Home General Discussion
Options

Mold Mold Mold.

As some of you may know, I bought a cabinet humidor earlier this year and kept it in an unfinished basement which was nice and cool. The temp is in the low 60s/high 50s and the humidity around 69%. These are not suitable conditions! Some of my sticks have become infested with mold (none on the foot) but none with cello. Next week I am moving the cabinet upstairs where it is 10 degrees warmer. From this learning experience I would like to give you guys tips.

1. 55degrees and below is asking for trouble.
2. Cello DOES protect against mold for a longer period of time.
3. Sticks in drawers (inside a humi) are less likely to get mold. 4. Cigar-glued sticks in 60/70 conditions attracts mold like a teenage boy to megan fox. 5. Mold is bad, mmkay.

Is getting cold this time of year so don't do what I did!

Also, I plan on cleaning out my humidifier reservoirs and don't know what cleaning solution to use. Anyone know what mold can't be in the save environment with? (I think its alcohol)

Here was the only moldy-foot victim.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Comments

• Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Beads.....beads....beads....
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my! Best of luck to you brother.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Clean that sucker. Buy 8lbs of Kitty Litter.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Is that plume?
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Is that plume?
    LOL....I was sold that once. Ccom guys saved my azz.... I was a fresh noob, all stoked to buy some Prensado Churchill's that looked like that....posted pics and....went back to get a refund LOL
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Man, that is rough. I would go with the beads myself. Cleaning out might be OK but I would just replace. I use KL like several others do on here. It works great and is cheap. Once you get the humi clean bring it up to rh and and the beads or KL that should take care of the problem. Best of luck man.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Yikes!!!!, thats odd as I keep sticks in the high 50's low 60's temp and 65 to 68 humidity and havent had a problem.. Maybe its an airflow thing??? What do you use humidity wise??
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    To be honest, I'm not too worried about it. Not a single cello stick was moldy and after a thorough humidifier cleaning + warmer area I'm confident everything will be fine.
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I'm not sure where your mold is coming from but a lower temp in the 55 60s doesn't promote mold growth. If your basement is unfinished and old and damp and must that may have promoted it. But like others have said it would be my first guess that the water reservoir slash humidifier had more to do with it. Make sure you have very good circulation and even distribution of humidity on all levels. And make sure you have containers of beads or litter pearls on each shelf or level.
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow , thats a lot of mold, I was expecting a little but damn, yeah your basement may b to wet or something.
  • Options
    That is a lot. Odd that only a few had it and those few had it bad. That's some serious moldage. At least you only lost a few sticks and hopefully incorporate beads from now on. I know a lot of friends that use beads in bigcabinets.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    That's NOT MOLD!!! That is PLUME on the uber-elusive Tatuaje Snow Monster, only 14 were ever made. Dude, smoke that...they're phenomenal!!!!
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    That's NOT MOLD!!! That is PLUME on the uber-elusive Tatuaje Snow Monster, only 14 were ever made. Dude, smoke that...they're phenomenal!!!!
    lol that is funny. But damn that stick looks like it can walk.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    damn.... that was gunna be my joke.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Rain:
    Is that plume?
    LOL....I was sold that once. Ccom guys saved my azz.... I was a fresh noob, all stoked to buy some Prensado Churchill's that looked like that....posted pics and....went back to get a refund LOL
    My B&M tried to pass some Black Markets that had some hairy mold on it off on me. I told him that if he didnt fix his humi and get rid of those sticks, I was done buying in his shop. I showed him the difference between those and some padrons he had with actual plume. He apologized and actually threw out the entire box of BM torpedos. I have noticed that he is taking much better care of his inventory now!
  • Options
    mwebermweber Posts: 157
    Diamondog:
    Beads.....beads....beads....
    +1
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Right now I have 3 reservoirs in there with about 73% humidity (EDIT: It is set at 69%). If I get beads to help stabilization, what % would you advise and how much should I get (This is a short cabinet and the reservoirs are there to stay).
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Rain:
    Is that plume?
    Was going to ask the same thing. :)
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh man that's really ugly! Hope all you sticks aren in jeopardy. Good luck brother.
  • Options
    scarlin:
    Right now I have 3 reservoirs in there with about 73% humidity (EDIT: It is set at 69%). If I get beads to help stabilization, what % would you advise and how much should I get (This is a short cabinet and the reservoirs are there to stay).

If you have 3 open reservoirs of water and you say they are there to stay, there isn't much anyone here can say to persuade you to change your setup. And your problem is the 73rh. Maybe you have them set at 69, but if its as high as 73rh in some locations, mold loves that high humidity setup. If you want advice drop the setpoint of 73 and reduce it to 65 to 68rh. If you have mold after months of that, come back and tell me years of experience is wrong and I'm stupid.