Home General Discussion
Options

Xikar VS Lotus...Opinions?

Hey guys,
  So my girlfriend spilled the beans last night that she bought me a Xikar EX II carbon fiber lighter for my birthday next month.  Now, This is awesome because well...I love carbon fiber.  However, after looking into the lighters details I discovered its a soft flame.  I have never used a soft flame lighter for cigars and im not sure Im going to like it.  I Really liked my Xikar executive torch until it crapped out. One of the things I liked about it is I could easily aim and see where I was heating the cigar and very evenly toast the foot. Could you offer me some opinions on soft flame lighters for cigar use? 
Also, I really like some of the designs of Lotus lighters, but I would like to read some reviews or input on their quality versus Xikar.  One concern with the Lotus lighters also is that they only have a 2 year warranty.
Any Input is appreciated!  Thanx guys!

-Steven S.

Comments

• Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I have a NIBO triple jet = runs out after about 2 cigar lights
    and basically an old 'crack' single torch I found at a convenience store a few years ago.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    This is kinda off topic, but you said your executive crapped out on you? Have you contacted Xikar about replacing it? They have the best product replacement coverage I have ever seen, the only company I can think of that is close is Craftsman tools.
  • Options
    Stew3223Stew3223 Posts: 15
    Yes, Ill probably send it in and use it as a backup or give it to one of my buddies. Though it worked just fine, the quality is not the highest; the chrome on the button looks cheap, there is slop in the button, and the finish is worn off in several places. I would like something a little nicer though, and since the gift is being given, I am accepting...I just want to find the right lighter if my girlfriend is going to be spending around the $100 mark.

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I haven't had a Lotus, so I can't offer an opinion. I can, however, offer an opinion on the Xikar because I recently purchased a Xikar Exodus of my own. It is a soft flame lighter, but it's nothing like a bic lighter with a weak flame, it has a very stout and thick flame to it and it toasts the cigar perfectly with some good rotation...I also think you are less prone to scorching with a soft flame. Truth be told, I prefer a soft flame to a torch but haven't yet found a good soft-flame lighter, well now I have and I doubt I'll use anything else...though a torch will come in handy for any touch-ups needed.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    soft flame isnt that bad. many of the guys that i respect greatly down at the B&M that i go to only use soft flame.

ive never had a lotus lighter. so... cant tell ya much about that.
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    I have a Xikar soft flame and love it. It evenly toasts and lights well. Also the fuel lasts a lot longer than a torch.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I think I have the same lighter as you Leonard...filled it Monday and have used it every day since on two cigars each day, it only sputtered a bit as I did a final burn correction today. With my torch I was filling it every other day.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    You should have a soft flame as well as a torch. If you send that Executive back they'll like send you a new one. They finish is warrantied as well. If given the oppurtunity MOST smokers would use a soft flame especially indoors. Your likelihood of over cooking a cigar is less with a soft flame. And they are just more classy which is what seems is important to you with the new lighter. Once you get your executive back you'll have a good torch for outside everyday use and the soft flame for those times when somethign classier is in order.

As far as the lotus goes I've never used one so I can't comment but I've never heard anything bad about them.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I seem to always seem to have problems lighting a cigar outside, have a jet flame and can never see it. I usually light it inside then take it outside. One thing about Xikar, wish they'd make bigger tanks in the lighters (maybe mine is the exception).
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    My local lounge just put out the alec bradly tabletop lighter for use. I really like it and might be a good soft flame option for you.

• Options
    Stew3223Stew3223 Posts: 15
    Thanx for the input guys!  Now im all excited for it to come in the mail.  If I werent so inundated with summer courses and two jobs I'd probably have sent the executive in already! Im liking the idea of having the both a torch and a soft flame as lighting options.  Now all I need is the matching carbon fiber cutter!

-Steven
  • Options
    MsterScottMsterScott Posts: 1

Know this is old, but first result in my search. FYI, Xikar has changed their warranty. For as long as I've had Xikars, when one quit working you simply take it back to your store/dealer and they replaced it. Now you have to pay to ship it back yourself. I bought two Lotus lighters today because they were recommended by my cigar store and have the same warranty that Xikar had. FWIW.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd rather have one that is reliable and doesn't need constant swapping. Just give me a vertigo and a box of cigars for that hundred bucks....

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flic your Bic FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait...you mean you guys don’t use cedar spills???

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I light mine in the toaster.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

I light all my cigars with sunlight and a magnifying glass