Home General Discussion
Options

Cigars and Stomachs

We've all read (or learned from first hand experience) that it is always best to smoke a cigar, especially a fuller bodied cigar after some sort of meal to avoid any sickness from the overpowering smoke. I have also noticed that even on a full stomach I feel hungry after a good cigar. I have literally been uncomfortably full to the point I wanted to just lay down (usually after Mexican or a Chinese buffet) but instead went out for a smoke and an hour later felt as if my stomach was empty again. I have also thought I was full enough for a good smoke but then felt a little queezy afterwords.

What is it about tobacco that has a direct relation to our stomachs?

Comments

• Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    0 That Guy 0:
    We've all read (or learned from first hand experience) that it is always best to smoke a cigar, especially a fuller bodied cigar after some sort of meal to avoid any sickness from the overpowering smoke. I have also noticed that even on a full stomach I feel hungry after a good cigar. I have literally been uncomfortably full to the point I wanted to just lay down (usually after Mexican or a Chinese buffet) but instead went out for a smoke and an hour later felt as if my stomach was empty again. I have also thought I was full enough for a good smoke but then felt a little queezy afterwords.

What is it about tobacco that has a direct relation to our stomachs?

I don't know. Nicotine is generally thought to curb appetite, not increase it. It may have something to do with the adrenaline release when using tobacco though. Nicotine triggers adrenaline release, and also raises your metabolism, thereby actually burning calories. Not that I'm endorsing smoking as a diet craze! haha.

I do agree with you though. I always feel better after a smoke.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    No idea, but eating after a cigar cuts down on cigar mouth dramatically.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's the Chinese buffet. Why would you do that to yourself???
  • Options
    0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    I can't get enough of the stuff ;)
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I swear my wife could alternate between Japenese and Chinese food daily and be as happy as heck the rest of her life. Its always her first choice ...no she's not oriental either ...but dang too much of a good thing ...
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I think alot of why you feel better after smoking has more to do with the fact that you are relaxing for an hour or more after eating than it does with the actual smoke. Think about when you eat too much and are uncomfortable. If you go veg out on the couch for a while, let some of the food digest and process, you tend to feel better.

As far as the queaziness, I don't think that is entirely the nicotine either. It has to be a combination of different factors. The worst a cigar has ever affected me was a RP Rosado robusto I smoked a while back. After I finished it, I got up and went to my computer. All of a sudden, I broke out in a cold sweat and came close to vomitting. I have smoked a few since then, even the toros (which are monsters) and never came close to feeling like that since. It was just a combination of different things that night I believe.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I was just thinking....if you ate slow enough at a Chinese buffet, theoretically, you'd never get full...

Just food for thought.
  • Options
    handypantzhandypantz Posts: 86
    In theory......Communism works.
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Drink lots of water during and after smoking. Most hunger pains come from dehydration, not being hungry.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    handypantz:
    nice

tobacco speeds up the metabolism. way back in the day in old folks homes if people were "stopped up" they would tell them to eat a light breakfast drink some coffee and smoke a cigarette or two as a very mild laxative.

im gunna see if i can link that reference for you. i know i read it somewhere.
  • Options
    jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    Meh, I regularly have a smoke on an empty stomach and don't have a problem. As long as I'm not eating or drinking anything to alter the taste of the cigar too much I'm happy.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    jlzimmerman:
    Meh, I regularly have a smoke on an empty stomach and don't have a problem. As long as I'm not eating or drinking anything to alter the taste of the cigar too much I'm happy.

Me too. I smoke what I feel like smoking without consideration to what time of day or what I have eaten. I have got the Hic-ups for a few minutes a couple of times, ... but that's it.
  • Options
    I usually enjoy a cigar late at night after my wife and kids have gone to bed and I've only once had a bad experience, mine also was with an RP stick. I got about half way through and I was really dizzy and nauseated. Otherwise from teeing off at 6:30am to mid afternoon or late at night I usually don't have any ill effects....that is unless you count all the dirty looks from other parents at the park where I take my kids to play. Kinda like Marla Singer's smoking at the TB support group in "Fight Club"....it just doesn't go over well there.
  • Options
    jeff_connorsjeff_connors Posts: 483
    Sometimes I get really bad acid reflux and belching fits..sometimes...anyone know what that's all about?
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Its probably that you have acid reflux and you are swallowing a bit of smoke and saliva that is coated in the smoke and that is aggrivating your GI Reflux.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    the act of putting somthing to your mouth, and the sensation of smoke in your mouth along with the flavor causes your body to react by increasing production of stomach acid. also I think nicotine does this. its the same as chewing gum. I always got hungry when I chewed gum, my stomach would get ready to digest somthing and there was nothing there.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    jlzimmerman:

