Home General Discussion

Q on Samplers

ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
I hope it's ok to post this here. If not, let me know etiquitte. I'm looking on recomendations for samplers. I'm a total newb (about 6 cigars in) but I think I prefer med / full and have been thinking of going with a 5 Vegas. Is there something out there I should really go after? Also, I guess I came here a little late but I hear a lot of non-love for Gurkha (after i baught a 12 cigar sampler). Whats wrong with them? Also, I've been thinking I should find something I really like and but a full box, is this a waste? Would you usually suggest keeping a bunch of different brands to mix thing up vs. going for boxes of one type? Again, sorry for the basic questions, I just dont like wasting money learning the wrong way.

Comments

• TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    my suggestion is that you call ccom and talk to andy and have him set you up with the cigar of the month club. It comes with a great write up about the sticks you get, and you really get some great sticks. Call him up!
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think 5 Vegas is a great place to start. They are solid cigars for pretty cheap (you should watch cigar sprint sale for them even cheaper!) Even though they are affordable they are a great smoke that I still enjoy often ( love the A and Miami)

I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy a box. For me, I may like a cigar a lot, but even that doesn't mean I want 25 of em! Especially with samplers,you can get a good discount, so the price savings when buying a box is negligible.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    I am still very newbish compared to most of the fine fellows here. That being said, samplers are a great way to learn. As you start you will find yourself getting things you really like... and things you don't. My suggestion is to join cigar of the month club for a few months, they will send you stuff you won't even think of. Also, when going through cigar.com, call them to place orders. They are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Always full of suggestions on new sticks you might like or might want to try based on other things you like. If you find something you really like, by all means, buy a box. I know I keep about a half box of a couple of my favorites on hand, so that I always know there is something I like in my humidor... and something I know is good for handing out to friends at a get together.

My two cents? Jump in, buy things that sound good. Looking at the ratings and review forum and see if some of that sounds like something you would like. You may end up getting something you don't like.... but right below that review forum is a trade forum, and you can find someone who may love what you don't.

On a completely unrelated note.... you now have a PM.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Two great suggestions above mine and the only thing I will add is to become involved in Trades, Passes, and bombs. That is one way to get stuff that isnt available in your area. The majority of what is in my humi right now came from participating in this forum's "extracurricular activities." Good luck and reinforce your mailbox now!
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input! I've already set up a trade so I can (Hopefully) get on the good traders list. It seems most of the passes require this. I tried calling onother on line retailer and they guy on the other end started the hard-sell which really turned me off. I may have geotten a little punch drunk because of that. Really not a fan of pushy sales coupled with inexperience on my part. I've visited a couple B&M's (Thanks Cigar 101 forum!) in my area and some have been very helpfull but prices can be pretty brutal. I've thought about taking their advise and coming here to purchase but that kinda feels like I'm taking advantage without giving back, ya know?
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    When it comes to taste everyone is different. Starting out is always tough since its hard to justify spending a good amount on one stick. Finding what you preffer is all trial and error!! Yes there are a lot of Gurkha haters lol I happen to be one of them...reasons for it is well they just are not great and if you look at the msrp you might need a diaper!! But the same goes with graycliff IMO. Honestly I would start in the mid grade of prices...the $5-$7 sticks and work your way up or down. A great sampler I thought is the liegro track pack!! Not sure if they still have it though. I always will but samplers with at least 2 of each stick so you can try one as soon as it comes and another down the road to see how it rounds out. Some sticks are pretty bad rott but 9 months down the line is a world of difference and might not have you write off that stick immediately. But good luck and enjoy experimenting!!!!!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Samplers are a great way to try new sticks that you may have been hesitant to pull the trigger on. COTM is a great deal since you can end up with an old favorite right beside a new release that your B&M just sold out of before you could snag one.
    Like Doc M. said, if you get one(or 12...)that you don't like just ask around. One of the other members may love what you loath. As for setting up trades, don't worry my son, ol' Dad here will hook you up with my patented Fatal Buggery sampler!! ;)
    Can't wait Toombes! I just hope my meager offering doesn't turn your taste buds.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I started about a year ago and still dont buy boxes....... I just keep trying new sampler stuff...... what I found in a year is that my taste has changed (a lot and often) Try and enjoy all the differences. Oh, and really important, KEEP NOTES on what you thought either as you smoke or immediately after. That has helped me a lot.

Welcome to the forums BTW !!

EDIT:
    OH I FORGOT TOO...... SIZE MATTERS! TRY DIFFERENT SIZES TO SEE WHAT FEELS AND TASTES BEST TO YOU.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to be one that didn't like Gurkhas. But I've recently been trying out more of their blends and have fallen in love with quite a few. Vintage 2001,Ancient Warrior, Centurian, Blue Steel, and SpecOps are great IMO. Samplers are a great way to figure out what you really like.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    ehehat:
    Can't wait Toombes! I just hope my meager offering doesn't turn your taste buds.

I'm sure your selection will be fine, brother. Are your insurance premiums paid up?
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I honestly think the cigar.com custom sampler is the best deal going out there. Ten cigars for $39. A lot of them are highly rated stuff. I've found both cigars I love and those I hate on it. These are some I've ordered and tried: 1. Joya de Nic Antono Dk Corojo (liked a lot) 2. Joya de Nic Antono (not as good as the first one I tried. Got to try another one) 3. Rocky Patel Decade Toro (very nice) 4. Oliva Series O Torpedo (hated it--and I don't know why) 5. Liga Undercrown Gran Toro (love it!) 6. La Perla Habana Morado Robusto (Love it!) 7. Gurkha Widow Makier Churchill (This is a $50 cigar? Mediocre, at best) 8. HC Series Habano Maduto (really great!) 9. Genesis The Project Robusto (Nice, but I thought it would be a lot better) 10. La Aroma De Cuba Immensa (knocked my socks off--my current favorite) 11. Gran Habano 3 Siglos (hated it!) 12. 5 Vegas Cash Strength (Excellent!)
    Toombes:
    ehehat:

I'm sure your selection will be fine, brother. Are your insurance premiums paid up?
    I did run out and get a reinforced concrete mailbox and an asbestos suit....just in case.
    raisindot:
    I honestly think the cigar.com custom sampler is the best deal going out there. Ten cigars for $39. A lot of them are highly rated stuff. I've found both cigars I love and those I hate on it. These are some I've ordered and tried: 1. Joya de Nic Antono Dk Corojo (liked a lot) 2. Joya de Nic Antono (not as good as the first one I tried. Got to try another one) 3. Rocky Patel Decade Toro (very nice) 4. Oliva Series O Torpedo (hated it--and I don't know why) 5. Liga Undercrown Gran Toro (love it!) 6. La Perla Habana Morado Robusto (Love it!) 7. Gurkha Widow Makier Churchill (This is a $50 cigar? Mediocre, at best) 8. HC Series Habano Maduto (really great!) 9. Genesis The Project Robusto (Nice, but I thought it would be a lot better) 10. La Aroma De Cuba Immensa (knocked my socks off--my current favorite) 11. Gran Habano 3 Siglos (hated it!) 12. 5 Vegas Cash Strength (Excellent!)
    Thanks raisindot, this is a list I'll have to look into!