Home Cigar 101
Options

Cat Litter for Humidification

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
I know this looks ridiculous BUT I've read quite a bit about people using these for humidification. Supposedly they are the exact same thing as the Heartfelt beads and are a fraction of the cost. Anyone else seen these? Anyone using them? I'm really thinking about giving it a shot in my new wine fridges.

Comments

• Options
    If anyone is interested in trying these with me the 4lb box is going to run me about $20 shipped I want to keep 2lbs but would be willing to split up the other 2lbs however is wanted if anyone else is interested.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    you can use those, but you have to do somthing to get them "trained" to the right humidity. they might hold the right humidity out of the bag, but im not sure.
  • Options
    How would you "train" them?

Everything I've read says they hold 65 - 70% right out of the bag. But the only way to trully find out I guess is to try them.
  • Options
    adamkhaliladamkhalil Posts: 80
    If you have a cat you better keep your humidor tightly closed as well!
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    By train, I guess he means you'll need to find the right amount to keep the humidity where you want it.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    they are right that you do have to train the cat litter. the best way to do this is to buy several bovida packs that are at the RH that you want. just place the boveda packs in with the litter and let them sit for a week or so. from there on, if you want to train more just add it to the humidor and the humidor will train the litter as its being used.

Exquisicat Pearl (the all white stuff, not the ones with blue) will work too.

i still like heartfelt beads. they take the human error aspect out of it.

...given half a chance i would *** up twice...
  • Options
    I was hopin to get your take on this kuzi. I've been searching every where to find anything about "training" the kitty litter. No one that has actually used them has said they had to train them. Everyone has said they hold right at 67% right out of the box. I even talked to a guy tonight who has been using them for years and had never heard of training them.

Where did you get this trainging thing from?
  • Options
    the OLD cigar.com forum.

CLICK

• Options
    Good call thanks. But even on their only one person "trained" them, the rest said they just add water when need be. I mean $20 for 4lbs, its worth the risk IMHO.

Anyone else want in?
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I've been using them for a few months now and never went through any real training process, however, I put them into already fairly stable humidors and monitored them very closely at first to find just the right amount of beads necessary in each humi. I've had good luck so far. My only problem with them is they tend to kind of fall apart (they end up turning to sand) after a while and have to be replaced with fresh crystals.
  • Options
    Thanks Rob. I may be picking your brain for a while now that I know you use them.

Are you poring water directly on them or are you misting it with a spray bottle.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    I've been using them for a few months now and never went through any real training process, however, I put them into already fairly stable humidors and monitored them very closely at first to find just the right amount of beads necessary in each humi. I've had good luck so far. My only problem with them is they tend to kind of fall apart (they end up turning to sand) after a while and have to be replaced with fresh crystals.
    this is the other way you can "train" them. this is probably the reason why many didnt have to use the boveda packs. the humidor they were adding them to was already seasoned and stable. most new guys wont use litter right off the bat and most of the guys who switch to them already have stable humidors. they buy the litter when they are about to get a new humidor.
  • Options
    Good point kuzi. So curiousity here kuz, would you give them a try?
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    There is an experiment going on elsewhere and only one of the people had to train the beads. It makes sense on the whole already perfect humidors.

I would give them a shot based on how many people have had sucess.
  • Options
    Cool thanks Van.

They are on their way, I'll let you guys know how they work in the new vinotemps that are also on their way.
  • Options
    Maddy, I pour water directly onto them. I have them in little shallow plastic dishes (petri dishes - I work in a lab) and I just soak the beads and pour off any excess water. I'll send you some plates with the sticks I keep meaning to send you.
  • Options
    Rob. That may be the reason they are falling apart. I know even the Heartfelt ones tend to split and crack all up when you pour the water right on them.

Hmm I won't turn the petri dishes but you know I'm going to hit you back if you bomb me :) even if it is with laboratory equipment. These petri dishes weren't previously used to grow anything horrendous like bird flu were they?

I'm still working out how my beads will be stored. I'm going to be custom building shelvign for the vinotemps so I may custom build a tray or sink the petri dishes into each drawer. This is yet to be determined.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    in theory i would bu i have no reason to.

