Home Cigar 101
Options

out of nowhere..

Iv been using a small 20 ct humidor for months now(4 or so) ...all of sudden it will not maintain humidity ...I use a the small round puck with PG solution and distilled water...I tried taking out the puck and putting in 4 ounces of beads ...still not maintaing..... down around 58-60% range the ambient is 52% or so, the humidity meters are all salt tested.....the seal seems ok.. im confused...

Comments

• Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it needs to be reseasoned. You you to do that every once in a while to reactivate it.
  • Options
    jeff_connorsjeff_connors Posts: 483
    Thanks for the reply ! Re season as put in a dish of distilled water? and wait?
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Need more info - do you usually have cigars in it, or is it empty?

If you have it empty, Alex is dead right; but if you usually have it packed with cigars and this happened out of the blue, it may be a problem with your seals
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    tis the season of change, room temperature, humidity, sunlight, fast temp changes, all can affect the seal on a humidor. just like a door I used to have. in the winter it closed and opend just fine, but winter came around and the door jam shifted so the door wouldnt close.
  • Options
    Well I re-seasoned and then but the PG puck back in....nothing still not getting the right humidity... then took out the puck..put in some heart felt beads in a container on the bottom..bam! 70% dead on...problem was the florist foam humidifier...do they not last that long??...Iv been using if for about 5 months...and its clogged or something...anyway ripped the florist foam out...thew in some beads...now everything's peachy keen!
  • Options
    whats with the foam humidifier dying like that?
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    jeff_connors:
    whats with the foam humidifier dying like that?

They suck and are worthless IMHO
  • Options
    kevster77kevster77 Posts: 68
    they do suck. i had the same problem with it. then i figured i'd use a humi pillow and the humidor is set perfectly for the past 5 months.
  • Options
    yeh I just ripped the foam out and replaced it with the heart felt beads....problem solved!