistat tubes on the opposite side of the humi and they then stay right at 65%. I like them because they're very small and also low maintenance. The Drymistat tries for 70%, so I know that the beads pull from it, but the combination of the two keeps all three of my desktops very stable at 65%.
  • 0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    Maybe the wood snatches a degree or two away from the RH in the air. I'm guessing the heartfelt beads would maybe work the same as well. Like if I was to buy a puck at 70% and combine it with my 65% tube. I guess I'd completely charge the 65% and half charge the 70% puck. That way the 70% would only be humidifying since the 65% isn't enough humidity to make the 70% absorb anything. my head hurts.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    just charge the beads a tad bit more. if i have mine "over charged" (above 80% or so) the RH will be a tick up.
  • leonardleonard Posts: 359
    I use 65% beads and my humis stay at 64-66%. Before beads my humis were around 70-72%. My cigars burn a lot better at 64-66%. If your cigars smoke good then 64% is not a problem.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    brsmith21:
    While the 65% beads hold close to 70% in my cooler, I've found that in my humis they usually stay around 63% without help. What I do is add one of the Drymistat tubes on the opposite side of the humi and they then stay right at 65%. I like them because they're very small and also low maintenance. The Drymistat tries for 70%, so I know that the beads pull from it, but the combination of the two keeps all three of my desktops very stable at 65%.
    It seems many people use a secondary humidity source along with their beads. The only concern with using something like the drymistat is to make sure you use nothing but distilled water with it. Dont use PG or anything to charge it because you are running the risk of the beads absorbing the PG and ruining them. There has been some debate previously on this forum as to whether or not the beads absorbing PG is even possible but I say I'd rather be safe than sorry.
  • brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    madurofan:
    brsmith21:
    It seems many people use a secondary humidity source along with their beads. The only concern with using something like the drymistat is to make sure you use nothing but distilled water with it. Dont use PG or anything to charge it because you are running the risk of the beads absorbing the PG and ruining them. There has been some debate previously on this forum as to whether or not the beads absorbing PG is even possible but I say I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Agreed, better to be safe in that regard. Also, like Kuzi said, the secondary source is not necessary to maintain RH; it does, however, reduce maintenance once established.
  • 0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    I'm taking a chance with completely soaking both my tube and my puck. The reasoning is that I have had my puck 100% charged and my tube 80% charged and my humi still likes to sit at 63%. One thing I have done differently is filled the humi up some with smokes. I have a tray and had the tray filled up with a nice even row of cigars that covered all the vents that allow air to flow from the bottom to the top. They weren't crammed in there or anything but is it better to leave some space on the upper tray so that the vents are free for airflow?

Back to completely charging. The humidity in my house sits between 40-50%, not sure if this is really low but we do use a dehumidifier due to an extremely moist basement (the basement is not where my humi is). Because of this I just don't see a spike happening inside my humi so I am going to take a chance like I said at completely charging the beads to see what happens.

Anyone have to do this besides me?