Home Cigar 101
Options

Questions about wrappers

fsufanfsufan Posts: 6
I'm new to cigars, I do not have a humidor yet but I'm in the market for one.  I currently leave in a zip lock with a water pillow. I  am mostly buying cigars locally but did get a Gurhka Park Avenue sampler that I like a lot. Anyway on to the question should i leave the wrappers on or remove them when I put the in a humidor or the zip lock..

Ed

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    short answer: it doesnt matter
  • Options
    Thanks.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    It's an endless debate among us BOTLs...but the the bottom line is its personal preference. I leave mine on, mostly so the cigars don't get chipped or damaged when I handle them.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Long answer: It doesn't matter, but as Luko said, leaving the cellophane on will help prevent chipping and cracking that can occur with handling. Conversely, if you don't handle your cigars often or shuffle through them looking for one in particular, the unwrapped cigars can lend a nice fragrance to your humidor. The choice is yours, you'll figure out what works better for you through trial and error.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    j0z3r:
    Long answer: It doesn't matter, but as Luko said, leaving the cellophane on will help prevent chipping and cracking that can occur with handling. Conversely, if you don't handle your cigars often or shuffle through them looking for one in particular, the unwrapped cigars can lend a nice fragrance to your humidor. The choice is yours, you'll figure out what works better for you through trial and error.

Very well put and I think the handling is really the key here ...
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I think the cigar smell goes right through the cello, could be just me though...
  • Options
    Yeah, but I think it is stronger without the cello.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    keep in the cello to protect the wrapper. At least until you are more comfortable handling the sticks
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    I think the cigar smell goes right through the cello, could be just me though...

You know a squirrels nose is veeeery sensative ....
  • Options
    gmill880:
    phobicsquirrel:

And yet they never manage to smell (or hear) the cars that routinely run them over all across the country. Strange, no?
  • Options
    Thanks to all for there prompt response now i just need to get a humidor, a cutter a lighter, more cigars and I'll be all set.

Ed
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    gmill880:
    phobicsquirrel:

And yet they never manage to smell (or hear) the cars that routinely run them over all across the country. Strange, no?

Aahahaha ...Joe thats funny ...wrong ...but funny ...
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    you are right.

cellophane is very porous.