Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Any boxers out there?

I'm thinkin of getting a heavy bag and some gloves to have at the house and mess around with... I'm no boxer, but I think it would do me some good... knowwhati'msayin?

looking for a recommendation on bag and practice gloves...

I was thinkin of starting with something like this...

Everlast 100-Year Anniversary 80-Pound Heavy Bag Kit

Comments

• Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    http://harbingerfitness.com/product/320/

If you are not used to punching stuff get wristwraps. Many people want to haul off and hit a bag hard as they can. Then realize their wrist was bent and it really hurts. Don't be that guy.

Also an 80# bag is a good bag to work with. Start light and easy to get your stamina up. Also helps get your form ready when you start hitting hard. Don't be discouraged if the first time you hit a heavy bag you can only do it 3 or 4 times of a couple minutes. It is a lot of work.

Form/Stamina first, power second. It will save you a lot of pain if you remember that.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Marker:
    http://harbingerfitness.com/product/320/

If you are not used to punching stuff get wristwraps. Many people want to haul off and hit a bag hard as they can. Then realize their wrist was bent and it really hurts. Don't be that guy.

Also an 80# bag is a good bag to work with. Start light and easy to get your stamina up. Also helps get your form ready when you start hitting hard. Don't be discouraged if the first time you hit a heavy bag you can only do it 3 or 4 times of a couple minutes. It is a lot of work.

Form/Stamina first, power second. It will save you a lot of pain if you remember that.
    Thanks Marker... it's funny, I was JUST looking at those gloves... but the sizing chart there is helpful... I may get those and a bag off craigslist... found this 80lb Everlast bag that looks pretty new http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/spo/3323748989.html

sounds like you've done this before... any thoughts on a training DVD or something like that? I have ZERO clue what I am doing...
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Too bad you arent closer. A friend of mine has a bag from Golds Gym that he wants to sell. Would cost a fortune to ship it. Damn thing must weigh 100+ lbs.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Marker hit the nail right on the head....Form, Form,Form, Form. Sounds simple enough or obvious, but for most people it isnt. Your best workout, your best muscle work, your skill level, your condiitoning, your footwork, any injuries you may get-----all start with good form. 80lb or 100 lb I would say, its up to you. Everlast stuff is still the best IMO, unless your actually getting in the ring with someone and are looking for Grant or another brand of "punchers" gloves. Bag gloves would be fine, and I too recommnend wraps-----or at least good form, lol. You would be fine with regular ring gloves if you wanted as well, 10 oz or 12 oz....hell you could even use 14 if you want the extra padding. I would start with 1 minute or 2 minute rounds, focusing on form and using both hands. By the 5th one, you'll be half dead, lol. Also, make sure you dont need your hands too much for the first few times you hit the bag. Theyll be bruised and muscles constricted in ways you havent seen before----so make sure you dont have a big piano recidtal that night or anything;). Get the sparring gear while your at it. D@mn you Rob, i gotta get a new bag now. I stopped sparring with guys about 2yrs ago and Ive been without a bag for about 5 months (my own fault due to weather) and I forgot how much I missing boxing.
  • Options
    Thanks Vulchor...shot you a PM
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd recommend a "wrist roll" weight.
    It was one of my regiments in baseball to strengthen the wrists for hitting and pitching.
    It will prevent you from hurting yourself on a heavy bag.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I wear briefs. Ooops, sorry, wrong boxers.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Sounds like you guys just want to hit somebody. LOL
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    I'm thinkin of getting a heavy bag and some gloves to have at the house and mess around with... I'm no boxer, but I think it would do me some good... knowwhati'msayin?

looking for a recommendation on bag and practice gloves...

I was thinkin of starting with something like this...

Everlast 100-Year Anniversary 80-Pound Heavy Bag Kit

That or get married.

