Home General Discussion

When sending a package

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
Although this may seem pretty obvious to some of us I feel the need that some people should know it if they don't!! If you are trading,pif or bombing someone please make sure you send the cigars as you would have liked to receive them. This means properly bagged and packaged with some kind of packaging material. Nobody want to open a box and see loose cigars that have been crack from getting tossed around...plus they are probably pretty dried out by the time the person receives them. Pretty much they are just fancy pieces of garbage!! Even a raji or zodian should be treated right!! Next is please use first class or priority mail...this makes sure your sticks are not exposed to long to what ever Mother Nature like to throw at us. If needed a dc# would be nice unless its a bomb lol. Although I'm not a high member of the boards I'm figuring that they will feel the same way. Thanks for reading and have a nice day
Money can't buy taste

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Although this may seem pretty obvious to some of us I feel the need that some people should know it if they don't!! If you are trading,pif or bombing someone please make sure you send the cigars as you would have liked to receive them. This means properly bagged and packaged with some kind of packaging material. Nobody want to open a box and see loose cigars that have been crack from getting tossed around...plus they are probably pretty dried out by the time the person receives them. Pretty much they are just fancy pieces of garbage!! Even a raji or zodian should be treated right!! Next is please use first class or priority mail...this makes sure your sticks are not exposed to long to what ever Mother Nature like to throw at us. If needed a dc# would be nice unless its a bomb lol. Although I'm not a high member of the boards I'm figuring that they will feel the same way. Thanks for reading and have a nice day
    I agree with all this Lee. Hate to say it, but I was a nooblet the first few I sent..sorry to anyone that got bad cigars!
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is true. Even with the best packaging and priority mail, you can still receive a stick that looks like it's been stepped on. Happened to me. Opened a bomb in Idaho, bubble wrapped, double bagged, pillowed and everything -- had one cello torn off and the stick split.

What you gonna do? Best solution I've found is, the local B&M sells empty cigar boxes for a buck a piece. A normal cigar box fits just right in a padded priority envelope. I sent a bomb to Henderson Nevada yesterday morning packed like that, nice looking Perdomo Lot 23 box. Let them posties throw it all around and drop it and put it under a big stack of engine parts ... it's still going to arrive intact. I've sent three like this and no complaints. Plus, then the bombee on the other end gets a decorative box out of it. Useful either as a humidor in the home office or for oddball plumbing parts in the garage.

The new economy needs a network of pneumatic capsule pipelines -- you know, like those tubes down at the bank where I slip my deposit in and shoot it off to the drive through teller. Used to have them in department stores. We need big ones to bring us all our stuff from Amazon. Drop a bomb in here and WHOOSH it arrives there.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Proper packaging is very important. I've seen so many awesome cigars destroyed from improper packaging, usually during passes where cigars are in the mail for weeks or months on end. It's so sad to see a super premium in chips all through the bottom of the bag.

One thing I will add to the discussion is humi pillows. They are great to add to the cigar bag, sometimes. If they are over-filled then they may explode and get sticky goo all over the cigars. I've suffered from this on many occasions and it's disgusting on cigars wrapped in cello, it may ruin a cigar that is naked. And during the winter humi pillows aren't necessary. It gets into the 20s at night here so I've already made the switch to not including humi pillows in my packages I send. With a good sealed bag they will be just fine on a short, one-way trip.

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I quit using pillows for the most part, unless the ride is long or the contents extremely expensive. I've had more issues with pillows busting then issues of sending without them. I agree on teh packaging, and always try and bubble wrap like crazy. I hate using the $6 boxes from USPS...and only do when I have to.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    Proper packaging is very important. I've seen so many awesome cigars destroyed from improper packaging, usually during passes where cigars are in the mail for weeks or months on end. It's so sad to see a super premium in chips all through the bottom of the bag.

One thing I will add to the discussion is humi pillows. They are great to add to the cigar bag, sometimes. If they are over-filled then they may explode and get sticky goo all over the cigars. I've suffered from this on many occasions and it's disgusting on cigars wrapped in cello, it may ruin a cigar that is naked. And during the winter humi pillows aren't necessary. It gets into the 20s at night here so I've already made the switch to not including humi pillows in my packages I send. With a good sealed bag they will be just fine on a short, one-way trip.

