Home Non Cigar Related
Options

3D TV

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Our TV in our living room was being a problem and we had stopped to look at a new blueray player and they had a Vizio 65" 3D LED TV on sale. We had a little money ahead from a few side work I had done, so we decided to splurge and get it.

We had been to a few 3D movies at the theater and kept the glasses, so I was hoping the glasses would work for the TV. They do!

I don't know if any of you have a 3D TV, but they are really nice. We watched Avengers on 3D and it was just like in the theater. Now we will have to keep our eye out for a home theater sound system for it.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    Our TV in our living room was being a problem and we had stopped to look at a new blueray player and they had a Vizio 65" 3D LED TV on sale. We had a little money ahead from a few side work I had done, so we decided to splurge and get it.

We had been to a few 3D movies at the theater and kept the glasses, so I was hoping the glasses would work for the TV. They do!

I don't know if any of you have a 3D TV, but they are really nice. We watched Avengers on 3D and it was just like in the theater. Now we will have to keep our eye out for a home theater sound system for it.
    Having never been to a 3D movie, is it that much better? For example, 1080 compared to non HD TV looks freaking amaizng and is really worth it to me. However, blueray compared to dvd is not that much off a differance. Sorry to semi threadjack.
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Thats aweome Tony. I haven;t checked those out, but the house commandant would never approve that, not when I am lobbying for a Harley.
  • Options
    Rain:
    0patience:

Having never been to a 3D movie, is it that much better? For example, 1080 compared to non HD TV looks freaking amaizng and is really worth it to me. However, blueray compared to dvd is not that much off a differance. Sorry to semi threadjack.
    The cost of a non-3D TV and this one was a $20 difference, so we opted for the 3D TV.
    It still plays regular HD. But when a 3D disk is put in, it asks if you want to switch to 3D.
    As for 3D being much better, I'm not sure if the picture is better or the experience is better.
    It's a pain to have to wear the glasses, but it gets really interesting when things seem to come out of the screen at you. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    Thats aweome Tony. I haven;t checked those out, but the house commandant would never approve that, not when I am lobbying for a Harley.
    The prices of the big screens is really coming down.
    This one was $1200 on sale. Which is a lot for a TV, but every once in a while, a guy has to just say the hell with it and spend the money.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    20 dollars, I see. I would have gotten it too then. I'm thinking it is like $200+ more expensive. I'll keep my eye out next time we're in the TV market.
  • Options
    0patience:
    The prices of the big screens is really coming down.
    This one was $1200 on sale. Which is a lot for a TV, but every once in a while, a guy has to just say the hell with it and spend the money.
    Sage advice.
  • Options
    Rain:
    20 dollars, I see. I would have gotten it too then. I'm thinking it is like $200+ more expensive. I'll keep my eye out next time we're in the TV market.
    If you keep your eye out for the deals, you can usually end up with some pretty great deals.
    Personally, I like Vizio's products. I have yet to have any troubles with any of them.
    All the monitors in our house are Vizio, with exception of my son's PC, which is an HP monitor that came with the PC. And when he finds a Vizio at a decent price, he'll replace the HP.

I got paint job on a Harley split tank to get painted up for a guy and may make enough for a decent home theater sound system.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    0patience:
    Rain:
    If you keep your eye out for the deals, you can usually end up with some pretty great deals.
    Personally, I like Vizio's products. I have yet to have any troubles with any of them.
    All the monitors in our house are Vizio, with exception of my son's PC, which is an HP monitor that came with the PC. And when he finds a Vizio at a decent price, he'll replace the HP.

I got paint job on a Harley split tank to get painted up for a guy and may make enough for a decent home theater sound system.
    Onkyo is a great system
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    0patience:
    Rain:

Onkyo is a great system
    Looking on Amazon, those systems aren't too terribly expensive.
    Thanks!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    0patience:
    marineatbn03:
    0patience:
    Rain:

Onkyo is a great system
    Looking on Amazon, those systems aren't too terribly expensive.
    Thanks!
    They aren't but have great quality, and last forever.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:

Bose
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Pete (Vision) should weigh in on this. I think he does this stuff for a living.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    Rain:

Tony want to buy my Harley 2009 Heritage Softail with very few miles?? Just North of you??
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Pete (Vision) should weigh in on this. I think he does this stuff for a living.

At 4am and the liitle dude is being fussy I sure will =)

There are few ways to get really good sound in your room. Hone Theater in a Box, Sound Bar, Bose, or Receiver/Speaker Combo. Lets start shall we?

Cost. Depending on what you want to spend, you can start around $300-400 and move all the way up to $2000-$4000.
    Most good speaker bars will range from $400-$600 (Polk, Boston Acoustic, ZVox), $600-$1100 (Harmon Kardon, Energy, Martin Logan, Definitive Technology) or $1200-$2500 (Bose, Bowers and Wilkins).Most if not all will come with a Sub. These are great solutions in rooms where you dont want to cut holes in your walls to hide wire or drape the wire across your floor. Some, like the Bose and B&W sound better then some $4000 systems ive done. We just did the Bose sound bar and I was blown away at its ability to create surround sound out of a single speaker bar. I mean like no #@#$ there was sound behind, above, and left and right. For $1400.00 I would hope so tho right?
    The Bose systems (3.2.1., Cinemate,Acoustimass and Lifestyle) are nice. The Lifestyle/Acoustimass is a true 5.1 with 5 Satalite speakers and a Sub. The Lifestyle has its own "Receiver" where the Acoustimass is just the speakers and Sub. The Acoustimass setup start at $999.99 and the Lifestyle at about $1999.99. Now, with the Cinemate its two front speakers that create "Phantom" surround. It will sound as if you had rear speakers even tho its only two fronts. It takes one Optical input and one Analog. The Cinemate is about $599.99.
    Home Theater in a Box. It comes down to this..... I cant think of any that can beat some of the speaker bars at the same cost with out the mess of tons of wire. If youre looking at an HTIB.... Get a Harmon Kardon or Martin Logan sound bar.
    Now we get to the tricky part.... A full blown, totaly custom, home theater setup. We are talking... Receiver, Subwoofer, Center speaker, and 4 surround speakers (Left, Right, Rear Right, Rear Left) Without seeing the space it will be in, this is a little tougher to price and recommend. I will just say you will spend about $400-$500 on a "good" receiver and about $700+ on a really nice Rec with wireless built in (Pandora, streaming your music). The speakers will run you about a grand to start if youre looking for quality and a good sub will run you about $300+. Dont get me wrong... There are some nice options like the Onkyo 560W Rec for $600 and the Definitive Tech Pro600 Home theater system that comes with all 5 speakers and a Sub for $800......$1400 for a nice setup.....

Remember..... this would not include a 3D Blu-ray player, brackets, HDMI cables, Universal Remote, ETC.....

And PS..... There is a difference in HDMI cables... sure they both carry the same signal but some are rated at higher bandwidth and the over all construction of the cable is usually better in the Monster and Audioquest HDMIs. Hope this helped a little.
  • Options
    You're my hero Peetahh.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I have an Anthem MRX700 and love it. It is a little more costly and does lack some features but it sounds incredible and has room correction. I don't really like those home theater in boxes but that is my preference and opinion. My friend was looking at the paradigm cinema package but ended up getting SVS instead.
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    You're my hero Peetahh.
    +1