Home General Discussion
Options

What does it Take?

To smoke? I ask this because I find myself not smoking much; or at least not as much as I would like. Why? I toss it up to this: I am currently looking for a house, actually have one we are waiting on since it's a short sale there are more hoops. Currently the bank want's more info from the seller so that is good for me at that moment, at least my stuff is in order. But the thing is where I live now is a nice however I'm in the middle of a townhome community so when I go on my gated porch my neighbors are right next to me and it's annoying, also I look onto our nice little community street that stretches a lake so there isn't really anything soothing about staring at the street or across it only to see more townhomes.

I do most of my smoking in my office but since it's been so hot lately and I don't have AC I don't go up there that much until later and my wife gripes because I go and hide up there. The house we hopefully will get has a nice deck that is directly overlooking a tone of trees and greens with a creek. So I figure that would be what I need to sit back and enjoy a cigar. Does it matter what type of environment you all smoke in? or am I just picky?

Comments

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Hahaha your not the only one!! I have to deal with people most of the day and the rest I'm in a truck with a bunch a non smokers. I'll usually try to get one in on the drive home from work or when I stop in my local B&M. But it's hard now a days especially now that almost everywhere is non smoking around me! Plus I'm not a bar goer so it makes it harder...but where there is a will there's a way and lounges take the cake
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    My environment has the liking of a taint. So for me it is about having the right mindset to have a stick. If I don't have a mindet that will allow me to fully enjoy one, then I do not burn one.
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    I burn one whenever I get the chance to. After Baghdad in 2005-06, it drove home the point "Life's too short".
    So weather allowing, I'll fire one up.
    Of course, tonight's a crappy windy/sandy night so no smoke.
  • Options
    Steve2010:
    I burn one whenever I get the chance to. After Baghdad in 2005-06, it drove home the point "Life's too short".
    Steve, where in Baghdad were you on 05'? I was at what was the Embassy.
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    Steve2010:
    Steve, where in Baghdad were you on 05'? I was at what was the Embassy.
    I was with the 11th ACR. We started out at Taji, and then moved to Camp Liberty and the Abu Ghraib area right after the big attack on the prison.
    The prison was the center of gravity for our sector, but we patrolled the entire western Baghdad area, mainly around ASRs Tampa/Mobile/Sword/Michigan.
  • Options
    Nice, we probably ran into each other a few times then.
  • Options
    The Marines had the adjacent sector, in and around Khandairi. What a shithole. It was almost like a contest to see who could come into the most contact. I think we broke even.
  • Options
    We did a lot of joint endeavors with 3 ID and SF. We were doing all of the AT efforts, raids on IED factories and such. We also had the security for the Embassy perimeter at one point. I still think that was one of the worst times to be in that city. (sorry for thread hijacking phobic)
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    phobicsquirrel:
    To smoke? I ask this because I find myself not smoking much; or at least not as much as I would like. Why? I toss it up to this: I am currently looking for a house, actually have one we are waiting on since it's a short sale there are more hoops. Currently the bank want's more info from the seller so that is good for me at that moment, at least my stuff is in order. But the thing is where I live now is a nice however I'm in the middle of a townhome community so when I go on my gated porch my neighbors are right next to me and it's annoying, also I look onto our nice little community street that stretches a lake so there isn't really anything soothing about staring at the street or across it only to see more townhomes.

I do most of my smoking in my office but since it's been so hot lately and I don't have AC I don't go up there that much until later and my wife gripes because I go and hide up there. The house we hopefully will get has a nice deck that is directly overlooking a tone of trees and greens with a creek. So I figure that would be what I need to sit back and enjoy a cigar. Does it matter what type of environment you all smoke in? or am I just picky?
    I have found that I am getting very picky on my environment. I haven't smoked nearly as much this year. I won't touch any of my favorites unless the conditions are right and I undoubtedly would prefer an indoor lounge area.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I understand the squirrels sentiments as I would much rather smoke on my back porch or off at some campsite somewhere than at work. I still smoke while riding around on the golf cart at work but it is just not really enjoyable and I rarely smoke a really good cigar there. The green calm of my semi rural 1.5 acre homestead is where I feel the most relaxed.
  • Options
    I would like to smoke daily. The truth being most weekdays im to tired to take the time and enjoy the smoke so i dont. Days off  find me smoking most of the day . I need to retire..
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now... a lot. I love being with my little guy so only when he is sleeping and there is yard work. Now with the fall right around the corner.... after leaves are raked up.... smoking will slow to a crawl.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Smoking always require a relaxing surrounding. It depends where you feel relaxed. So far, I am ok but in the future I don't know. I move from one country to another and the government properties are smoke free area. If I ever get transferred to somewhere where I have no open area or cold climate then I am in big trouble. This a reason, I will always try to avoid first world or developed countries where anti-smoking rules are strict. My work is more or less always the same so I prefer developing countries where I can have a bigger house. Yes, I love smoking that much. Work is important but not more than my mental health. I will not give up my smoking habit. Last time I was in LaPaz, Bolivia- 12,000 fit above sea level, the highest capital on earth, dry, cold and less oxygen. Life was difficult and hard to smoke even a cigarette. Next, I will try to be around Central America or South-East Asia.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I've tried smoking while doing something else like yard work or changing oil a few times, but probably won't again. I don't require a particular setting; just a place to relax and enjoy the smoke.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I like to relax alone with a smoke at home , usually my deck or front porch . If my wifes with me an we are talking about anything I know for whatever reason the smoke always seems to go straight for her and she is sensitive to smoke . Sometimes makes her sneeze a lot and watery eyes but sometimes doesn't bother her too bad at all , maybe the type of cigar ( something else to track ) . I actually was laughing and having fun with her and did an experiment on the deck , I moved to five different places on the deck and each time within minutes she was in a blanket of smoke . Can some people just attract smoke ??? I told her the cigar gods were probably upset with her and she needs to go buy me a box of AF Anejo Sharks to calm them down and make them leave her alone .

I like to be able to have a free mind and something good to drink to just be able to chill out an enjoy .