Home Cigar 101
Options

What do you buy?

bnccna2bnccna2 Posts: 44
Quick question - just curious. What do you buy more: boxes, 10 pk, 5pk, or singles? I've never bought anything more than a 5pk but thought I'd see what everyone else does.

Comments

• Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    I've only ever bought 2 boxes. One was a noob mistake thinking I was getting some good quality cheap sticks. I was sorely mistaken. The other box was of cigar.com cameroon labels. This was due to them being in my rotation more than any other smoke. Other than that I stick to 5 packs.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I probably more singles. I do buy a lot of 5-packs though. The most I've ever bought at a time is fifteen, and that was a bundle of seconds. I've never purchased a box before.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    I like going for 5 packs, they let you get a feel for a stogie, you can smoke one fresh and let them sit and age for a while to see if the age does anything to the sticks. And it doesn't hurt the wallet all that badly if you find out you don't like em.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Find a friend or two to get in on box splits. This is the best way to get deals.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Singles and 5 packs for me mostly although I've bought my fair share of boxes
  • Options
    SlickRSSlickRS Posts: 44
    bnccna2:
    Quick question - just curious. What do you buy more: boxes, 10 pk, 5pk, or singles? I've never bought anything more than a 5pk but thought I'd see what everyone else does.
    If I've had the cigar before and liked it I would buy a box. But mostly singles.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I mostly buy the daily deals that strike my fancy (two for the free S&H) and tack on some singles with the order. Singles from local B&M as well. Bought one box once and don't really care to have that many of one kind of cigar.

When you guys mention 5 packs are you talking about the daily deals? I don't see five packs anywhere else on the site.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    big: if you bought 5 singles, that would constitute a five-pack.

I like to buy fivers and singles myself when I'm sampling something, or I'll buy a fiver of a cigar I know I like but also know I won't smoke too often. If it is a cigar I really like and smoke regularly, then boxes are usually a good route, though I'm trying to get away from buying any cigars at all until I can smoke down quite a few.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Singles ... most often to try something new
    5 packs... when I find one that I like
    Boxes.. Must have, absolute favorite, can't be without when I can afford.. Bauza, Nording, 5 Vegas, La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet #1, ( and soon Double Ligero) San Cristobal. and I use to buy Aurora Cameroon1495/1994.( can't find them anymore.)
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Mostly all singles because I'm still trying to find what I like; once I know, I'll buy boxes
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    I buy the 5 pack samplers most often. Like someone previously said, I smoke one, then let the rest age to see how they develop. I have only bought a box of the Gurkha Park Avenue. I really enjoyed the smoke, and couldn't pass on the price. Luckily, i work with another member on here, so we split some boxes, most recently the NUB Maduro.
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Usually 5 packs and a few singles here and there. Luckily, some of my everyday sticks have 2nds all over the place and I get those in 15 bundles. Only time I ever bought boxes, I bought 4 of the same kind (100) because I liked the few I had and I couldn't pass up the price. Let them age for a little and took one out. I almost passed out the draw was so tight. Tried another one and same deal. Went through about twenty sticks and not one was good. Pitched the rest. Unfortunately, I got a roller on their first day on the job.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Online, mostly 5 packs and "samplers". at B&M's usually singles, i have only bought 3 boxes but each was damn well worth it!
  • Options
    thizzcorethizzcore Posts: 48
    im fairly new to this so i've been sticking to singles. pretty much everyday on my lunchbreak (im a chef) i head on over to the local cigar store and browse and purchase random cigars..but im about to place an order for a sampler. now which to chose is my next objective.
  • Options
    thizzcore:
    ..but im about to place an order for a sampler. now which to chose is my next objective.
    The Ccom mixed sampler is really good, also the 5 vegas sampler. I have some more of those on the way! Thanks for all the responses! Good to know I'm not the only one that likes the 5pks.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i buy mostly 5 packs. every now and then ill do a box split.
  • Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    undulac:
    Usually 5 packs and a few singles here and there. Luckily, some of my everyday sticks have 2nds all over the place and I get those in 15 bundles. Only time I ever bought boxes, I bought 4 of the same kind (100) because I liked the few I had and I couldn't pass up the price. Let them age for a little and took one out. I almost passed out the draw was so tight. Tried another one and same deal. Went through about twenty sticks and not one was good. Pitched the rest. Unfortunately, I got a roller on their first day on the job.
    lol, draw poker ftw? next time that happens, give me a shout out, I'll pay shipping, haha.
  • Options
    thizzcorethizzcore Posts: 48
    bnccna2:
    thizzcore:
    ..but im about to place an order for a sampler. now which to chose is my next objective.
    The Ccom mixed sampler is really good, also the 5 vegas sampler. I have some more of those on the way! Thanks for all the responses! Good to know I'm not the only one that likes the 5pks.

thanks for the response thats actually the sampler i've been looking at, just recieved a hefty paycheck and a few samplers sound nice!
  • Options
    thizzcore:
    bnccna2:
    thizzcore:

thanks for the response thats actually the sampler i've been looking at, just recieved a hefty paycheck and a few samplers sound nice!
    I don't think you'll find any lack of suggestions for what to buy on this forum.

If you're into flavored sticks you should try out the Natural by drew estate Dirt torpedo. They don't get much press on here but it's nice as a "dessert" smoke.
  • Options
    dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    If I can get a good deal on one of my fav's, i'll grab a five pack. For the most part I stick to singles though.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Usually singles but 5ers aren't uncommon if they are a decent deal. I have bought a lot of boxes though. Good thing is a lot of the boxes I have, I get singles from botl's here, so I usually don't dip into the box. Though I'm running low on comacho triple maduro's 6x60's, wink wink....
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    bnccna2:
    thizzcore:
    bnccna2:
    thizzcore:

I don't think you'll find any lack of suggestions for what to buy on this forum.

If you're into flavored sticks you should try out the Natural by drew estate Dirt torpedo. They don't get much press on here but it's nice as a "dessert" smoke.
    I can't speak for drew estates other than the kaluha, but gurkha makes a corniche which is very different and I consider it a desert smoke, very tasty, honey and nutty. Also a royal reserve/plat reserve/gran reserve if you like cognac. The CI legends copper label too.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I'm all over the board on this. I Do NOT buy very many singles. I buy mostly 5'ers and boxes or box splits. When I try something from one of the BOTL here and I like it I buy a 5'er. Then if I still like it after that, then I just wait for a good sale price from C.Com and make a box purchase. Mostly 5'ers though I guess.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Mostly 5 packs and samplers, every now and then a box split. 1 or 2 boxes mixed in there.
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    I usually buy singles and the occasional 5 pack. Recently I've been buying 2 of a cigar I haven't tried before burn on friday nights so my botl and I can have a few cocktails, throw some meat in the grill, and after a great meal send the wives away, try 'em out and share in the herf experience.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    bnccna2:
    thizzcore:
    bnccna2:
    thizzcore:

If you dig the Dirt, you should definately try the Irish Hops, probably my favorite infused stick (although the Natural line is supposedly not infused).
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    alienmisprint:
    bnccna2:
    thizzcore:
    bnccna2:
    thizzcore:

If you dig the Dirt, you should definately try the Irish Hops, probably my favorite infused stick (although the Natural line is supposedly not infused).

Can't wait to try the one you sent me Tony ..,