Home General Discussion
Options

Recommendation for a new palate

Friends,

I am relatively new to cigars and am looking for some recommendations.  I have smoked irregularly for about 6 months now.  I have gravitated to the mild to mild-medium cigars.  Thus far, my favorites are Rocky Patel Connecticut, 5 Vegas Gold, Cusano 18, and basically all that comprise the Mild Sampler offered through Cigar.com.  My questions are:

1.  What other recommendations do you have in this genre?

2.  I have tried two medium-full cigars and was nearly knocked out.  But I notice many high review/rating for this style.  Is there a good way to graduate to the big leagues?  Recommendations for the process and what to smoke?

3.  I have also noticed seconds while looking at the catalogs and sites.  Is it worth it?  Are they really as good as the original for a fraction of the price?  Recommendations?

Many thanks.

Marcus

Comments

• Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    1) If you liked 5 vegas gold, you'd prolly like the classic blend. I also like the serie A blend, which is a maduro, so it looks strong, but it's actually a sweeter smoother milder cigar. 2) Just smoke mild till you don't get sick feeling anymore and then step up. There's no reason to rush into something that makes you queasy...the point is to enjoy the process. Also, try eating before you smoke, a full stomach makes a world of difference. 3) I started off smoking seconds and the ccom sampler, which is as cheap as seconds. Some seconds are fine, but some are a waste of money. Before I buy anything I always search for reviews on them, that'll give you a good idea of what you're getting into. Reading the little descriptions of the cigars on the site isn't always a good way to tell if that stick is for you. Those writers are trying to sell their cigars, and they make all the cigars sound like normal people don't deserve to even look at them... welcome to the hobby, hope you have a good job!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    1: Try out some Cusano cigars, many tend to be in the mild-medium to medium strength range. There are also some good Fuente cigars to be had in that strength range, such as the 8-5-8 flor fina and the Cuban corona from the regular line. Also the new Oliva Connecticut Reserve is a nice medium bodied cigar.

2: The best way to graduate up in strength is to do it gradually, work your way up to them, they're not going anywhere.

3: Yes! The seconds are a great buy for cigars that are just as good as the firsts, though sometime not quite as pretty. Honestly though, quite often I have to try pretty hard to spot the difference. I'm a big fan of the Perdomo ESV '91 seconds as well as the Indian Tabac 10th Anniversary.
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    Hey Joe, I have been wanting to try the Perdomo ESV 91. Do you have a couple your willing to trade?
  • Options
    Hey Leonard, haven't heard from ya in a while, how ya doin?. Yeah, I've got plenty of them, no need for the trade though, I'd happily part with a couple. Give me a call sometime and I'll shoot on over and bring you some.
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    Joe, im doing fine. Been crazy busy at work. how about tomorrow afternoon? Leaving for Vegas Friday and it would be cool to try one in Vegas.
  • Options
    Sure thing. Give me a call sometime after 3:30 and I'll be around.