Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Medicare and Doctors

jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
I dont know who on here is old enough.... I am getting close but not there yet so my question is for you more mature folks.......

My mother in law is 84 and lives outside of Houston and she is finding it harder and harder to find any doctor there locally that will accept Medicare. I was wondering if this is just a local thing or happens a lot. The doctor she found seems to send her for lots and lots of tests that to me dont seem to be related to her issues but then I am not a doctor so I wouldnt know for sure.

Anyone else finding doctors who dont take Medicare patients?

Comments

• Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Well, I accept Medicare, but with the proposed cuts, I will be forced to re-evaluate that. The proposed cuts are anywhere from 15-25% across the board. So essentially, the government is asking health care professionals to do the same job and give the same quality of care for 15-25% less than last year. It is not feasible. We had to quit taking Medicaid in my office bc the reimbursment was so low, we could not afford to cover overhead when seeing those patients. It is not a matter of wanting to help people. I would not have gone into this business and left a much higher paying job to go back to school. If I can't afford to keep my doors open and can't pay my power bill from the reimbursement, then it is time to quit taking that plan in my opinion.

Secondly, it starts a trend. Insurance companies want to pay as little as possible. So, most will base their reimbursement on medicare rates, for example, 150% of Medicare. Well, if that service was $50 to Medicare, then Private insurance companies will pay $75 and it helps offset the low rates of Medicare. So what will happen is that when the Medicare rate of reimbursement is cut, the Private Pay rates are cut too. So like I said, it will begin to become the norm that more and more providers refuse to accept Medicare. In fact, I have even considered a cash-only practice. Or maybe I'll just take chickens and goats as payment.....who knows? LOL.

As far as the physician she has found, I would trust him to make the right decisions. There is no reason, other than the right ones, that he would send her for those tests.
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    While I repect Doctors and what they do, and hospitals and the sevice they provide, I think it all needs to be stated that it starts with the cost of healthcare in the first place. Why should it cost 300-1000 dollars for someone to take an x-ray of you? IMO the prices charged for healthcare are unrealistic and over inflated. Now, this doesn't apply to every field of medicine, but there is way too much greed in the medical community.

P.S. Not intending to insult the BOTL here that belong to the medical community, I know there are a few of you.
  • Options
    MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    When I was back home in Katy I couldn't find a doctor that took Medicare, the only one that did was my Chiropractor. While visiting family in Cali the same thing doctors are not taking anybody in with Medicare. So if I get sick I just do a lot of home/natural medicine stuff

In fact, I have even considered a cash-only practice. Or maybe I'll just take chickens and goats as payment.....who knows? LOL.
    Doc I like your idea about taking chickens or goats or a cash only practice. SO when I am in your area I will make an appointment for a checkup and bring a box of Padrons for payment.

• Options
    MTuccelli:
    When I was back home in Katy I couldn't find a doctor that took Medicare, the only one that did was my Chiropractor. While visiting family in Cali the same thing doctors are not taking anybody in with Medicare. So if I get sick I just do a lot of home/natural medicine stuff

In fact, I have even considered a cash-only practice. Or maybe I'll just take chickens and goats as payment.....who knows? LOL.
    Doc I like your idea about taking chickens or goats or a cash only practice. SO when I am in your area I will make an appointment for a checkup and bring a box of Padrons for payment.

I truly appreciate that Mike! PM to you sir!
  • Options
    MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    marineatbn03:
    While I repect Doctors and what they do, and hospitals and the sevice they provide, I think it all needs to be stated that it starts with the cost of healthcare in the first place. Why should it cost 300-1000 dollars for someone to take an x-ray of you? IMO the prices charged for healthcare are unrealistic and over inflated. Now, this doesn't apply to every field of medicine, but there is way too much greed in the medical community.

P.S. Not intending to insult the BOTL here that belong to the medical community, I know there are a few of you.
    I think you bring up an interesting point. The overcharging is how we're paying for those who don't, won't, or can't pay. So, in effect, what's been done for decades is essentially to "tax" ,so to speak, the sickest, and their insurance comapanies, to cover the cost of universal care. Because we already have universal care, everyone gets seen, everyone gets treated, those who are sickest, most hurt, pay the difference if they have means or health insurance.

