Home General Discussion

santa has lost his pipe

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
In a bid to protect society from itself, it seems that some have found it necessary to stricken any mention of a pipe from a classic Christmas tale.
Night Before Christmas story changed
Has our society become so screwed up that it is necessary to modify/remove any references to things that the "politically correct" enforcers deem inappropriate? Censoring for the sake of removing a part of how society is/was, should never be acceptable.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    Why stop there? Get rid of Sherlok Holmes Pipe while we are at it...
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ridiculous... I hope no one buys that new chopped up version. I asked my wife, who will be a special ed. Elementary teacher, what she thought, and she would teach the original version in a second. The "modern" version is most definitely censorship, twisted from what the author intended, and ignores the perspective and culture the author was attempting to instill in the reader by the mention of a pipe. Authors typically do not include words in books or poems if they do not mean them to be there. That line was as important as any other, in my opinion.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaterDemon:
    Gandalf too, that old, smoking, unhealthy ***
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    WaterDemon:
    To be fair, many modern interpretations of Holmes gloss over or avoid mention of his cocaine usage.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    WaterDemon:
    To be fair, many modern interpretations of Holmes gloss over or avoid mention of his cocaine usage.
    But the actual book remains the same. They haven't butchered the actual novel yet.
    Nor have they actually banned it, as they've done to Tom Sawyer, because of politically incorrect references.

It's absurd that, as a society, there are those people who see it necessary to remove all of those references that they find offensive and force their beliefs on the rest of us.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    0patience:
    jthanatos:
    WaterDemon:
    But the actual book remains the same. They haven't butchered the actual novel yet.
    Nor have they actually banned it, as they've done to Tom Sawyer, because of politically incorrect references.

It's absurd that, as a society, there are those people who see it necessary to remove all of those references that they find offensive and force their beliefs on the rest of us.
    Oh don't get me wrong, this cutting of an original work is really asinine. That said, it is one publisher making a choice one how it publishes, no different than making an abridged work. And the public is already voting with their wallets to say this is not an edition they would want.

Moral of the story, publisher sucks, but the outrage and indignation of those that reply to this leaves my faith in the world intact.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    I wake up every day trying not to hate what this country has become.......
    pross:
    I wake up every day trying not to hate what this country has become.......
    If it makes you feel any better, it was a Canadian publisher that did the revision and the American Library Association that complained about the change.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    A little bit, actually. We're not the only idiots apparently.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Frosty'd better hide his corncob pipe or all he'll be left with is a button nose and two eyes made out of coal. Oh wait, better get coal out of there, it's dirty, replace it with something "green"...while we're at it let's double-check that button nose and make sure it's fair trade, wouldn't want some kid in a sweatshop (putting food on his family's table) making Frosty's nose!!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.