Home Cigar 101
Options

To age or not to age...

Any one out there have good/bad experiences with aging cigars in the humi........ I know most cigars should be given at least 2 months grace in the humi to settle, but beyond that...do sticks always get better....basically i'm looking to start a tread where people explain there aging experiences..brands before...... than after aging, what smokes you should age..and what you smoke right away(at the mail box) without any real change...im interested..well...you guys know...THE SLOPE....hundreds in the humi.....will take a little while to smoke...even at 4-5 sticks a week......i want to prioritize ....I erks me to think about the little guys going sour because of the steepness of the.... Thanks

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I'd say never smoke them out of the mail box. After being in the back of a 90F UPS truck for a few days, I doubt any cigar would taste good. I've found aging them in a humidor for a week after UPS drops them off makes them taste better/brings them back to normal

Beyond that, none of my nails have lasted long enough to really know anything about aging :p

Although I have no experience in the matter, I've read that if you age a cigar beyond it's optimal time . . . nothing really happens; it doesn't necessarily degrade, it jsut stops getting better
  • Options
    jeff_connorsjeff_connors Posts: 483
    well , out of the mail box is out of the question.....temping sometimes though...
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Ahh the ancient question ... check this out.

Thisand

This This Ignore the end of the second thread with all the arguing. LOL
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    How many days do you think a box is ok in the back of said UPS truck before irreparable damage is done the smokes? Or can that even happen?
  • Options
    As long as its wrapped in cellophane i believe it should be fine.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I wouldn't want my cigars sitting in a UPS truck or warehouse for more than 3-4 days...can't say if more would harm them or not, I'm just not that patient.

Aging is a hard one, some cigars require it while other see no real benefit, in my opinion. The best way is to smoke them fresh and see what you think, if it's not that great then put one away for three months and see how you like it then, then try six months, then a year. The only way to know is to find out, so get on with the experiments.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    I wouldn't want my cigars sitting in a UPS truck or warehouse for more than 3-4 days...can't say if more would harm them or not, I'm just not that patient.

Aging is a hard one, some cigars require it while other see no real benefit, in my opinion. The best way is to smoke them fresh and see what you think, if it's not that great then put one away for three months and see how you like it then, then try six months, then a year. The only way to know is to find out, so get on with the experiments.
    I agree with Joe, as usual.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jeff_connors:
    what smokes you should age.
    rule of thumb: age smokes that are more full in body or tend to be spicy. age mellows tobacco. mild cigars will mellow all the flavor out of existence.

• Options
    jeff_connorsjeff_connors Posts: 483
    whats the time line on this? months.. .years... weeks ?? each cigar should come with a mathematical model so we can graph age vs. flavor ..i could plan my smoking schedule on that..there could be variables thrown in there.... humidity, neighboring smokes, temperature ect....the "what are you smoking tonight" thread could become completely computer generated!!!.well....i'm just trying to justify buying more really,...... but there's no point if the ones I buy today don't get smoked until next year..and then next year the cigars are crapola...oh yeh and sorry about the repeat thread .....just looking to carry on this thread http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/56562.aspx ...
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Remember that a lot of cigars are already aged by the manufacturer - high end cigars have their tobacco aged for 1-2 yrs, then rolled, then agead 1-3 yrs on top of that.

Also, I agree with j0z3r, which is why I always pay for 2-day shipping for my cigars (after spending $50-$100, it pays to spend $13 more and make sure those nails aren't degraded by the time they hit your door)
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jeff_connors:
    whats the time line on this? months.. .years... weeks ?? each cigar should come with a mathematical model so we can graph age vs. flavor
    HERE is a thread where we discuss just this. there is more than one viewpoint. in a strange way, its kind of personal when "age" starts for you.