Home General Discussion
Options

Xikar modification

I was considering getting a xikar cutter, but the auto locking mechanism seems like it might get a bit annoying. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on maybe modifying the locking mechanism by taking out the spring or something along those lines, so that it only locks when you slide the lock. My question is, has anyone done this, or found a reason why you couldn't, and is it even possible to disassemble the cutter to get into the workings...

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    one of the biggest reasons why Xikar is such a good brand is because it has a warranty with it. the real question is:
    with this void that warranty?

• Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    I considered that, but the ideal situation would be to modify the cutter in a way that you can reassemble it again if you need to send it in for repair. How is the cutter fastened? is it a screw or a rivet?
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I don't see why it would be so hard to press a little button down... If you are going to take the time to season and care for a humidor, slowly roast a cigar so it has the perfect light, puff slowly so you can enjoy a good cigar, then why would it be such a pain to press a little button down that only takes a fraction of a second before you cut the cigar? Just seems like a lot of trouble over something that really doesn't slow down the smoking process...
  • Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    lol, i guess I just like to fiddle? Make everything as custom perfect as I can? It's not pushing the lock down before I cut, but I think that having them lock every time you shut them, at the bottom of every cut, would get annoying. I think I would like to have them open and shut freely, and then be able to lock them when I'm done cutting and cleaning them. I found a diagram for the xi2 and I think I'll be able to do what I want with them, but the other cutters are riveted, so no go. If anyone is interested I'll post my results after I get my cutter and mod it.
  • Options
    brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    Having it lock shut after cutting bugs me some, but I have gotten used to pushing the button back down to blow out the loose tobacco. I think it would be ideal if the little slide would have a notch to the side, like an "L" shape that would unlock it for use, then allow it to stay closed when it is in my pocket. They should fix that, IMO.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Yeah, I think that would be ideal. Like a safety.