Home Cigar 101
Options

I like the Partagas Black. What else should I try that is similar?

meppummeppum Posts: 2
First time poster and recent cigar noob looking for some suggestions here.

I started smoking cigars a few months ago, and was quickly hooked. After trying a few different cigars to try to narrow down what flavors I liked I finally found the Partagas Black.

Unfortunately, I've found the quality of this cigar is below standard. I'd love to find other cigars that taste similar to this. Flavors that I like about it:

-Peppercorn (probably my favorite note)
-Earth
-Cocoa or coffee
-Hint of wood

I like that to my inexperienced pallet it's full bodied, but doesn't taste like smoking a strip of leather like the Padron 1926 Anniversary #2. I've also smoked the Montecristo Monte #2, which I liked, but wasn't full flavored enough and was more spicy than peppery.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys.

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    For those kinds of flavors, you'd want to look for cigars made primarily of Honduran or Nicaracguan tobaccos. I'd say look into Camacho Corojo for a strong, earthy cigar with a decent shot of pepper. Many of the Padilla line will give you pepper and wood, but none quite as much as the Miami which is like biting into a chunk of cedar seasoned with black pepper, I also really like the Signature 1932 and 1948, the '32 is stronger and the '48 has more leather to it, but all three are pretty awesome in my book.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the 5 vegas series A.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    camacho triple maduro and gurkha beast/triple ligero. Also priva ligero 9 (drew estate)
  • Options
    bnccna2bnccna2 Posts: 44
    kuzi16:
    the 5 vegas series A.
    All around a great cigar.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I'm going to third the 5 Vegas A. Great smoke, favorite is in the apocalypse size but sdip sent me a sick one that's heavily box-pressed that I'm stokked to try.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    betasynn:
    I'm going to third the 5 Vegas A. Great smoke, favorite is in the apocalypse size .
    YES. this is one of the few cigars that i think does better with a larger ring. thats my favorite size 5Vegas A

i tried the series A before the partagas black. so in my mind i compare the black to the A... not the other way around.

ive often described the Black as a series A with the volume turned up. both are good and i always have both in my humidor. each has its time and place. but i prefer the black over the series A
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    If you like Partagas Black try Cusano P1.