Home Cigar 101

Le Case

I bought a LE TUBE 3 FINGER CRUSHPROOF AIRTIGHT CIGAR CASE TRAVEL HUMIDOR to store my cigar in. I don't plan on smoking more than 3 a month, so I was wondering if I could get away with just using that. I don't plan on storing them for longer than a week or two at most because I'll be buying cigars on a case by case basis.

I know the general advise is to pick a large humidor and buy the next largest one, but my spouse doesn't want me to get cancer or worse, give the kids cancer so cigar smoking will be an infrequent thing for me.

In conclusion, will the Le Case keep my cigars at the right humidity?

Comments

• Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I don't know much about them. I've been keeping mine in a ziploc bag with water pillows. It's worked pretty well, since I only keep a few on hand at a time. If you're only keeping a couple in there for a week or so, you should be fine. Some of the more knowledgeable folks here could probably help you more on this though.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    SweetnLow:
    I bought a LE TUBE 3 FINGER CRUSHPROOF AIRTIGHT CIGAR CASE TRAVEL HUMIDOR to store my cigar in. I don't plan on smoking more than 3 a month, so I was wondering if I could get away with just using that. I don't plan on storing them for longer than a week or two at most because I'll be buying cigars on a case by case basis.
    as long as it is air tight you shouldnt have a problem with them.
    SweetnLow:
    I know the general advise is to pick a large humidor and buy the next largest one, but my spouse doesn't want me to get cancer or worse, give the kids cancer so cigar smoking will be an infrequent thing for me. In conclusion, will the Le Case keep my cigars at the right humidity?
    there is no conclusive evidence that cigars significantly increase your chances of cancer if you smoke less than 2 churchill size cigars a day. (2% increase) there is also no proof that second hand smoke causes cancer either.

http://www.davehitt.com/facts/epa.html

and

http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/webapp/images/stories/cigarprimer/primer2health 90207.pdf
  • SweetnLowSweetnLow Posts: 28
    It's what I keep telling her, but she'll have none of it. My thanks for the links though, they might help my case ever so little. The Le Case expels air when I push it together, so I'm guessing it's airtight. It also has a square mesh of plastic up on top that seems to be holding something. I'm hoping that it functions like a humipak.

Thanks again for the prompt responses.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    That square mesh has a surgical sponge underneath of it. You can squirt a few drops of the 50/50 solution on it to keep the humidity up a little.
  • kent1146kent1146 Posts: 86
    SweetnLow:
    It's what I keep telling her, but she'll have none of it. My thanks for the links though, they might help my case ever so little. The Le Case expels air when I push it together, so I'm guessing it's airtight. It also has a square mesh of plastic up on top that seems to be holding something. I'm hoping that it functions like a humipak. Thanks again for the prompt responses.

There is no statistically significant increase in mortality rates for individuals who smoke 1-2 cigars per day, and do not inhale:
    http://cancercontrol.cancer.gov/tcrb/monographs/9/m9_4.PDF

There's also a statistic floating around out there that cigar smokers live an average of 3 years longer than non-smokers.  Now, that's a correlation, and not a causation.  It is unfair to say that cigar smoking CAUSES you to live longer... rather, it is more likely that cigar smokers either learn to relax more than non-smokers, or cigar smokers come from a more affluent portion of the population, and can afford better health care and eat healthier foods.

In regards to your storage question... give your Le Case a try.  Put some 50/50 solution in the foam within that square mesh (50/50 = 50% Propylene Glycol, 50% distilled water.  You can buy both at a drug store for a few bucks.  Do NOT use tap water or filtered water... that stuff will screw up your cigars and/or cigar humidification gear). 

If your cigars seem dry, then you have an air leak in the case.  Store your cigars in an airtight tupperware container with a Boveda humidifcation pack (a few dollars from your local B&M shop), and put the tupperware container in a dark place like a drawer.  That should do the trick for cigars that you rotate in and out every week or two.
  • I was enjoying a cigar a few weeks ago at my niece's baptism when a little girl of about 7 or 8 years came up to me and told me I was doing drugs. I laughed and told her that I was not doing drugs, but enjoying a cigar to celebrate the baptism. She retorted with "My teacher says that cigarettes, cigars and beer are drugs and anyone who uses them is an addict"..... I fear for the future of this society.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    lol, my whole family got called in to my sister's guidance counselor's office when she was in 1st grade cause she told her class/teacher that my dad did drugs...she was talking about dipping...
  • rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    Smoky the Bear:
    I was enjoying a cigar a few weeks ago at my niece's baptism when a little girl of about 7 or 8 years came up to me and told me I was doing drugs. I laughed and told her that I was not doing drugs, but enjoying a cigar to celebrate the baptism. She retorted with "My teacher says that cigarettes, cigars and beer are drugs and anyone who uses them is an addict"..... I fear for the future of this society.

The way America teaches the youth. Something is extremely bad for you until you reach a certain age and then it is completely acceptable. Damn that is just a backwards way of thinking.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    nsezell:
    lol, my whole family got called in to my sister's guidance counselor's office when she was in 1st grade cause she told her class/teacher that my dad did drugs...she was talking about dipping...

Thats funny !!!
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Smoky the Bear:
    I was enjoying a cigar a few weeks ago at my niece's baptism when a little girl of about 7 or 8 years came up to me and told me I was doing drugs. I laughed and told her that I was not doing drugs, but enjoying a cigar to celebrate the baptism. She retorted with "My teacher says that cigarettes, cigars and beer are drugs and anyone who uses them is an addict"..... I fear for the future of this society.
    That same teacher probably drinks a lot of coffee and soda, eats chocolate, and has probably taken an aspirin before. You can just as easily become addicted to those things, if not easier. And they're all defined as drugs. That's what bugs me about any kind of anti-drug campaign. Or anti-tobacco or anti-alcohol.
  • adamkhaliladamkhalil Posts: 80
    Matt Marvel:
    That same teacher probably drinks a lot of coffee and soda, eats chocolate, and has probably taken an aspirin before. You can just as easily become addicted to those things, if not easier. And they're all defined as drugs. That's what bugs me about any kind of anti-drug campaign. Or anti-tobacco or anti-alcohol.
    Agreed. If you listen to all the various groups i shouldn't be drinking my coffee when i wake up, eating my cold-cut sandwhich for lunch, smoking my cigars, drinking my beers, eating anything fried for dinner...the list is endless.

I'm surprised i don't fall down dead when i go fishing, with a beer and cigar, then come home for pizza and wings based on today's views.