Home General Discussion
Options

Newb with questions about cigar of the month

So I have been grabbing a few deals lately and have a bigger humidor on its way but I'm looking to add a good variety of other cigars to my collection while I figure out what I like. I'm thinking about the cigar of the month offer here but wanted to get some input from you more experienced smokers.

Ay thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Samplers Sampler Samplers....... Cant go wrong

Or.... you can send me your address ;)
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    You can also work with a rep and tell them what you like and they can create a custom sampler for you.
  • Options
    I've ordered the corona connection, 5 Vegas Gold Maduro Toro, and the 40 cigar Bottomless Cup Sampler yesterday.

I've been smoking Butera and Hoyo De Monterrey Dark Knights depending on my mood. I love the Hoyo but the Butera are nice for a 45 minute smoke on the lighter side of things.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards. The Cigar of the Month Club is fantastic for guys learning what they like. It comes with an information sheet about each of the sticks. It's a good investment to facilitate learning about a variety of sticks.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    skweekz:
    Welcome to the boards. The Cigar of the Month Club is fantastic for guys learning what they like. It comes with an information sheet about each of the sticks. It's a good investment to facilitate learning about a variety of sticks.
    ^ This. Plus you get a discount on other CCOM purchases, making it a little easier on the budget to experiment.
  • Options
    Great, I'll join!

My wife and I collect wine and use an online database to track what we have, good pairings, and tasting notes. Is there anything like that for cigars?

I'm looking at a mostly empty humidor at the moment but I don't plan on it staying that way for long so I'm trying to plan ahead!

Thanks,

Ray

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Raymondh:
    Great, I'll join! My wife and I collect wine and use an online database to track what we have, good pairings, and tasting notes. Is there anything like that for cigars? I'm looking at a mostly empty humidor at the moment but I don't plan on it staying that way for long so I'm trying to plan ahead! Thanks, Ray
    support the locals, check out robbyrasreviews.com and our own ratings and reviews threads at ccom. Also, if you have a wine fridge...it makes for a nice humidor ;)
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I've thought about joining it but...I like to have more then one of each stick!! You can try one rott and one a few months later. Doing this can really help you find what that cigar truly is. There are some really great samplers out there and some are pricey but well worth it!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    skweekz:
    +1
  • Options
    I found the sprint site and just picked up 10 Man O' War Virtue Robusto for $38. Seems like some good deals every once in awhile. I've not had these so I'm looking forward to them!
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Raymondh:
    I found the sprint site and just picked up 10 Man O' War Virtue Robusto for $38. Seems like some good deals every once in awhile. I've not had these so I'm looking forward to them!
    Man, that's a good deal. 4 bucks a stick? Yes please.
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    skweekz:
    Welcome to the boards. The above quote is spot on. I did the COTM for my first year when I got into cigars. It was a great way to introduce myself to cigars that I wouldn't buy otherwise. Plus I found a few that have become my favorites through it.

Check out different samplers as well. I tried the CCOM house sampler and that really introduced me to a bunch of different wrappers, fillers, etc. A couple of those have now become some of my go to sticks at times.

The sprint sale site is AWESOME!! I've gotten a couple of things off of it over the past year or so. It can be really addictive just sitting there watching it. I will warn about you that drinking heavily and going to the site can be hazardous to your pocket book.

Again, welcome and have fun smoking up all the sticks your getting!

Rob
  • Options
    prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums. Another benefit of COTMC is to have a variety of different smokes on hand for friends and BOTL, who may like a different profile than you. I tend towards maduros and noticed some friends rummaging around my humi for something lighter. I joined COTMC just to mix it up a bit.
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Raymondh:
    Great, I'll join! My wife and I collect wine and use an online database to track what we have, good pairings, and tasting notes. Is there anything like that for cigars? I'm looking at a mostly empty humidor at the moment but I don't plan on it staying that way for long so I'm trying to plan ahead! Thanks, Ray
    For an online database, I use----> http://cigargeeks.com/

It's free and easy to use.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    skweekz:
    +1
    and +1 more
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I will wait for a couple months to join the club since I drank heavily and spent waaaay too much money on the sprint site...

I gave my wife a heads up but I'm still totaling the email invoices so I can let her know the extent. Oops! :-)
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Raymondh:
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I will wait for a couple months to join the club since I drank heavily and spent waaaay too much money on the sprint site... I gave my wife a heads up but I'm still totaling the email invoices so I can let her know the extent. Oops! :-)
    ha ha! i do this at least once a month!!