So, it seems that our choices are:
    a) Return to a system of no cash no care, or
    b) Come up with some kind of universal plan that everyone pays into.

One thing's for sure, what we've been doing for the last 40 years or so isn't working.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    marineatbn03:

I think you bring up an interesting point. The overcharging is how we're paying for those who don't, won't, or can't pay. So, in effect, what's been done for decades is essentially to "tax" ,so to speak, the sickest, and their insurance comapanies, to cover the cost of universal care. Because we already have universal care, everyone gets seen, everyone gets treated, those who are sickest, most hurt, pay the difference if they have means or health insurance.

One thing's for sure, what we've been doing for the last 40 years or so isn't working.
    I believe that if everyone had to pay for their own doctor bills that the cost of care would go down. No one has any idea what doctor visits or tests actually cost since they dont pay.
  • Options
    jadelt:
    Amos Umwhat:
    marineatbn03:

I believe that if everyone had to pay for their own doctor bills that the cost of care would go down. No one has any idea what doctor visits or tests actually cost since they dont pay.
    I totally agree. I think that obesity rates, cancer rates(lung), diabetes, etc. would all decrease once people were responsible for their own health. People would actually take better care of themselves and eachother!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    jadelt:
    Amos Umwhat:
    marineatbn03:

It's that easy. You know, my wife had insurance and still filed bankruptcy because the freaking hospital tried to garnish her wages and you want to know the F'd up part, they didn't do anything for her, gave her a shitload of tests when she had an internal pain and sent us home with her still in pain but with a bunch of drugs in her. We got the bill and it was 7000 dollars. That's with insurance. Well she didn't have that money, no where close and she was getting like 15.00 dollars an hour working at a bank. That was back in 05 but getting a 7000 dollar bill is a shock. So if by saying if people would just pay their bills that costs would go down is a bit of a funny statement. Costs here in this country are hugely inflated from other countries that do have good healthcare. So for tests that go for 10000 here the same tests go for what 200 or 100 bucks? MRI's I think or something like that. It goes further than just people with crappy income paying for whatever the hospitals want to charge. Seems that most 1st world countries have figured it out, we seem to be falling behind them yet again.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Well Pheebs at least we have the best health care----oh wait. Well we do have the longest life expec-----oh wait. At least we have the lowest infant mortal...oh wait. We do have the lowest amont of preventable deat-----oh wait. Should I go on?
  • Options
    My point is this, when a hospital can offer a "cash" discount to pay your bill, it shows the level of over charging and inflating prices. My wife recently went to the emergency room for a kidney stone. No over night, only an x-ray and some pain meds. She drove herself to the hospital, so no ambulance ride. The bill: 6000. They said if she paid cash it was 2800. Thats a big problem to me.
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    My point is this, when a hospital can offer a "cash" discount to pay your bill, it shows the level of over charging and inflating prices. My wife recently went to the emergency room for a kidney stone. No over night, only an x-ray and some pain meds. She drove herself to the hospital, so no ambulance ride. The bill: 6000. They said if she paid cash it was 2800. Thats a big problem to me.
    I understand the frustration, but remember that there are countless examples where the hospital gets ZERO reimbursement for services rendered.
  • Options
    I understand that too Doc. I just don't think that others should have to pay for it. When I lived in Florida, the price of health insurance was asronomical. For me, my wife, and son it was over $1000 a month. I dropped it. I could go to urgent care for $80 and get taken care of. Now, I know the benefit of having insurance is when something major occurs, i.e. cancer, major surgery etc., but it should be made more affordable. And I honestly, maybe even due to ignorance, can't see why health care can't be made more affordable.
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    I understand that too Doc. I just don't think that others should have to pay for it. When I lived in Florida, the price of health insurance was asronomical. For me, my wife, and son it was over $1000 a month. I dropped it. I could go to urgent care for $80 and get taken care of. Now, I know the benefit of having insurance is when something major occurs, i.e. cancer, major surgery etc., but it should be made more affordable. And I honestly, maybe even due to ignorance, can't see why health care can't be made more affordable.
    Well, it really depends on your stance doesn't it? Should those with more pay more, so that those with less can pay less? Or should there be one rate that applies to all, straight across the board?
  • Options
    I agree with equal. I can deal with that. But I don't agree that it should be forced on everyone. Not sure you can have your cake and eat it too, but something needs to give.
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    I agree with equal. I can deal with that. But I don't agree that it should be forced on everyone. Not sure you can have your cake and eat it too, but something needs to give.
    I agree that something needs to give, and please don't think that I am being combative. I believe that "healthy" exchange of ideas is precisely what is needed. The problem with equal or the same across the board means that those that can not pay even a lower rate will be turned away. If they don't own anything, and don't have the cash, then who "eats" the cost of care?
  • Options
    I don't think you are being combative. I have a good friend who is a Trauma surgeon, and he was complaining about the same thing, having to eat expenses of someone who can not pay. Devils advocate here, are doctors over paid? Is that a factor to the cost of healthcare?
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    I don't think you are being combative. I have a good friend who is a Trauma surgeon, and he was complaining about the same thing, having to eat expenses of someone who can not pay. Devils advocate here, are doctors over paid? Is that a factor to the cost of healthcare?
    A few doctors probably are overpaid, most are not. One of the problems is that business majors are running health care on the principals of production line businesses, it doesn't work in health care, the bottom line is different, but they only think of the $ bottom line. It won't work.
    Who is being overpaid are insurance executives, corporate executives, and others who contribute little or nothing to the health-care process, but who reap the greatest rewards, $$$$$$$$ in amounts that are far greater than anyone who actually does anything for the patient will be receiving.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    marineatbn03:
    A few doctors probably are overpaid, most are not. One of the problems is that business majors are running health care on the principals of production line businesses, it doesn't work in health care, the bottom line is different, but they only think of the $ bottom line. It won't work.
    Who is being overpaid are insurance executives, corporate executives, and others who contribute little or nothing to the health-care process, but who reap the greatest rewards, $$$$$$$$ in amounts that are far greater than anyone who actually does anything for the patient will be receiving.
    I agree with this, but to me it is the same issue as the question: Are politicians overpaid? No businessman, CEO, etc. is going to voluntarily take a pay cut. Therefore, the only way to make a profit is for the hospital, business, etc. to make enough money to cover those salaries.

