Home Ratings & Reviews

Puros Indios Viejo

JZJZ Posts: 827
I recently purchased a bundle of this cigar after seeing it as the weekend blitz.  I violated a rule I try to follow with purchasing cigars.  It is far better to purchase 1 or 2 great cigars rather than multiple alright or sub standard cigars.  Quality is more important than quantity.  The cigars that arrived were dry (no water pack) and extremely blemished.  I know cigars can have different shades, but typically they are all boxed with the same colors.  The color consistency was terrible.   There are multiple different shades throughout and several of the cigars have different shades on one stick.  I decided to fire up one of the cigars in hopes that the flavor would be atleast bearable but the taste and smell wasnt very good.  I will be attempting to infuse them to improve their flavor, otherwise they will be discarded.  Hopefully no one else made this mistake, and I certainly hope that no one has ever paid the comparison price of $144 per bundle.  (I think the price was inflated for the sale). 

Comments

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that sucks. I'd call the Ccom guys and let them know you aren't happy, I'm sure they will take care of you.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    JZ:
    I recently purchased a bundle of this cigar after seeing it as the weekend blitz.  I violated a rule I try to follow with purchasing cigars.  It is far better to purchase 1 or 2 great cigars rather than multiple alright or sub standard cigars.  Quality is more important than quantity.  The cigars that arrived were dry (no water pack) and extremely blemished.  I know cigars can have different shades, but typically they are all boxed with the same colors.  The color consistency was terrible.   There are multiple different shades throughout and several of the cigars have different shades on one stick.  I decided to fire up one of the cigars in hopes that the flavor would be atleast bearable but the taste and smell wasnt very good.  I will be attempting to infuse them to improve their flavor, otherwise they will be discarded.  Hopefully no one else made this mistake, and I certainly hope that no one has ever paid the comparison price of $144 per bundle.  (I think the price was inflated for the sale). 
    JZ, please give us a call so we can make it right. We canprocess a return and refund you money.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    One thing to note it that Puros Indios cigars are pretty well known for being rough looking and not very pretty. It may all be a matter of opinion, in fact I know it is, but I think they make a decent cigar, I actually thought the Viejo was decent after smoking one on Monday. Different smokes for different folks, as I like to say.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    j0z3r:
    One thing to note it that Puros Indios cigars are pretty well known for being rough looking and not very pretty. It may all be a matter of opinion, in fact I know it is, but I think they make a decent cigar, I actually thought the Viejo was decent after smoking one on Monday. Different smokes for different folks, as I like to say.

Thanks for that Joe. I ordered a couple of these bundles (one of each) last week. I was hoping they may become a good everyday type of smoke. I am starting to organize my smoking times / sticks. I am not always able to sit and smoke so I want a good smoke that I can smoke anytime of the day when I am too busy to sit for an hour or better to enjoy one, but not a $25 ++ stick that really demands to be smoked properly in order to fully enjoy it.
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    Different smokes for different folks couldnt be more accurate!  I recently spoke with customer service about my purchase and was pleasantly pleased.  I will be getting a refund for my purchase and will look to buy a different set of cigars.  I really appreciate how much they care about their customers.  I will no longer do business with any other cigar retailer, Cigar.com will be my only supplier!  They stand behind their product unlike Thompson! 
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    JZ:
    Different smokes for different folks couldnt be more accurate!  I recently spoke with customer service about my purchase and was pleasantly pleased.  I will be getting a refund for my purchase and will look to buy a different set of cigars.  I really appreciate how much they care about their customers.  I will no longer do business with any other cigar retailer, Cigar.com will be my only supplier!  They stand behind their product unlike Thompson! 
    I have yet to hear anything good about Thompson. Everybody I talk to has a negative opinion of them. Bottomline, Ccom is the best around.
  • ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
    That is awesome.  There is no question this is the place to buy cigars...no question...
    Thompson is terrible.  They take forever to send out your cigars, in fact they come so dry I think they hold on to them longer so they can dry out more!  This is definetly the place to make your purchases!
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    JZ:
    They are a great group of guys, they've built their rep on their customer service. You can almost always find the cigars they sell here cheaper elsewhere but you'll never get this kind of service.

