Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar Flight by Country

bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
A bar with a wide selection of beer will often have "flights" where they bring small glasses of 5 or 6 different types of beer that meet that a certain critieria (style, country, etc). Let's break that down for cigars. Let's say you own a shop and want to do this type of sampler for your customers to see the difference in the taste of tobacco from different countries. Which cigar gives that quintessential flavor from that particular country? Make a list with one cigar for Nicaragua, Honduras, Dominican Republic, and Cuba.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i kinda did it a littel different. i did do it by country, but i did a sampler of each countrty that will show some diversity from that country. these may not be the “best” from each country but they are all puros that accurately represent (in my mind) what the tobaccos from those countries can do. They are all unique but have the common elements that represent the flavor profile of the countries. If you want to know what a country's tobacco will taste like, get these cigars:

Nicaragua – DPG blue, Casa Magna Colorado, JdN Antano, Oliva V, Elogio Serie Habano

Honduras – Camacho Diploma Maduro, Punch Gran Puro, Humo Jaguar by Nestor Plasencia, Sencillo Platinum by God of Fire, Camacho Havanna

Dominican Republic – LG by La Flor Dominicana, OpusX no. 4, Davidoff Puro d'Oro, Aurora 1495 BME Dominicana, Cohiba Puro Dominicana

Cuba - PSD4, Cohiba Siglo IV, Montecristo no.2 , Punch Punch, , HdM Le Hoyo des Dieux

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i kinda did it a littel different. i did do it by country, but i did a sampler of each countrty that will show some diversity from that country. these may not be the “best” from each country but they are all puros that accurately represent (in my mind) what the tobaccos from those countries can do. They are all unique but have the common elements that represent the flavor profile of the countries. If you want to know what a country's tobacco will taste like, get these cigars:

Nicaragua – DPG blue, Casa Magna Colorado, JdN Antano, Oliva V, Elogio Serie Habano

Honduras – Camacho Diploma Maduro, Punch Gran Puro, Humo Jaguar by Nestor Plasencia, Sencillo Platinum by God of Fire, Camacho Havanna

Dominican Republic – LG by La Flor Dominicana, OpusX no. 4, Davidoff Puro d'Oro, Aurora 1495 BME Dominicana, Cohiba Puro Dominicana

Cuba - PSD4, Cohiba Siglo IV, Montecristo no.2 , Punch Punch, , HdM Le Hoyo des Dieux

Wow, this is an awesome place to start really understanding regional differences and common threads. I've never taken notes before because I was a bit overwhelmed to start, but I think this is going to be a good place to do so...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Very nice kuzi
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Awesome thread, I always find myself liking to classify my cigars tastes by region. Especially now that I have a sizeable enough stash to have boxes from every possible cigar land. Will def keep following.
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I love the concept but it sure is a lot easier to sip 5 different beers than smoke 5 sticks at the same time. My taste buds don't remember from one day to the next. Still, I think this is a great idea I just need to take notes and do maybe a week of one country then next week change countries.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I did four cigars one time, took the bands off and had my wife number them. She wrote the numbers down on her computer with what cigar they really were. Well I put them in my humi and let them sit for months. Then I started to smoke them and you know what, I found out that I don't know sh*t cuz I didn't get one right. Keep in mind these weren't cigars I usually smoke, that would be too easy.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

Cuba: Cohiba Gran Reserva Consecha 2003, Behike, Cohiba 1966, Cohiba Sigli VI, Robina Unicos, Don Alejandro Robina, Partagas Series P 1 and 2, series D, Montecristo Gran Reserva, Montecristo #2, any Cuaba, any San Cristobal de La Habana, RyJ short Churchill, Trinidad double robusto and many more. On top of all of those I like the Cuban Davidoff, Cuban State gift- Cohiba Lancero and any aged Cuban

Dominican: Zino Davidoff Crown series, Forbidden X Lancero Phantom, Opus X Lancero and also other Opus, Don Carlos Annevesario, La Aurora 100 Anos, LFD Diez

Nicaraguan: Padron Millenium, Padron 1926 80th, 40th, #9, Family Reserve 45th, 85th

Honduras: Viaje oro Reserva #5, Viaje Platino Reserva #6, Camacho PE, Camacho Corojo, Camacho 10th Anniversary, Camacho Liberty 2006 and 2007

Bahama: La Palina 1986, La Palina Little Bill, Graycliff Original

My top choice is always the Cuban but also enjoy some cigars from other countries. I always enjoy aged cigar and I age them continuously before smoke them
  • Options
    ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    Don't mean to reanimate a dead thread, but I stumbled upon this and thought it might help some others out. Now that I've tried enough cigars to start understanding my likes and dislikes, I thought this thread was interesting. I personally have found that I prefer Nicaraguan cigars thus far, but I found this thread while wondering if there are any cigars from other countries (Dominican Republic, Honduras, etc.) that can match the complexity of my favorites to date. Who knows? Maybe my favorites aren't that complex.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    MOW.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    MOW.
    FTW
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Rain:
    MOW.
    FTW
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:

Honduras: Camacho PE,
    So is there not really any actual Pre Embargo Cuban tobacco in these? If there is actually Cuban tobacco in this cigar then this is not a Honduran Puro
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    ejgorman:
    Don't mean to reanimate a dead thread, but I stumbled upon this and thought it might help some others out. Now that I've tried enough cigars to start understanding my likes and dislikes, I thought this thread was interesting. I personally have found that I prefer Nicaraguan cigars thus far, but I found this thread while wondering if there are any cigars from other countries (Dominican Republic, Honduras, etc.) that can match the complexity of my favorites to date. Who knows? Maybe my favorites aren't that complex.
    Personally, after having reviewed a ton of cigars and seeing what is out there today, I think less about region unless we are talking Cuban. The Cuban tobacco is far superior in finish, but the Nicaraguan stuff coming out now is all over the board. So many of them are using Ecuadorian binder and wrapper as well, it's hard to pinpoint exact flavors. Some of the Nica stuff is still harsh and overpowering on the palate, while other blenders and factories are using tobaccos form the same region, same seed, and getting better results. Dominican's still have a specific taste to me, that is apparent even in multicountry blends, but there are stronger DR blends coming out now that could easily confuse a good palate. I think it is more important to pay attention to blender these days, and tobacco sources then country of production. One thing I will say, is the Honduran stuff has been very underwhelming as of late. I cannot remember the last time I had a Honduran cigar that impressed me.

One thing to look out for, as AJ, Rocky, DPG, and the many other small factories continue to grow, their tobacco will get better. As these guys continue to gain capital and age commodity, their blends will improve.
  • Options
    FireRob:
    rzaman:

So is there not really any actual Pre Embargo Cuban tobacco in these? If there is actually Cuban tobacco in this cigar then this is not a Honduran Puro

rzaman:

Honduras: Camacho 10th Anniversary, Camacho Liberty 2006 and 2007
    I have also read a few times that some (maybe all?) of the Liberty series were supposed to contain some of the PE tobacco. Any truth to this and are these listed above by rzaman one of those?
  • Options
    FireRob:
    FireRob:
    rzaman:

rzaman:

Honduras: Camacho 10th Anniversary, Camacho Liberty 2006 and 2007
    I have also read a few times that some (maybe all?) of the Liberty series were supposed to contain some of the PE tobacco. Any truth to this and are these listed above by rzaman one of those?
    The PE has some Pre Embargo filler to my knowledge, so I think you would be correct. However, that wrapper is the BOMB!

I'v never heard of the Liberty ever having PE tobacco though.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    FireRob:
    How many 100's of thousands of cigars have they made with this limited supply of pre-embargo tobacco??? Yeah, just go and buy a real Cuban cigar if you want Cuban tobacco.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    Yeah, just go and buy a real Cuban cigar if you want Cuban tobacco.
    That is not where my interest lie, I am just interested in a good cigar, and I am a Camacho “fan/experimenter”

I like to try all cigars, Cubans included. Camacho was who I jumped in head first with on my recent revival of cigars after a 10 year break from cigars. Back then I just smoked what was offered to me or I bought at a B&M on the very cheap bargain shelf. With so many brands and labels out there, no way can I become well versed in all things cigars (even though I try), so Camacho is where my current main focus is geared toward. Lots of Tat, Cuban, and MOW whores on here. Put me in the room with the Camacho **** :-)

Being fairly new to trying to educate myself in the cigar world of things, just trying to figure out how much Camacho is lying to me and separate others thoughts from my own.
  • Options
    FireRob:
    SleevePlz:
    That is not where my interest lie, I am just interested in a good cigar, and I am a Camacho “fan/experimenter”

I like to try all cigars, Cubans included. Camacho was who I jumped in head first with on my recent revival of cigars after a 10 year break from cigars. Back then I just smoked what was offered to me or I bought at a B&M on the very cheap bargain shelf. With so many brands and labels out there, no way can I become well versed in all things cigars (even though I try), so Camacho is where my current main focus is geared toward. Lots of Tat, Cuban, and MOW whores on here. Put me in the room with the Camacho **** :-)

Being fairly new to trying to educate myself in the cigar world of things, just trying to figure out how much Camacho is lying to me and separate others thoughts from my own.
    The PE is the best Camacho I have experienced. The wrapper is unreal...
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    I look forward to trying it. Got a couple in the humi just waiting for me
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    FireRob:
    SleevePlz:

I second this, the PE is by far my favorite Camacho. I don't care if it has Cuban tobacco in it or not, I just care that it smokes excellent.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Agree Camacho PE is the best release from Camacho. There is no Cuban tobacco in it. It is a marketing hype. However, it has the first crop of Cuban seed well aged Corojo 98 tobacco. These seeds came from Rodriguez farm who invented these seeds in Cuba. The seeds were smuggled and came to Eiora family's hand.