Home General Discussion

Cigar Oasis Modifications

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
Why does cigar storage lead to so much construction? So in the process of filling the second vinotemp today I discoved my cigar oasis was malfunctioning. First it said it needed water then it wouldn't show the rh and displayed LLL so i went to dump the water and the sludgy muddy looking crap poured out. I immediately began to disassemble the water tank, knowing that the floral foam brick inside was likely the problem.

Anyways, long story short, I got it open pulled out the floral foam cleaned the inside and filled it the cat litter beads and glued it back together with gorilla glue. I figured the beads would be the best bet because if they disintegrate I will be able to pour them out of the holes in the top of the water cartridge.

Just thought I'd share my little adventure tonight. I'm hoping after the glue sets up that this fixes the issues with the oasis.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I wish that was my trouble with the Oasis...a while back, the Oasis unit I keep in my cooler decided to just stop functioning, it would not turn on when I removed the power ribbon and re-inserted it, no help when changing batteries or using the side power port...I'm guessing something on the circuit board went screwy, but I'm not an electronics guy, so it might be a bit problematic to find the cause....may still take it apart and see what I can see, won't hurt since it's broken anyway.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I thought these things were suppose to be worth the expense...
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    they are its just the cartridge thats a pain in the ass.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    How much did the glue expand? It can expand 4X or more what you put on especially in a moist environment.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im fairly sure that if i was gunna mod an oasis (if i had one) this is how i would go: CLICK

cabinetmaker:
    How much did the glue expand? It can expand 4X or more what you put on especially in a moist environment.
    Yep I used it for that reason, I figured its expansive qualities would create a better seal. I had to scrape quite a bit of excess from the outside this morning. Being that I put the glue on the outside of the lip and as hard as that stuff dries I highly doubt it will effect the water any though. Its already been filled with water and placed back into the fridgeador.
    kuzi16:
    im fairly sure that if i was gunna mod an oasis (if i had one) this is how i would go: CLICK

I thought about that but it worries me. The design of original cartridge allows for standing water. If you put the poymers in there they will absorb all of the water. Where the beads function much like the floral foam that is in the factory cartridge and just soak up some of the water and allow some to just stand there. Not sure if this actually matters as I don't know much if anythign about the polymers but it made sense in my head.

The plexiglass box is nice though.
    j0z3r:
    I wish that was my trouble with the Oasis...a while back, the Oasis unit I keep in my cooler decided to just stop functioning, it would not turn on when I removed the power ribbon and re-inserted it, no help when changing batteries or using the side power port...I'm guessing something on the circuit board went screwy, but I'm not an electronics guy, so it might be a bit problematic to find the cause....may still take it apart and see what I can see, won't hurt since it's broken anyway.
    I missed this before. That sucks joe. If I had known that I would have said somehting. THere was a guy on ebay who lost his power cord and had thrown away the cartridge bc it was "bad". He was selling just the unit, I think it went for $15 or $20. He guaranteed it worked.
  • niz33niz33 Posts: 83
    I took off the foam and added 65% beads. image
    Is it working out well for you?