I mean, (completely playing devil's advocate because I would never endorse this) what do you think the response would be if something was passed that decreased all service men and women's salary by 15-25% percent? I for one would be outraged, but can you see the similarities? Do you think that less people would enlist, that our military would become weaker from a morale perspective?
  • Options
    Just frosts my a** when I see the 'poor' people in the waiting room of the ER chatting on their iPhone. People have their priorities all screwed up. They can afford an iPhone but cant afford to take care of their own health. Heck, why should they when someone else will pay.
  • Options
    jadelt:
    Just frosts my a** when I see the 'poor' people in the waiting room of the ER chatting on their iPhone. People have their priorities all screwed up. They can afford an iPhone but cant afford to take care of their own health. Heck, why should they when someone else will pay.
    Don't get me wrong, I see people for free ALL the time! But I feel the same way about cigarette smokers. I'm not gonna cut you some slack on your bill so that you can go down the street and spend what I saved you on a carton of smokes!
  • Options
    mmccartneydc:
    Amos Umwhat:
    marineatbn03:
    I agree with this, but to me it is the same issue as the question: Are politicians overpaid? No businessman, CEO, etc. is going to voluntarily take a pay cut. Therefore, the only way to make a profit is for the hospital, business, etc. to make enough money to cover those salaries.

I mean, (completely playing devil's advocate because I would never endorse this) what do you think the response would be if something was passed that decreased all service men and women's salary by 15-25% percent? I for one would be outraged, but can you see the similarities? Do you think that less people would enlist, that our military would become weaker from a morale perspective?
    Good points, all, so maybe we need a top down overhaul? I could see your comparison to the reduction in salary if we're talking military = doctors, nurses, techs etc. But as for those in the categories I mentioned, well, that's a different story. You're absolutely right that they're not going to give up a cent of their money. My question is, how much is earned vs. how much is taken by force.

An example of the overhead that I'm speaking of might be Columbia Health Care. When Rick Scott took over the hospital I was working at at that time, we lost a quarter of the employees in no time flat. In essence, he took the money they were making and kept it for himself, then cashed out the whole deal, leaving Health Care much the poorer. It's time for something better.

• Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    mmccartneydc:
    jadelt:
    Amos Umwhat:
    marineatbn03:

I totally agree. I think that obesity rates, cancer rates(lung), diabetes, etc. would all decrease once people were responsible for their own health. People would actually take better care of themselves and eachother!
    And if you can't afford to pay for your medical care, and you have cancer, or some other life threatening illness, then the poor should just be allowed to die?
  • Options
    JDH:
    mmccartneydc:
    jadelt:
    Amos Umwhat:
    marineatbn03:

And if you can't afford to pay for your medical care, and you have cancer, or some other life threatening illness, then the poor should just be allowed to die, or suffer economic ruin; bankruptcy and foreclosure because they had the audacity to get sick??
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    JDH:
    mmccartneydc:
    jadelt:
    Amos Umwhat:
    marineatbn03:

And if you can't afford to pay for your medical care, and you have cancer, or some other life threatening illness, then the poor should just be allowed to die?
    We will always have the poor. What percent of the population are you comfortable with? 10%? 47%? We can take care of the 10%. Fix the economy and many of these problems go away. We cant have 53% paying the entire bill. Doesn't work in any kind of government.
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    damn!
  • Options
    Vulchor:
    Well Pheebs at least we have the best health care----oh wait. Well we do have the longest life expec-----oh wait. At least we have the lowest infant mortal...oh wait. We do have the lowest amont of preventable deat-----oh wait. Should I go on?
    What I don't understand is that the generation that went to ww2 and largely is on SS and medicare are the one's who support the GOP. I don't know if it's just because it is what they use to do back in the day or that they really are hypocrites. I mean they created the greatest nation on earth and pushed the US into the 1st spot, they built the middle class, created good union jobs, created the interstates, pushed SS, medicare and a bunch of other things. Now so many of them seem to want to destroy that by putting people in office that do it. The empathy and compassion have left this country it seems. I mean what has to happen for it to come back. The real thing is I hate people, I really do but I think for a country to succeed it needs to take care of it's people otherwise it will fail.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    JDH:
    mmccartneydc:
    jadelt:
    Amos Umwhat:
    marineatbn03:

We will always have the poor. What percent of the population are you comfortable with? 10%? 47%? We can take care of the 10%. Fix the economy and many of these problems go away. We cant have 53% paying the entire bill. Doesn't work in any kind of government.
    That is not an answer to my question. It is a statement intended to dodge my question. When the poor get sick, should they be allowed to die bacause they do not have the means to pay? If they survive their illness, should they be bankrupted and loose everything they own because they had the audacity to get sick?
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    mmccartneydc:
    Amos Umwhat:
    marineatbn03:

Good points, all, so maybe we need a top down overhaul? I could see your comparison to the reduction in salary if we're talking military = doctors, nurses, techs etc. But as for those in the categories I mentioned, well, that's a different story. You're absolutely right that they're not going to give up a cent of their money. My question is, how much is earned vs. how much is taken by force.

An example of the overhead that I'm speaking of might be Columbia Health Care. When Rick Scott took over the hospital I was working at at that time, we lost a quarter of the employees in no time flat. In essence, he took the money they were making and kept it for himself, then cashed out the whole deal, leaving Health Care much the poorer. It's time for something better.
    Oh, I almost forgot to mention "Big-Pharma".
    Here's a story,
    A doctor I know returns to his home country, visits a doctor friend of his, and while there sees his friend prescribe exactly the same treatment he'd prescribed here in the U.S. a couple weeks prior. He tells his friend
    "Your patient can't afford that! That prescription is $2,500.00"
    His friends reply:
    "Maybe in the U.S., here I prescribe that all the time, costs about $25.00 for two weeks worth"
    Makes you think, doesnt' it?

• Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    Amos Umwhat:
    mmccartneydc:
    Amos Umwhat:
    marineatbn03:

Oh, I almost forgot to mention "Big-Pharma".
    Here's a story,
    A doctor I know returns to his home country, visits a doctor friend of his, and while there sees his friend prescribe exactly the same treatment he'd prescribed here in the U.S. a couple weeks prior. He tells his friend
    "Your patient can't afford that! That prescription is $2,500.00"
    His friends reply:
    "Maybe in the U.S., here I prescribe that all the time, costs about $25.00 for two weeks worth"
    Makes you think, doesnt' it?
    What that makes me think is that in the USA, profit is more valuable than life.