Home General Discussion
Options

GOING to CUBA!!!!!!

rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
Today my permission has been granted by the Diplomatic Security. That means I am allowed to visit Cuba without loosing my security clearance. I Immideatly booked my ticket and now the hardest part- visa from the Cuban embassy. My trade license from the Department of the Treasury is in process. Hopefully will be approved within days. I am planning to join the Partagas cigar party. People always dream to visit Paris but my dream has been to visit Havana. I am one step closer.

Comments

• Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Congratulations, I hope you get to make it and have a wonderful and safe time
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool deal Rip.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    musicman3musicman3 Posts: 622
    Sounds awesome!!
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    I expect awesome pics Rip! Can't wait to hear the stories.
  • Options
    Thank you all.. I have an invitation from Abel Exposito Diaz from Partagas store. He is a legend in Cuban Cigar trade. Also going to meet Hiroshi- Robina's grandson who is in charge of Robina cigars. Also made couple more contacts. Man, this is going to be a once in a lifetime experience. Also will continue my coffee table pictorial book about "Old Habana- cigar and its Culture". I have been planning this for a long time.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds so great!
    I would love to visit Cuba. It's one of those places that kindles the imagination.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    There are three cities I want to see before I die; Barcelona, Prague, and Havana. I'm very happy for you. You are going to have such a fantastic time! You'll be up to your neck in D's before you know it.
  • Options
    stadstad Posts: 396 ✭✭
    I am very happy for you. A chance to have a dream come true is rare indeed.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Don't get me wrong, I'd be excited for the cigars, but the music, culture, food, and landscape would be amazing to experience. That's awesome Rip, getting to meet Robainia will be amazing.......grab some unbanded treats lol
  • Options
    Agree, Cuba has a vibrant and exotic music, food, culture and colonial beauty. My target is to collect aged Cuban as many as possible. Also the unbanded cigars rolled for personal consumption. Already eight boxes are waiting and some personal sticks rolled only for the Cuban higher officials. I am not going to kill my time with regular smoking. Don Alejandro Robina's favorite size was petite corona and Hiroshi still has some of them. I believe to get couple of them. they have been aging over 15 years.
    catfishbluezz:
    Don't get me wrong, I'd be excited for the cigars, but the music, culture, food, and landscape would be amazing to experience. That's awesome Rip, getting to meet Robainia will be amazing.......grab some unbanded treats lol
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Agree, Cuba has a vibrant and exotic music, food, culture and colonial beauty. My target is to collect aged Cuban as many as possible. Also the unbanded cigars rolled for personal consumption. Already eight boxes are waiting and some personal sticks rolled only for the Cuban higher officials. I am not going to kill my time with regular smoking. Don Alejandro Robina's favorite size was petite corona and Hiroshi still has some of them. I believe to get couple of them. they have been aging over 15 years.
    catfishbluezz:
    You are going to have a great time brother. And the tasty tobacco is just going to be a bonus.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's like a kid going to Disneyland. Btw have you seen the documentary "lost son of Havana"? Following Luis Tiant's return to Cuba after 40+ years? Awesome and very moving, I'd highly recommend it to everyone. My wife, mother in law and father in law saw it with me and Loved it! Boy, was I surprised. It was done by ESPN films. Anyways Rip, soak it all in and enjoy!
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Astonishing how long we've clung to this irrational anti-cuba thing. Got to get off our high horse some day, You would think.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Awesome, Rip!! Like JDH, I have a bucketlist of cities to visit which include Cardiff(Wales, not Egypt), Barcelona and Havana. I'd love to be sitting on a balcony, a mojito in one hand and an aged Partagas in the other while watching the people on the street and listening to a street band playing some good music. I envy you, sir. Enjoy yourself and have a wonderful and safe journey. I look forward to the story which will imminate from such a grand adventure.
  • Options
    I'm with Dan....I'd want to spend a day or two checking out the scenery, but for the most part gettig drunk, smoking cigars, eating food and.....the music man. The music is something else.... It would be a great escape
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    catfishbluezz:
    I'm with Dan....I'd want to spend a day or two checking out the scenery, but for the most part gettig drunk, smoking cigars, eating food and.....the music man. The music is something else.... It would be a great escape
    THIS^^^^^^. Damn Rip, super jealous. Now the cigars are one thing and i would enjoy the heck out of them but I hear Cuba has a lot more to offer than just cigars. I hear the drinks, weather, food, etc. are just as good.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Color me jealous. I can't wait to hear about this trip, and all the awesome things you will experience. Congrats.
  • Options
    Havana is a beautiful city. I was there in February of this year. Great place, can't wait to go back. Enjoy yourself.
  • Options
    Finally got the call and ran to the friendly embassy. Hell...after an hour and half interview with so many weird questions...they accepted my visa application. Now the final decision will be determined in Havana. I was so excited and thought they would given me the visa. I wish I could have explained to them that I have nothing against Cuba though my profession say something else. But deep inside my heart...I love their cigars and just want to see it first hand. Ofcourse I couldn't express my true feeling for professional reason. I left the embassy with disappointment but at the same time can't blame them. I hate politics sometime though I am part of it. I just want to go there, learn about their cigars and take pictures for my coffee table book "Old Havana: The Cigar and its Culture".
  • Options
    Ah…finally I got the Cuban visa and now I am free to visit my dream country legally. This is going to be a combination of vintage cigar collection, research and spiritual journey. I have been doing a lot of theoretical research last couple of years on Cuban cigars. Now it is the time to learn and gain through firsthand experience. Also I am closer to continue my work about the book “"Old Habana- cigar and its Culture". YAHOOO!!!.....
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Congrats Rip, that will be an awesome trip.
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    That's great. Congratulations!
  • Options
    musicman3musicman3 Posts: 622
    Sounds fantastic!! I can't wait to hear about it.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    The reviews that will result from this trip are going to be fantastic. I'm very glad that you are going, not only because you will have a bucket list visit, but we are going to get to read your reviews, and they are going to be memorable too. Godspeed and Bon Voyage!
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations rip!!! I cannot wait to hear your stories and see some pictures from your trip. Enjoy it!!
  • Options
    Rock on brother Rip
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    This is just awesome, congrats brother!
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Congrats. Excited to hear your report.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is awesome news Rip!! Keep us posted on when...
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! I hope the trip proves to be as fulfilling as you hope!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America