On another note, I said this before but I have to strongly disagree with j0zer. I know different smokes for different folks BUT I've never had a Puros Indios that I would even say was a well constructed smoke or had typical cigar flavors aside from harshness and chemical flavors.
    JZ:
    Thompson is terrible.  They take forever to send out your cigars, in fact they come so dry I think they hold on to them longer so they can dry out more!  This is definetly the place to make your purchases!
    T is garbage, and they won't stop sending me thier stupid catalogs. Glad to hear Ccom made another customer! I made an order over the weekend, bought Saturday daily deal RP Vintage 90 and also bought the RP Perfect 10 sampler for $25...even though it doesn't usually qualify for free shipping like a double order of the DDeals do, they still gave me free shipping...AWESOME...it amazes me how other companies out there don't follow the simple concept Ccom has...treat your customers good and they will keep coming back.

"Long ashes my friends."

madurofan:
    JZ:
    They are a great group of guys, they've built their rep on their customer service. You can almost always find the cigars they sell here cheaper elsewhere but you'll never get this kind of service.

On another note, I said this before but I have to strongly disagree with j0zer. I know different smokes for different folks BUT I've never had a Puros Indios that I would even say was a well constructed smoke or had typical cigar flavors aside from harshness and chemical flavors.
    Yeah...but you're a Rocky Patel fan, so...:)
    nothing wrong w/ Rocky Patel...

"Long ashes my friends."

j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    JZ:

Lets not get started on taste here ... you live in California.
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    JZ:

I was born here...were you born with a Rocky Vintage 1992 in your mouth? lol...you know I'm messing, but seriously I don't think Puros Indios is that bad....I'm not saying they're great, because I don't think they are, but I've had Gurkhas and Rockys that I like much, much less.
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    JZ:

I was born here...were you born with a Rocky Vintage 1992 in your mouth? lol...you know I'm messing, but seriously I don't think Puros Indios is that bad....I'm not saying they're great, because I don't think they are, but I've had Gurkhas and Rockys that I like much, much less.
    You know I'm just messing too. Its just evey Reyes family product I've had has had the chemical flavor to it.
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    JZ:

You know I'm just messing too. Its just evey Reyes family product I've had has had the chemical flavor to it.
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    JZ:

madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    JZ:

Well, I won't argue you on your tastes, those are yours and yours alone. Heck, I'd even agree with you as far as the mention of harshness with PI cigars, but I haven't picked up a chemical taste. You know what that means...I need to smoke a bunch of Puros Indios and try my damnedest to get a chemical taste. :)
    I've had a couple of these so far. I got the weekend blitz a couple weeks back. The first one was too fresh to judge, but the second one I had was pretty good. Not gonna write any rave reviews about them or anything but they were OK for the price.
    I had the Natural wrapper corona. Has anyone tried these in the Maduro's? My order went flunky and I ended up with two bundles of Naturals instead of a bundle of each. :(
  • j0z3r:
    Case in point my friends, case and point!
    johnnywalkerblue:
    j0z3r:
    Well I burned thru the 2 bundles I had of these, both the natural wrappers, and I thought they were a decent stick. For the price I picked them up at with the Weekend Special deal, they were a great deal. Not going to write any glowing reviews of them... but I will be buying more, I know that.
    So I guess I agree with cheese ***, ooops, I mean Joz3r
    laker1963:
    johnnywalkerblue:
    j0z3r:
    Well I burned thru the 2 bundles I had of these, both the natural wrappers, and I thought they were a decent stick. For the price I picked them up at with the Weekend Special deal, they were a great deal. Not going to write any glowing reviews of them... but I will be buying more, I know that.
    Really? I thought they tasted like kitty litter...don't ask me how I know that. ;)

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    laker1963:
    johnnywalkerblue:
    j0z3r:
    Really? I thought they tasted like kitty litter...don't ask me how I know that. ;)

Yup. But I guess this just shows different people's tastes. Your's seem to be more like "Johnnywalkerblueballs" and mine seem more like Joz3r's. At least in the case of this stick.
    I did say I wasn't writing any rave reviews about them... but theywere decent.
    Also I like to try different sticks before I hear "too much" about them. I don't like to be influenced by other people opinions, and that goes for everything in life, not just cigars.
    "johnnywalkerblueballs", now that was funny! LOL

"Long ashes my friends."

• Interesting comments, I just ordered my 3rd bundle of these (natural, Toro). I've really come to like them as an inexpensive everyday smoke. They are certianly not to be compared to an RP Sungrown or Gurkha Beauty but then that's not what they are aimed at. Fir a $2 cigar I think they are a-okay. In the bundles I've had so far I have noticed slight variations of color and I've had one that was a bit tighter draw than the rest. But over all I like the blend.
    I shutter when I see the Puros for $7 to $9 at a B & M. My bundle that I returned had some many color variations it looked camouflage!