My two cents, I think humi pillows are needed more in the winter than in the summer Air is usually drier in the winter.. During the summer with temps soaring in various parts of the country I hardly ever put a humi pillow in. and in most cases the sticks are delivered in 2 to 3 days if sent priority /first class. I tend to use the pillows when I can in the fall, winter, and spring as good measure and one never knows when usps will misdirect one. , Yes put the sticks in a ziplock baggie of some sort and please surround with air pillows bubble wrapp. I usually do a brief shake test, to make sure theres nuthing floppin around. But yea just a few droplets of water will charge those humi care pillows.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    bigharpoon:

My two cents, I think humi pillows are needed more in the winter than in the summer Air is usually drier in the winter.. During the summer with temps soaring in various parts of the country I hardly ever put a humi pillow in. and in most cases the sticks are delivered in 2 to 3 days if sent priority /first class. I tend to use the pillows when I can in the fall, winter, and spring as good measure and one never knows when usps will misdirect one. , Yes put the sticks in a ziplock baggie of some sort and please surround with air pillows bubble wrapp. I usually do a brief shake test, to make sure theres nuthing floppin around. But yea just a few droplets of water will charge those humi care pillows.
    +1 to what Rudy just said. On, a side note, I feel fat today :(
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    bigharpoon:

I like to use the small boveda humidipaks instead of water pillows, less worry about explosions and the like, plus they are easy to toss in a travel humi for longer term travel storage. Though, I will be the first to admit I am not the best packer of cigars.
    jliu:
    On, a side note, I feel fat today :(
    i just had a donut....mmmmmmmm
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Agree, I always try to package the best I can. I only put the water pillows sometimes depending on cigars. I actually hate to put them in cause I've had 2 packages that I sent bust and I've got one with a busted one, completely ruining cigars!!
    zeebra:
    Agree, I always try to package the best I can. I only put the water pillows sometimes depending on cigars. I actually hate to put them in cause I've had 2 packages that I sent bust and I've got one with a busted one, completely ruining cigars!!
    im a double bagger when I use one, problem solved. I actually have a blown up one at home. I'll post pics for reference if I can find it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I've definitely been on the sending end of this and luckily the receiver has said something to educate me. Now, I don't typically use a pillow but if I do, I try bag that up as well like Catfish indicated above.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    One ziplock holds the cigars and is sealed. That ziplock goes inside another that holds the humipak and is sealed.

When I ship overseas or expect a long delivery time I use tupperware and the boveda packs, NEVER a humipillow. Expensive packages get humipaks, if I have them. Sometimes I just plain run out and do the double bag. If you save the shipping bubbles from what you get you should have a lot around. Also a roll of shipping bubbles at walmart is cheap.

Best advice I can give to save on shipping.

Go to Walmart in the home office section and buy boxes there. They cost 60 cents or so. Tough as heck boxes. Not the standard cheap thin ones. They have many sizes. Tape the bottom like you mean it, inside and out. Tape the top of the box over a whole flap. Then type or write the address on a piece of paper and tape it over that tape. Then the next person can reuse the box by just tearing the tape over the addy and taking the addy off. Put next addy on the same way and keep going. Shipping first class with DC is $3-$10 (depending on weight). Also with a larger box than small flat rate you have much less a chance of squish issues.
    Thanks for the heads up Marker, I'll check out those boxes for sure, that will save $$$. Also, I hit office max for tape and price match them...can get it for $1 a roll.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    So... I shouldn't have put the brick and handful of gravel in the package I just sent out today? Dammit!!
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    So... I shouldn't have put the brick and handful of gravel in the package I just sent out today? Dammit!!
    Wow what was the shipping cost on that lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....... also, you should leave a letter in there saying, "lookie here USPS worker person, if you dare take any of this sh*t I will hunt you down and pour liquid habanero peppers in your eyeballs and put out a lit NUB on your tongue. Now close this sh*t back up and stop f*cking with people's mail. Thank you"
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    ....... also, you should leave a letter in there saying, "lookie here USPS worker person, if you dare take any of this sh*t I will hunt you down and pour liquid habanero peppers in your eyeballs and put out a lit NUB on your tongue. Now close this sh*t back up and stop f*cking with people's mail. Thank you"
    Yeah what happened to you really sucks!! I'd do something about it but the problem is USPS is out sourcing in a lot of areas so it's people they don't know **** about handling your mail
    Money can't buy taste
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Toombes:
    Wow what was the shipping cost on that lol

$6.10 for flat-rate!
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Live and learn.