Home Cigar 101

How do I know when my humidor is done seasoning?

MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
Hey, I've been doing the evaporation method (letting a shotglass sit in the humidor) for about 2 days now. How will I know when its done seasoning?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the humidity will be at 70+ % for more than 24 hours.

i recommend putting beads in there to get it back down to where you wanna keep your cigars before actually adding sticks.
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    How long does this generally take? I've had a small bowl of water for about 3 days and it's reading 55 or so.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    You may need to check the seal on your humidor. Use a vessel with as wide an opening as possible, more surface area for the water to evaporate. Also, make sure you are using distilled water and not tap water. Kuzi is correct about the beads. If you are going to continue this beads are the best investment and easier to maintain.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    MAJORdorMo:
    How long does this generally take? I've had a small bowl of water for about 3 days and it's reading 55 or so.
    id depends on many factors. i use wide low dishes to promote more evaporation. my last humi took about 36 hours from out of the box to cigars in.
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    I removed the water and my humidor is at a constant 74-76% humidity or so. Will this go lower when I add my cigars?