Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Cigar.com sampler (Rating all 7)

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
I was fortunate enough to try the cigar.com variety pack sampler recently and after working my way through it now over the past few weeks I am ready to post my thoughts.

This is my first review so I am not sure of the protocol.  I am using a 1-to-100 score but it is not similar to the ratings by CA and the such.  For my reviews here is the key.  I am rating them according to my personal tastes but also for construction and burn.

90+=Classic.  In theory only the true masterpieces will fall in here.
80-89=Good (low 80's) to Excellent(High 80's) cigars. 
75-79=Solid cigar I would enjoy smoking again.
70-74=Borderline acceptable for my tastes.  Probably not one I will revisit but not horrible
60-69=Not enjoyable to me flavorwise.  May not fit my taste profile and others may enjoy.
59 and below=Bad cigars I would not recommend to anyone.

Here is how I rated the various offerings from the sampler. (score in parenthesis).  The Cuban came as a Churchill, the rest were Robusto's.

1.Cuban Label (88)-Started slow but the flavors continued to build and build as I smoked it.  Sweet flavors mingled with woody, nutty, and spicy notes at different times.  A real enjoyable underlying sweetness.  Perfect burn.  Construction was OK.  It appears ready to unravel a little on the outside layer but never did and never was a problem.  I really liked this one and will be buying more.  Enjoyed alongside a New Glarus Iced Barley Wine and it was a match for the ages..

2.Brazillian Label (85)-Rich, full, creamy...nuts and earthy...stronger cigar...very enjoyable...will be getting more of this one too...great burn

3.Corojo Label (82)-Spicy rich smoke...pretty strong...poor construction as it came apart at the top....great burn...

4.Red Label (80)-Nice maduro...good but not great flavors (leather)...a little tight on the draw...solid construction and a nice even burn...

5.Purple Label (75)-Mild to medium bodied...solid...not harsh at all untill very end...good flavors but not great..

6.Blue Label (70)-Medium to full bodied...good even burn..good cigar but not my favorite flavors...peppery...

7.Cameroon Label(60)-Good burn and construction...medium to light body....I was surprised at how much I didn't like this one as I thought it would rate near the top....hard to describe the taste but it was harsh tasting...burnt ashes...not enjoyable at all...I told my wife after I smoked this one that if all cigars tasted like this I would stop smoking them.

FINAL OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:

I came away very impressed with the sampler.  The Cuban and Brazillian labels are flat out winners in my book.  I also would revisit the Corojo, Red and Purple labels in the future.  The two I will not buy again are the Blue and Cameroon labels.

One thing I was very impressed with was the draw and burn on ALL the cigars....perfect...I know these are mixed fillers but they burned like long fillers...some of the cigars carried an ash for almost half the robusto before it gave way..

Overall these are great value and quality cigars in my opinion.  I am glad I gave them a try.   Individual tastes will of course vary but the burn, construction and tobacco seems top notch to me.

*Next up will be my reviews of the Cusano Celebrity series.

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Nice reviews. I agree with most of your opinions here. I too didn't care for the cameroon at all and I'm a big cameroon fan in general.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Nice reviews, I also agree with your blue label review. I didn't particulary like this smoke either. Just a bad taste all around. I have read good things about the cuban label, I can't wait to try it. I might smoke it this weekend.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    kent1146kent1146 Posts: 86
    I agree with Madurofan.  Definitely hit it right on the mark with those reviews and ratings.  I also liked the Cuban, Brazilian, and Corojo labels the most (though in a slightly different order than you, just out of personal preference).

In any case, the Ccom sampler is definitely a great way for a newbie to try different cigar profiles, to find the right one that they prefer.
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311

madurofan:
    Nice reviews. I agree with most of your opinions here. I too didn't care for the cameroon at all and I'm a big cameroon fan in general.

The nub cameroon that you sent me has become one of my favorites.

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    dep691:

madurofan:

The nub cameroon that you sent me has become one of my favorites.