What? I was thinking about children, not her.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Heavy bag, gloves and wraps showed up on Tuesday... I can see some new gloves in my near future, but the bag is fine... I think this is going to be a good investment in my mental and physical health

IMG_20121012_094346.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I've been practicing and teaching muay thai for years now. Just my opinion and I know western boxing is very different from muay thai but the principals for developing form, speed and power are very similar. Here are some thoughts:

I personally don't like wraps for the exact opposite reason Marker suggested getting them (sorry, Marker). I have a good friend and student who always wraps and has been complaining that his wrists have been sore. He's learned to hit hard and rely on the wraps for support, rather than build proper form and wrist strength. Focus on hitting with your first two knuckles - make a straight line from your index and middle finger to your elbow. Your ring and pinky fingers cannot make that line and the knuckles are more susceptible to injury. Perfect your form in punching and you won't have to rely on wraps. Hell, you won't even need gloves.

Unless you're going to be really serious about this, a cheaper setup should be fine. Everlast has been around forever, they're comfortable and they're reliable. go with what works.

Form over all. Watch as many instructional videos as possible. Consider taking private lessons just to get the basics down. Practice in a mirror to watch your form. Remember this: All of your power is generated from the waist down. I teach guys all the time: Throw with your hips. Plant your feet and use your hips to throw your power punches like you're throwing a shot put. Keep your arms and shoulders relaxed, you won't develop any real power with them and you'll tire yourself out quickly.

Use footwork and angles - throw combos and cover up. Footwork doesn't mean "bounce around a lot." Again, watch pro boxers and how their feet and legs move. Watch their stance, their hips, their shoulders, their hands.

My buddy, Mark hitting pads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPyFiA8CU-Y

and go check him out in the new Kevin James movie: Here Comes the Boom
  • Options
    better boxing video of Mark holding pads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYZasj57lfc&feature=related
  • Options
    thanks Rob... great tips... i've been all over youtube looking at different training vids and whatnot. I got the bag set up last week and it's perfect for me. I can see wanting new gloves in the very near future as these feel pretty stiff and cheaply made... I'll mess around with it for a bit and see how it goes... from a workout standpoint, I love it... I'm covered in sweat after just a few minutes and i feel at peace when I take the gloves off... amazing anger management tool
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    better boxing video of Mark holding pads: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYZasj57lfc&feature=related
    holy **** he has fast hands... wow
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Rob1110:
    I've been practicing and teaching muay thai for years now. Just my opinion and I know western boxing is very different from muay thai but the principals for developing form, speed and power are very similar. Here are some thoughts:

I personally don't like wraps for the exact opposite reason Marker suggested getting them (sorry, Marker).
    No problem here. Just suggested them since most people start out thinking they need to hit as hard as they can as fast as they can. With the wrist wraps they are forced to keep their finger/forearm line straight until that feels normal. Then they can start punching harder without the wraps when the form feels natural.
  • Options
    Marker:
    No problem here. Just suggested them since most people start out thinking they need to hit as hard as they can as fast as they can. With the wrist wraps they are forced to keep their finger/forearm line straight until that feels normal. Then they can start punching harder without the wraps when the form feels natural.
    Good point and this is something I'm stressing to my students all the time. "Focus on your form because frankly, it sucks. You'll develop power once you get your technique down. In the mean time, don't try to kill the guy with the pads, because we can hurt you more than you think."

Don't just swing for the fences. It's a common beginner's mistake. Take your time to develop your technique. Watch people who know what they're doing and you'll see they still practice very slow and calm, no effort, no power.
  • Options
    robbyras:
    holy **** he has fast hands... wow
    Yeah, Marcus is a pretty vicious boxer. Mark is also a pretty ridiculous trainer. His name is all over the UFC.

As for your set-up and the gloves, stick with it for now. Even if the gloves feel stiff, they should break in. I still have the same 16oz gloves (I like the heavier gloves for the added weight) that I started with 7 years ago and they're still in tact.

Oh, and another tip: Use a glove dryer or at least sneaker balls. Those gloves will start to stank after a little while if they aren't dried properly. You can use rice or newspaper in a muslin bag or nylon bag to help absorb the moisture if you don't want to invest in a glove/boot dryer.