....plus i feel strange about humidifying my cigars with something designed for a cat to *** on
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    plus i feel strange about humidifying my cigars with something designed for a cat to *** on
    Yea thats what I had to get past ...
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311

madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    plus i feel strange about humidifying my cigars with something designed for a cat to *** on
    Yea thats what I had to get past ...

I think with the price point difference I could get over that fact pretty damn quick. Keep us posted on how it works. I'm still set on beads and everything else, but if it is a good acceptable subsitute its nice to know.

• Options
    madurofan:
    I know this looks ridiculous BUT I've read quite a bit about people using these for humidification. Supposedly they are the exact same thing as the Heartfelt beads and are a fraction of the cost. Anyone else seen these? Anyone using them? I'm really thinking about giving it a shot in my new wine fridges.
    The description on the web site made me laugh. "Completely safe for all pets and people even if consumed" Is that before or after they've been... well, "used"?
  • Options
    will do dep. How you been buddy? Haven't seen you much.
  • Options
    punkrawk_99:
    madurofan:
    The description on the web site made me laugh. "Completely safe for all pets and people even if consumed" Is that before or after they've been... well, "used"?
    LMAO, I thought the same thing ...
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311

madurofan:

Been busy picking up extra jobs, wife's job has hit the great economic down turn. She is stll working but sales are kinda slow right now. We are trying to keep all of the kids activities going, camps and such. My enjoyment is watching the kids playing softball, baseball, football, etc. that trumps my hobby, if you know what I mean.

• Options
    dep691:

madurofan:

Been busy picking up extra jobs, wife's job has hit the great economic down turn. She is stll working but sales are kinda slow right now. We are trying to keep all of the kids activities going, camps and such. My enjoyment is watching the kids playing softball, baseball, football, etc. that trumps my hobby, if you know what I mean.

My wife is on her third job in 6 months man, I understand how that goes. We've been lucky that she's been able to quickly find other jobs but still. I'm sorry to hear that though brother. I hope you at least get to enjoy a stogie while watching them play.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Hmm I won't turn the petri dishes but you know I'm going to hit you back if you bomb me :) even if it is with laboratory equipment. These petri dishes weren't previously used to grow anything horrendous like bird flu were they?

no worries. They're unused, sterile, brand new cell culture dishes. I'll send a few your way.
  • Options
    I just wanted to update everyone on this. I've been using the Kitty Litter in both my wine fridges since June. Now one wine fridge has a pound of beads AND a Cigar Oasis and the other has a Pound of beads and two 4 oz tubes of heartfelt beads(Overkill I know). Each fridge is holding roughly 150 cigars. They have maintained very well and I am quite pleased.

I ended up using a pair of ladies nylons and cut them to the length I needed, dumped the beads in and tied off both ends ... works beautifully.
  • Options
    glad they're holding up for you maddy. I've still got mine going and my humis are all holding humidity perfectly. Had I known you were seasoning such a large humi, I wouldn't have sent you those crappy little dishes. I'm using those for much smaller humis and a few in each humi does the trick.
  • Options
    GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    madurofan:
    I just wanted to update everyone on this. I've been using the Kitty Litter in both my wine fridges since June. Now one wine fridge has a pound of beads AND a Cigar Oasis and the other has a Pound of beads and two 4 oz tubes of heartfelt beads(Overkill I know). Each fridge is holding roughly 150 cigars. They have maintained very well and I am quite pleased.

I ended up using a pair of ladies nylons and cut them to the length I needed, dumped the beads in and tied off both ends ... works beautifully.
    I hate trying to revive dead forums but I'm a novice humi user and am looking to try out this kitty litter idea. Maddy, when you started using the litter did you toss it in an already seasoned humi, or did you season it with the litter? Also, to get the litter started did you pour directly on the beads or did you put them in the nylons and then spray? Thank you for doing this experiment for all of our benefit :P
  • Options
    MrMokeMrMoke Posts: 321 ✭✭
    adamkhalil:
    If you have a cat you better keep your humidor tightly closed as well!
    Yes, keep the cat out lest you find an extra 'perfecto' in your humidor, "hmmm when did I buy that and where's the band gone"!!! ;)