Glad to hear it man. I love turning a BOTL onto a new stick, that he likes.
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    I've gotta say I just smoked a ccom cameroon label and I really enjoyed it. It was medium bodied with a great draw and burn. The sweetness of the cameroon wrapper was a nice pairing with the hints of butter, almond, and slight pepper flavors. Of course every cigar is subject to it's smoker, but I really enjoyed this one and I am looking forward to trying out the rest of the ccom labels
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    It's funny. I've been a ccom customer for several years and I've yet to try any of the house blends. I have two brazillian labels resting now, but I've never ordered a whole sampler. I'll definitely have to try out the cuban label after the recommendations I've read here.
  • Options
    I had a similar experience with the house labels. My favorite was the cuban label. However, I really enjoyed the cameroon label as it came in second for me. Third would be the red label. I didn't enjoy the flavor of the Brazillian label nor the corojo label. I have since ordered a few more of the Cuban Label and the Cameroon label... I plan on enjoying the cameroon later this evening...
  • Options
    Does the Purple Label stack up with other good CT wrappers (Oliva, Nub, Rocky Patel)? Or is it a definite step below?
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Unthought_Known:
    Does the Purple Label stack up with other good CT wrappers (Oliva, Nub, Rocky Patel)? Or is it a definite step below?
    IMHO, the Purple label is a great connecticut cigar. It's one of the only mild cigars that I'll smoke.

I mostly agree with the reviews above, but with a couple modifications for my taste. The cameroon was the only one that I hated! My favorites were in this order: Cuban, Corojo, Purple, Brazilian. I wasn't impressed with, but did not hate the Red and Blue.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    Unthought_Known:
    IMHO, the Purple label is a great connecticut cigar. It's one of the only mild cigars that I'll smoke.

I mostly agree with the reviews above, but with a couple modifications for my taste. The cameroon was the only one that I hated! My favorites were in this order: Cuban, Corojo, Purple, Brazilian. I wasn't impressed with, but did not hate the Red and Blue.

About the only connecticuts I smoke anymore are RP Conn, Verdadero Organic and Purple Label (although I've never had a Nub and will try one soon). I really liked the flavors on the Purple Label. Even had some non-BOTLS/SOTLS around me comment on how good it smelled while I was smoking one, not that that's worth too much, but anyway!
  • Options
    Unthought_Known:
    In my opinion, no. I like the RP and Oliva much better than the Purple Label. That was the biggest disappointment to me. I really thought I'd like the Purple label. I tried more than one before making up my mind too...
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    whoflungdo:
    Unthought_Known:
    In my opinion, no. I like the RP and Oliva much better than the Purple Label. That was the biggest disappointment to me. I really thought I'd like the Purple label. I tried more than one before making up my mind too...
    The last Purple Label I had (the one I got the favorable comments about the aroma) had about 8-10 months on it and actually showed a slight bit of plume believe it or not. Might have made a bit of a difference, or just diff strokes for diff folks? I don't think it gets lots of rave reviews, but most milds usually don't. Either way, it never hurts to try one. That's what i love about this hobby. If I try something new and didn't like it, what's the loss, right? Well, other than a few buck$ and a little bit of my time!
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yes. The NUB is the other connecticut I really enjoy.
  • Options
    clearlysuspect:
    Oh yes. The NUB is the other connecticut I really enjoy.
    Yum! NUB conny. My favorite connecticut for sure.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Something I noticed on the Red. I just finished my last few a couple of weeks ago. I've had them for almost a year, maybe a bit less. I just got two boxes of them and lit a couple up over the last few days. I can tell you that these guys do get much, much better with some down time. With the two sticks I have had from the new box, I don't pick up much of the creamy sweetness I did with rested sticks. It is almost like a different cigar.
  • Options
    I smoked a brazillian label this week. Really liked the flavor for the first half, and the burn was razor sharp. It got a little bitter after that and I had to set her down due to time constraints. Crazy - the robusto took me over an hour to get through half the cigar. I couldn't believe it. I do tend to smoke slowly, but man this was ridiculous.