Home Cigar 101
Options

Xikar Hygrometer question

EFLAGGSEFLAGGS Posts: 19
So I bought a digital xikar hygrometer, and put it in a boveda calibration bag. Does'nt say how long I should leave it in there though, does anyone know? I also bought the xikar humidifier with the beads and I filled it will solution and I think now its ready to put in my humi...am I on the right track??

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Wait . . . I dunno about xikar beads, but the Heartfelt beads are only supposed to be used with distilled water - solution can ruin them if done enough times.

As for how long to keep the hygrometer in there - the salt test takes about 8 hrs minimum, and should be left alone for 16 hrs or so, but I really dunno about the boveda calibration kit since I never used them, maybe someone else can help you with that.

Once the proper time has passed, adjust the hygrometer and then put it back in the bag - after calibration, you wanna make sure that it's right, so don't throw out that bag!!
  • Options
    EFLAGGSEFLAGGS Posts: 19
    The xitar humidifier came with a bottle of solution and said to fill the puck to the line and the crystals expand and your good 2 go. Ok yea, I'll just leave the hygro alone for a while and check it tomorrow I think I just push a button to calibrate it (way nicer than analog!)

I just heard if you use a boveda you dont need either the humidifier or the hygro, is that true??
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Oh . . . you use crystals; those are different from the beads, and I really have no experience about the crystals/gel

I don't know about not needing the humdifier since I don't know anything about the boveda packs, but you'll definitely want to keep the hygrometer in there and keep it calibrated - you'll want to know if anything goes wrong, and the hygrometer is your first indication something may have gone wrong. (digitals should be checked about every 6mo - just use salt test to re-check)