Home General Discussion
Options

Cuban cigar price hikes

rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
I just received a call from a friend who lives in Cuba. Within few weeks, possibly 2-3 weeks the Cuban cigar prices will increase by 25-30%. I would say- very immature decision when the global economy is suffering without any sign of recovery.

Comments

• Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    That sucks. I have little to no cc experience, and if they get more expensive, I will not get any experience what so ever.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    marineatbn03:
    That sucks. I have little to no cc experience, and if they get more expensive, I will not get any experience what so ever.
    Lmao yup they already are pretty high in price!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm.... I might have to get a few boxes lol
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Holy crap. A 25 to 30% price hike during a worldwide recession? I guess I'll be waiting for the price to go down then. Price hike like that might make a negative impact on sales, so not sure what they're thinking.
  • Options
    Agree with you but the news came from a very legitimate source. I ordered couple boxes already. I cannot live without Cuban cigar.
    wwhwang:
    Holy crap. A 25 to 30% price hike during a worldwide recession? I guess I'll be waiting for the price to go down then. Price hike like that might make a negative impact on sales, so not sure what they're thinking.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Getting orders for a year now so I was told about the September annual price adjustment for CCs, and I'm seeing it already in small increases at my vendors. However a price hike of the magnitude you are saying will def make me order more from NC vendors. Its nice to enjoy different flavors even if they dont impress me that much thus far, but a hike like that will definitely drive me away from the small island smokes. They are alreadypushing a fine line based on the cuban superiority myth, this is possibly a huge mistake on their part. More great NC blends will be hitting my ashtray in the future I sense, and Ill enjoy them just as much.
  • Options
    pnaylonpnaylon Posts: 214
    Man, Ive just never been as impressed with a Cuban than by a good ol embargo-free padron 1926 or a camacho liberty, etc. Guess I gotta make a trip to Cuba to see whats going on!
  • Options
    asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    I've enjoyed the h.upmann and romeo y juliet cubans that I have gotten before. I haven't had anything else from across the water. Sorry to hear that the prices will jump up. It will make it even harder for me to try and get some of those cohiba and johnny o's that a lot of people rave about.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would happen as soon as I start considering my first purchase, lol! The problem with an announced or leaked price increase is that the prices will start to slide up immediately. Sellers say "why wait when the market's going there anyway?" The reasoning behind the price hike is an inelastic demand; those who buy Cubans (wish I was one) will still buy, no matter what. Some will be priced out, but more $$ is made overall.

that's a pretty damn huge price jump. A $10 cigar turns into a $13 cigar.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    25% - 30% is quite a hike. i have a feeling they will re-adjust after a while. thats quite a shock to the market. people expect little increases of a few bucks from time to time but 25% is huge.
  • Options
    Guess I'd better get to it and have a few boxes sent my way. If anyone has any good legitimate site, I'd really appreciate a pm. I found one that seems good, but don't have a way to check.
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    blurr:
    Getting orders for a year now so I was told about the September annual price adjustment for CCs, and I'm seeing it already in small increases at my vendors. However a price hike of the magnitude you are saying will def make me order more from NC vendors. Its nice to enjoy different flavors even if they dont impress me that much thus far, but a hike like that will definitely drive me away from the small island smokes. They are alreadypushing a fine line based on the cuban superiority myth, this is possibly a huge mistake on their part. More great NC blends will be hitting my ashtray in the future I sense, and Ill enjoy them just as much.
    +1...good thing there are tons of great smokes on this side of the water!
  • Options
    When I saw the thread title, I thought you were referring to hikes in the past. I'm surprised they're being hiked this much again, as they've gone up way in price over the last few years.

'Someone I know' bought a box of PSD4 for $150 in late 2009. Last year 'that person' checked to see how much another box would cost, because the exchange rates were swinging a lot so foreign items should have been cheaper - but instead, they were $175. Sure, the exchange rate fluctuated, but the price (in euros) went up more than enough to offset it. Today, it's about $200 for the same box. So even though the exchange rate is much more favorable, it's still 1/3 more expensive than 2009.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Habanos released they had an 8% rise in sales, so I doubt the companies are hurting at all when it comes to people buying em. The cuban cigar industry is not hurting at all. http://www.plenglish.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=545768&Itemid=1
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Unthought_Known:
    When I saw the thread title, I thought you were referring to hikes in the past. I'm surprised they're being hiked this much again, as they've gone up way in price over the last few years.

'Someone I know' bought a box of PSD4 for $150 in late 2009. Last year 'that person' checked to see how much another box would cost, because the exchange rates were swinging a lot so foreign items should have been cheaper - but instead, they were $175. Sure, the exchange rate fluctuated, but the price (in euros) went up more than enough to offset it. Today, it's about $200 for the same box. So even though the exchange rate is much more favorable, it's still 1/3 more expensive than 2009.
    Not to change the topic of cigars but things in general have gone up. I bought a pair of Bilstein PSS9 C/Os for my car a few years ago for ~$1800. When I looked this year they are ~$3200. Same product same design. Also, I bought Miltek downpipes for $1500. Last I looked they are $3500! Again same product same design.
  • Options
    Agree but 25-30% increase will be way too much. But again I can be wrong. We have to wait and see how the market reacts.
    scarlin:
    Habanos released they had an 8% rise in sales, so I doubt the companies are hurting at all when it comes to people buying em. The cuban cigar industry is not hurting at all. http://www.plenglish.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=545768&Itemid=1
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    damn and here I was waiting to order some behikes after I move. doh!
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    There are not hikes of 25 to 30% coming for cubans, that is ludicrous!
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Diamondog:
    I think you're right. I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    Diamondog:
    I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised the way things are. Though it might make a good case for a raise, yes sir, yes, I need a 30 percent raise so I can continue to get cigars.
  • Options
    We will wait and see. Ofcouse all of us do not want this increase. However, do you know that no matter what is the profession or position the set salary in Cuba is $20/month for every individual?The difference is some State officials are more privileged than others.
    phobicsquirrel:
    JDH:
    Diamondog:
    I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised the way things are. Though it might make a good case for a raise, yes sir, yes, I need a 30 percent raise so I can continue to get cigars.