Home General Discussion

Lighter and Cutter

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
Soft flame or torch? Vcut, punch or guillotine? What do you use? I'm heading to a new B&M today to pick up a lighter and cutter, so I was wondering what everyone uses and what they think of it.

Comments

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually Xikar xi2 guillotine and matches for me at home. I also have a torch w/ built in punch that's very handy for on-the-go.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    My lighter is both soft flame and torch.... a nice feature. (cant remember the name) I tried cutters and settled on the Xikar Xi2. My backup lighter is a Ronson Jetflame from Walmart.... cost $3.47 and works great. Hard to find but frankly my most reliable lighter. If it breaks or I lose it no big loss.
  • TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    I love my xikar ex2 soft flame lighter, and I also use the xikar XI cutter. Cant go wrong.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly it all depends on the stick. For me mostly a guillotine cut and a single flame torch but it varies. I have all cutters and 1,2amd 3 flame torches plus my old reliable bics. I use them all
    Money can't buy taste
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Xikar x8 and Xikar tech lighter
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a xi cutter and the crossover torch lighter and am pleased with both. Can't go wrong with the xi guillotine cutters! I have wanted to try a scissor though
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Waiting on a new dual xikar to come in, my single died. I like guillotine cutters personally and use a Cuban crafters.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    I use a Xikar Trezo triple (its windy here) and a Xi cutter.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to grab one of the lighter/punch combos for sure. Never punched a cigar (sounds wrong), so I'd like to try it.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    I keep one, it comes in handy when you forget your cutter and are in a pinch
    My vector has a dual torch and a single blade cutter built in...it's awesom in a pinch!!
    Money can't buy taste
    It's beat up a bit since it goes everywhere with me Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Money can't buy taste
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Cutter: Either Xikar Xi3 or Xikar V

Lighters: Torches, too many to mention. Usually grab whatever is convenient.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I use a carbon fiber xikar tear drop for most cigars love it. I also have the xikar multi tool which I use when traveling and have been using a lot on lanceros and coronas. If your only goona have one the multi tool is great. I have a colibri hybrid that is both a torch and soft flame which is nice but hard to light on windy days. I have a triple torch that I got at cigar fest that I use on windy days that has a punch attachment. I also have a xikar punch that I rarely use but is top quality. As far as v cutters go the xikar is the best I've used a buddy of mine has one and it is far better than the cheap plastic one I have. Sad thing I have been using a cheap Ed hardy electronic lighter I picked up at the dollar store for my trip. It's one of the only refillable plastic lighter for a buck I can find. It's great for trips when you can't bring fuel along because it lasts forever and you can refill with quality butane so you don't get the funky taste. If you can find these Ed hardy lighters they r great for a buck. My colobri is good for two to three cigars but this cheap lighter is good for at least 15 cigars on a tank. Great spare lighter.
  • nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    Double guillotine and a single torch xikar.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I like to use either for lighting...sometimes I will use a cedar spill...just depends on my mood.,,, and use double G...less chance for a stick to tar up.

"Long ashes my friends."

• NectarCigarNectarCigar Posts: 171
    Usually use a cheapo torch I found for lighting and a cuban crafters double guillotine cutter. Sometimes a punch depending on the rg of the cigar. I've actually been on the lookout for a good deal on a palio cutter and a nice torch lighter myself.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    I'd like to grab one of the lighter/punch combos for sure. Never punched a cigar (sounds wrong), so I'd like to try it.
    This is the one I have: CLICK . Got it on the sprint sale for just under $20. It's good and works pretty well in the wind too.
    My only complaint is that you have to keep the flame set pretty high, because if you turn it down below about 1/2 way, it doesn't spark and just spits out butane.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *