Home Non Cigar Related

a sad day for lard lovers everywhere

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    I weeped.
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    No more little chocolate waxy donuts either.....damn.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    best application for the twinkie:
    deep fried.
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    I dont think people know how much was actually produced from Hostess. Just remember no one will be able to use the twinkie defense anymore and damn will i miss the cupckaes with the swilries both chocolate and lemon.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Don't bury them yet. They have a large customer base, and other companies are loooking to purchase the Hostess carcas.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    I just love the rediculous prices people are trying to resell their twinkies at.
    jthanatos:
    I just love the rediculous prices people are trying to resell their twinkies at.
    Yea, somebody at work said there are people selling them on e bay for a small fortune. A friend of mine has a case of 'em and says he's going down to Florida and try to barter them for a small house. Who knows, FL real estate has taken a nose dive ... he might be on to something.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    i couldnt care less about the twinkies but my gf loves the cupcakes and Merita bread has been my go to bread for years :( its kinda depressing.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a big twinkie fan, but i sure will miss those little muffins.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I'll split a box with someone. I think it will cost us $300 each.
    We are entering a truly terrifying time, without Hostess Fruit Pies who will save us?
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    I just pulled up my aol account and this was on the front page. http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/11/19/twinkie-hostess-brands-union-judge-orders-mediation/
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    taythegibs:
    I just pulled up my aol account and this was on the front page. http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/11/19/twinkie-hostess-brands-union-judge-orders-mediation/
    Typical BS news. The headline says:

"Judge Orders Hostess to Mediate with Union"

But the text says:

"The bankruptcy judge hearing the case said Monday that the parties haven't gone through the critical step of mediation and asked the lawyer for the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union, which has been on strike on Nov. 9, to ask his client, who wasn't present, if the union would agree to participate. The judge noted that the bakery union went on strike after rejecting the company's latest contract offer, even though it never filed an objection to it."

Which is a far cry from the headline.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Saving Hostess sounds like a job for.....SUPERMITT!
    Hostess executives recieved 80% salary increases last year, but their rank and file workers were facing 75% cuts in their pensions and 17% cuts in their health benefits and similar wage cuts.

Maybe the executives would just like to bring back slavery instead of paying them at all.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/11/18/twinkies-survive-sale-hostess/1712749/#

JDH:
    Hostess executives recieved 80% salary increases last year, but their rank and file workers were facing 75% cuts in their pensions and 17% cuts in their health benefits and similar wage cuts.

Maybe the executives would just like to bring back slavery instead of paying them at all.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/11/18/twinkies-survive-sale-hostess/1712749/#

Meh, I am always leary when comparing executive salaries to proposed cuts/raises for the main workforce. Usually the execs are a very small fraction of an overall labor cost. That being said, cutting yourself a check when asking others to take cuts is always in poor taste, whether it actually affects the bottom line or not.

Reading around, there are a lot of conflicting stories and numbers for the proposed cuts to benefits and salaries, depending on who doing the talking. There is most likely plenty of blame to go around, from the top down and from outside factors as well.