Home General Discussion
Options

My First B&M Experiance

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
So, I went to my first B&M today. Took the wife with me, claimed it was to spend time with her..two birds with one stone, am I right fellas? Hate to say it..my noobness showed through. I'd planned on buying a lighter, cutter and some beads. So we go in and take a look around. I notice they have a 5 Cigar Sampler for 100 bucks...and the first cigar I spot in it is an Opus. So now I'm confused, because I thought the Opus alone was more then 100. So, I keep going and settle on a Xikar Executive lighter, sold on the side ignition switch. I also bout a Xikar Humidity Gel thing, which I thought were beads! So, yeah, a little mistake on my part, but oh well. As I'm paying, the owner takes me back to the "Members Only" lounge. In a word..awesome. Pool table, bar, NFL Sunday Ticket. It's 600 bucks for a year membership, and you get your own storage humi. If it was a little closer to the house, I might consider it. So, that was my first B&M experiance.

Comments

• Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool!
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Sounds a lot like my first visit. There was no pool table though and humidor storage was extra. I think the annual fee was like 500 and they do have live music once a month or so.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Slow down brother. It takes time to figure out the whole value/quality issue with this hobby. Easy to be taken. Do your research. Check out Ccom prices before going to a B&M. B&Ms are always a bit pricier, but you are paying for the personal experience. Buying 5 pack samplers is always a good way to establish a presence in these shops. And it will lead you to a more personal reception in the future. But, know that you are paying a premium. BTW, Ccom's most expensive Opus X is about $36. But a call to a rep can get you one for quite a bit less. I'm just sayin. Psssstt. Call Andrew!
  • Options
    beatnic:
    Slow down brother. It takes time to figure out the whole value/quality issue with this hobby. Easy to be taken. Do your research. Check out Ccom prices before going to a B&M. B&Ms are always a bit pricier, but you are paying for the personal experience. Buying 5 pack samplers is always a good way to establish a presence in these shops. And it will lead you to a more personal reception in the future. But, know that you are paying a premium. BTW, Ccom's most expensive Opus X is about $36. But a call to a rep can get you one for quite a bit less. I'm just sayin. Psssstt. Call Andrew!
    Good thing I got time! Even better that I did not buy haha. Maybe when I am better armed with knowledge.
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    beatnic:
    Good thing I got time! Even better that I did not buy haha. Maybe when I am better armed with knowledge.
    Knowledge is power, oh yes:-) :-) :-)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    sounds like a great place to go. youll get over the newness of it all.
  • Options
    WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    Sounds better then mine. Mine I walked in to, they had a humidor the size of a small walk in closet, with limited cigars that were dry as hell. No pool tables, TV's, just 2 chairs, a humidor and a counter to pay...also lottery tickets and Keno...Luckily we got a new one down the road I don't mind driving to every once in awhile.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    I wish my B&M had a members room like that. Would love to be able to watch a game and have a smoke with friends. Sounds like a great little shop you have found.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    I wish my B&M had a members room like that. Would love to be able to watch a game and have a smoke with friends. Sounds like a great little shop you have found.
    If it was right around the corner, I would really think about it. The shop is about 30 minutes away...not too bad, but for 600 a year, I'd like it right around the corner.
  • Options
    Rain:
    jthanatos:
    If it was right around the corner, I would really think about it. The shop is about 30 minutes away...not too bad, but for 600 a year, I'd like it right around the corner.
    Does it have a guest policy? I know some allow you a guest or two on visits. 3 way split with some friends might make it a bit more palatable.

30 mins away also makes you harder to retrieve if a "honey do" list item comes up :P
  • Options
    Not sure about the guest policy, it says you can bring your spouse though! You get a 10% discount on smokes for being a member, though, and I get an additional 10% of for being active duty. Can I just direct deposit my check there?!
  • Options
    Rain:
    Not sure about the guest policy, it says you can bring your spouse though! You get a 10% discount on smokes for being a member, though, and I get an additional 10% of for being active duty. Can I just direct deposit my check there?!
    Maybe get another 10% off for that... ;)
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a member of a lounge although I don't pay for it... I just buy and give out so many sticks to the guys that work there that they just let me do what I want, But it is pretty nice!! If I had to pay I don't think I'd go lol since if I really wanted to play pool and watch tv well ill just head to my buddies house. But watch out for prices!! The b&M I got to usually is very fair on prices but if you don't know any better somehow you will still get taken.
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    Rain:
    So, I went to my first B&M today. Took the wife with me, claimed it was to spend time with her..two birds with one stone, am I right fellas? Hate to say it..my noobness showed through. I'd planned on buying a lighter, cutter and some beads. So we go in and take a look around. I notice they have a 5 Cigar Sampler for 100 bucks...and the first cigar I spot in it is an Opus. So now I'm confused, because I thought the Opus alone was more then 100. So, I keep going and settle on a Xikar Executive lighter, sold on the side ignition switch. I also bout a Xikar Humidity Gel thing, which I thought were beads! So, yeah, a little mistake on my part, but oh well. As I'm paying, the owner takes me back to the "Members Only" lounge. In a word..awesome. Pool table, bar, NFL Sunday Ticket. It's 600 bucks for a year membership, and you get your own storage humi. If it was a little closer to the house, I might consider it. So, that was my first B&M experpiance.
    600 bucks?!? holy jeebus! Our b&m's here in san diego don't have any pool tables, but they all have tables and chairs and tv's for sports games. They don't have memberships, just buy a smoke or two and bring more of your own if you want and sit down.