Home Cigar 101
Options

More Humidor Help

Do you leave the cigars in the plastic they come in or take them out before placing them in the humidor?

Comments

• Options
    jeff_connorsjeff_connors Posts: 483
    It depends... If you get something wrapper in cedar, take off the cedar,(save it),quite often moisture will pool in the cedar sleeve and discolor the wrapper. i e 5 vegas series A, CAO black.... you can put the celo back on after you remove the cedar sleve, save the cedar and bundle it up ..drop it in the humi.. I usually leave on the cello , mainly because I have alot of different cigars all mashed together right now,although the cello is porous , its not as porous as the cigar wrapper and I think it sort of...slightly stops the marring of various cigars,that are close or touching. , also I man handle them a lot so I need some extra protection. ........ When i 'm resting a whole box or bundle of the same type in one humi or humi shelve and don't intend to touch them for a while, I will take off the cello. ... When I see a well bloomed cigar , in the cello, it does not look as nice as a well bloomed cigar not in the cello..the cello changes color sucks up some of the bloom tooo.
  • Options
    bnccna2bnccna2 Posts: 44
    willy40517:
    Do you leave the cigars in the plastic they come in or take them out before placing them in the humidor?
    As long as you aren't mixing flavored/natural cigars it shouldn't matter either way. It's my preference to take them out.
  • Options
    SlickRSSlickRS Posts: 44
    willy40517:
    It is a personal preference. If you are constantly digging through your "humi". looking for a specific cigar you might want to keep the plastic on. It will protect them. I have my "humi" set up with a divider. My regulars or favorites I have on one side and my singles or ones I have not tried I have on the other side. If you are like me and you like all cigars flavored and non flavored I would suggest two separate humidors as they may taint the flavor of one another. No plastic for me. But hold on to them because you can always use them as protection if you are traveling. Also before you even ask. The cigars seem to get the same amount of humidification with or with out the "cello" on. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    handypantzhandypantz Posts: 86
    I also leave the cello on. I had a bit of a mold issue at one point and all the cigars with cello didn't have mold...but the ones without did. So now I always leave the cello on for extra protection.
  • Options

I really appreciate the feedback. I did not post the question, but did a google search to seek an answer and found your thread. I joined cigar.com as a result of the find. Thanks again! Anyway, an underlying question I had was am I drying out the cigar by keeping the cello on. I don't think it's so much that willy40517 was so serious, but he didn't want to destroy his cigars. Here's a true story. I've enjoyed cigars from time to time, but never bought my owned and certainly am still not a connoisseur. I decided that I want to start toward being an aficionado and ordered a sample pack from Thompson Cigar. I got the package and though ‘oh how cool they wrapped my cigars individually to keep them ready-to-smoke (willing but ignorant). I enjoyed a few, with my wife and Dad and thought it was great. A few months later my dad was in town again and we got into the same stash (still in the Glad bag they were shipped in) and they were dry as a bone! It was not good. Anyway the whole point is that we are all at different stages of our cigar enjoyment. But what we have in common is that we value and enjoy cigars. Thanks again for the help!

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Mitch... Cigars always need a little attention to keep them in optimum smoking condition.. If you are storing them in a plastic Glad bag, moisten a paper towel with distilled water which is preferred, but, I have used bottled water in a pinch. Take that moistened paper towel and place it in another plastic bag with the corner cut off since you don't want the wet towel to touch your cigars, But you do want moisture to reach your cigars. Put the cigars and the second plastic bag in the larger Glad bag. Now you have a humidified container..

That is the minimum you should do. If You send me you address through a PM, I will send you some " water pillows" which are another method that I used for a long time when I first started collecting cigars. Read through these posts and ask guestions about humidors and beads to see what will work best for your interests. And by the way, we never talk about other cigar sites here at Cigar.com.. Welcome to the group Mitch.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I trust the master blenders and tercedors that make my cigars, I leave them whatever way they came

If they were meant to be taken OUT of the cello once your purchase them, then why do most of the SUPER premium sticks that I get come in NO cello??? Wouldn't the makers of the Serie 1926, Ashton ESG and VSG, Liga Privada No. 9 etc. put them in cello then???

I believe that if they come in cello the cigar is meant to be in cello, if it comes naked, it is meant to be naked...
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    I trust the master blenders and tercedors that make my cigars, I leave them whatever way they came

If they were meant to be taken OUT of the cello once your purchase them, then why do most of the SUPER premium sticks that I get come in NO cello??? Wouldn't the makers of the Serie 1926, Ashton ESG and VSG, Liga Privada No. 9 etc. put them in cello then???

I believe that if they come in cello the cigar is meant to be in cello, if it comes naked, it is meant to be naked...
    I read once that the Cuban tradition is no cello.. As well as cabinet cigars, thus packaged in the box (cabinet) alone. I prefer cello on to protect from damage, and even save cello from smoked cigars in order to re-use them on cigars I obtain without the cello.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    this thread again?
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    this thread again?
    I gotta have something to do while I'm waiting for the tap water to dry after I wiped down my humidor...
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Hah, I was just looking at a humidor called "the lauderdale" Depending on which supplier I selected it is advertised to hold 400, 500 or even 1000 cigars! Um - just who am I supposed to believe?
  • Options
    Theedge:
    Hah, I was just looking at a humidor called "the lauderdale" Depending on which supplier I selected it is advertised to hold 400, 500 or even 1000 cigars! Um - just who am I supposed to believe?
    Believe the smallest one.... then subtract 100.... then not be disappointed when it doesn't hold that many...

Humi= Get as big as you can afford, then add 100....

THEN by some damn C.CCOM SMAPLERS and fill that bad boy up to 50%....

Then wait a ew months till them bad boys are rested enough...
    Then thank me through PM that I was right....... booya