Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Kiwi Shoe Shine

Alright, I was never in the military but I decided to start polishing my shoes with Kiwi polish. I've watched a few videos(all different - one guy licks his boot). I'm starting to get the hang of it (appliying layers) but am curious on the polishing/buffing/water parts.

Here's what I have as a technique and your suggestions/tips are welcome.

1. Clean shoes (brush or use water if dirty).
2. Apply polish in small circles (should see streaks and shoe getting dull). Add a small amount of water on each layer.
3. Apply additional layers as needed.
4. Use brush
5. Buff with new cloth.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    are you trying to get a "spit" shine?
  • Options
    For a spit shine, this is what I do:

1. Put some polish on the shoe/boot and then buff it out with the brush. Repeat 3-4 times to establish a bse.

2. I use my fingers (applies a little body heat) and get a decent amount of polish on them and rub it into the shoe/boot. Do this across the entire surface twice and establish a thick coat. It should look very dull.

3. Using a regular soft flame lighter, heat up the polish you just put on the surface. The flame should be held far enough away that it just melts the polish. This will smooth it out and give it a little but more of a shine than what you put on with your finger.

4. Have a little dish of water. Wrap cotton material around your index and middle finger, just one layer. I use an old white t-shirt. Make the cloth tight around those two fingers with enough surface area (atleast down to the first finger joint). Dip those cloth covered fingers into the water, then blot them off on something dry. You just want it moist, not dripping wet. Then press firmly into the polish container, not too hard but firmly. If you press straight in and firmly enough, when you pull it back out you will notice the white closh is more brownish than black. This is the wax in the polish. Lightly rub that in circular motion on the boot/shoe in small areas. This will produce the high gloss shine. Repeat this over the entire shoe.

This only works with the solid polish in the tin can, not the liquid stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I am using the tins cans and even bought parade gloss. Is using the flame called bulling? Will the edge finisher(?) restore the black on the sides of the soles that has worn away? If I don't want to use a flame, what would I do in its place, if anything? Thanks.
  • Options
    the flame speeds up the process. If you don't want to do it that way, it just takes time. Edge dressing will put a nice finish on the sole edges, just put it on lightly becuase it will build up and look bad if too much is applied, and becareful not to get it on the leather.
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Ah, the good old days of blackened fingers.
    Kiwi was the most accessible, Lincoln Stain Wax was the best for a mirror-finish spit shine.
    Also, a cotton diaper (a clean one please) worked the best.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    My B&M has a guy that does a great job so gives me an excuse to go. Wife has no idea that shoe shines don't cost $100......LOL
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    marineatbn03:

1. Put some polish on the shoe/boot and then buff it out with the brush. Repeat 3-4 times to establish a bse.

2. I use my fingers (applies a little body heat) and get a decent amount of polish on them and rub it into the shoe/boot. Do this across the entire surface twice and establish a thick coat. It should look very dull.

3. Using a regular soft flame lighter, heat up the polish you just put on the surface. The flame should be held far enough away that it just melts the polish. This will smooth it out and give it a little but more of a shine than what you put on with your finger.

4. Have a little dish of water. Wrap cotton material around your index and middle finger, just one layer. I use an old white t-shirt. Make the cloth tight around those two fingers with enough surface area (atleast down to the first finger joint). Dip those cloth covered fingers into the water, then blot them off on something dry. You just want it moist, not dripping wet. Then press firmly into the polish container, not too hard but firmly. If you press straight in and firmly enough, when you pull it back out you will notice the white closh is more brownish than black. This is the wax in the polish. Lightly rub that in circular motion on the boot/shoe in small areas. This will produce the high gloss shine. Repeat this over the entire shoe.

+1! No lighters in boot camp so it was polishing until your fingers were sore. Strangely enough, when I got to my squadron we weren't allowed to polish our boots when we worked the flight line...
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    james40:
    Alright, I was never in the military but I decided to start polishing my shoes with Kiwi polish. I've watched a few videos(all different - one guy licks his boot). I'm starting to get the hang of it (appliying layers) but am curious on the polishing/buffing/water parts.

Here's what I have as a technique and your suggestions/tips are welcome.

1. Clean shoes (brush or use water if dirty).
    2. Apply polish in small circles (should see streaks and shoe getting dull). Add a small amount of water on each layer.
    3. Apply additional layers as needed.
    4. Use brush
    5. Buff with new cloth.

Thanks for any help.
    Who does this on their own?! Just kidding brother.
  • Options
    Toombes:
    marineatbn03:

+1! No lighters in boot camp so it was polishing until your fingers were sore. Strangely enough, when I got to my squadron we weren't allowed to polish our boots when we worked the flight line...
    2 years on the Silent Drill Platoon, you had to learn the most expeditious way to get it done. I have known guys that have baked their boots in the oven.
  • Options
    I had a drill sergeant tell me one time that he was going to stick his foot up my a$$ so far that I would taste kiwi. I got the point.
  • Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    marineatbn03:

Jeez, that brought me back!
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    ug dan:
    marineatbn03:

Jeez, that brought me back!
    +1 we did it with a few variations but all the components are here,, brush,,cotton balls,, water,, and lighter
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    james40:
    If I don't want to use a flame, what would I do in its place, if anything? Thanks.
    Hairdryer.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience:
    james40:
    If I don't want to use a flame, what would I do in its place, if anything? Thanks.
    Hairdryer.
    You can light the polish while its still in the can,, use the lid to put it out and rub on with wet/damp cotton ball while still in liquid form.
  • Options
    The Kid:
    0patience:
    james40:
    Hairdryer.
    You can light the polish while its still in the can,, use the lid to put it out and rub on with wet/damp cotton ball while still in liquid form.
    Only problem with this is it burns the wax, and makes the polish not last as long.
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    The Kid:
    0patience:
    james40:
    Hairdryer.
    Only problem with this is it burns the wax, and makes the polish not last as long.
    ??? please explain
  • Options
    The Kid:
    marineatbn03:
    The Kid:
    0patience:
    james40:
    Hairdryer.
    ??? please explain
    It works great the first couple of times, but when you set it on fire, it draws the wax and that is what is burning. Coincedently the wax is what makes the polish color shine. So after a couple of times, there is not as much wax left and the quality of the shine starts to diminish.
  • Options
    ^ x2 Its not worth it to burn the polish. Its better to heat the boots if you can.
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    The Kid:
    marineatbn03:
    The Kid:
    0patience:
    james40:
    Hairdryer.
    ??? please explain
    It works great the first couple of times, but when you set it on fire, it draws the wax and that is what is burning. Coincedently the wax is what makes the polish color shine. So after a couple of times, there is not as much wax left and the quality of the shine starts to diminish.
    Oh ok gotcha,, thought you were talkin bout somethin else, alot depends on how long one lets the fire go, but yes after repeated meltdowns the polish will lose its quality!!!