Me too. I smoke what I feel like smoking without consideration to what time of day or what I have eaten. I have got the Hic-ups for a few minutes a couple of times, ... but that's it.
    I am in this boat too, I smoke in the morning before or going to work and I am bad about eating breakfast. No problems with it. Though I don't smoke a full body kick your ass smoke either...
  • Options
    jihiggs:
    the act of putting somthing to your mouth, and the sensation of smoke in your mouth along with the flavor causes your body to react by increasing production of stomach acid. also I think nicotine does this. its the same as chewing gum. I always got hungry when I chewed gum, my stomach would get ready to digest somthing and there was nothing there.
    It's taking a lot not to comment on that first part.... =)
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    jlzimmerman:

I am pretty much the same, but then again I smoked about a pack and a half of cigarettes a day for the past 14-15 years before I quit, so my body is pretty used to nicotine. The only time I have ever felt queasy at all was that one Rosado I had. It iis actually hard for me to differentiate between mild-medium up to medium-full. I can tell when something is mild, when something is very strong, and then there is everything else in the middle, lol.
  • Options
    adamkhaliladamkhalil Posts: 80
    I think i'm stealing some knowledge i picked up from Kuzi, but some sugar on the back of your tongue works wonders to get rid of that queazy feeling after a heavy smoke!
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I am gonna have to remember that sugar trick, I got queazy one time after smoking a RP Olde World Reserve on an empty stomach...bad mistake...didn't even realize i hadn't eaten anything till after I felt bad...lesson learned.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    I tried the sugar trick last night after a Churchill SCCC. It didn't take much, and in a matter of seconds I felt TONS better. I love that tip, I'm gonna pass it on.
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    jeff_connors:
    Sometimes I get really bad acid reflux and belching fits..sometimes...anyone know what that's all about?
    I have horrible acid reflux. The three worst things for it is nicotine, alcohol, and caffine. Needless to say, I was going to have to figure something out. The doctor perscribed nexium (purple pill) and I take a zantac 150 (generic works just as well) at night before bed. I only get a problem once a month now instead of everyday. Try it out and I bet you'll be a new man.
  • Options
    FairwindFairwind Posts: 41
    The sickness is from nicotine poisioning. I normally get it when I chew on my cigar. I leave the cigar in my mouth like a cigarette while I'm doing paperwork and in doing so I'm swallowing the nicotine. never happens when I'm smoking it in a normal manner.

When it happens you kick yourself for doing it again. It totally sucks.

http://www.righthealth.com/topic/Nicotine_Poisoning/overview/wiki_detailed?modp=Nicotine_poisoning#Symptoms

Dan
  • Options
    mcso22mcso22 Posts: 10
    undulac:
    jeff_connors:
    I have horrible acid reflux. The three worst things for it is nicotine, alcohol, and caffine. Needless to say, I was going to have to figure something out. The doctor perscribed nexium (purple pill) and I take a zantac 150 (generic works just as well) at night before bed. I only get a problem once a month now instead of everyday. Try it out and I bet you'll be a new man.
    I have really bad acid reflux and ulcers and I used to take Zantac until I was taking about 600 milligrams a day. The doctor advised me to give Prilosec 1 a day and after about a week I have had no more trouble at all. I wish I had known how well it worked years ago, just a little FYI for chronic reflux sufferers out there.
  • Options
    Is it just me or are a never ending supply of pills just making things worse? My father has rheumatoid arthritis and they have screwed him up a few times by juggle dosages... My mother has another form of arthritis and the meds they had her on blew up her BP so when she said she wasn't taking it any longer they wanted to up the dosage as the previous dose wasn't working, on top of that she had to take BP pills. She said F it and started taking some natural stuff and tea and now her BP is down and her arthritis is much better.
  • Options
    0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    As Chris Rock once said - "You mean to tell me we can send a space ship to the moon but we can't build an Eldorado with a bumper that doesn't fall off!" It speaks on many levels.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    handypantz:
    and monogamy.
  • Options
    jeff_connorsjeff_connors Posts: 483
    yeh i guess eating thumbs like pez isn't gonna cut it anymore....HA! oh and fresh lemon and lime work pretty well, not heavy duty but if your every in a bind
  • Options
    WafflebobWafflebob Posts: 118
    Caffeine increases appetite as well so keep in mind that if you drink soda, tea or coffee after eating that will affect you as well. Although I know many people dont like to drink anything strong with their cigars.