Home General Discussion

Forum Blend

Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
Gents, sorry this fell off the radar. THe factories have been very busy with IPCPR and holiday production but some space is now free again so lets get back to it!! We left off on voting on the third and final filler. Here is my last post. This was meant to be a discussion thread to discuss the filler options before voting. Lets discuss and open for a vote later this week.

Time to discuss filler. THIS IS NOT A VOTING THREAD. Just an open discussion to share thoughts and ideas. Voting will open in a day or two. Note, as of now we will be getting toros, lanceros and torpedos in a medium to full bodied blend with a Sumatra Ecuador Oscuro (high priming) wrapper. When the voting gets going, here is how it is going to work, there will be three seperate votes. First vote, filler 1, second vote filler 2 and third vote filler 3. It is pointless for us to tally up the top three as they may not blend well with each other so I think we need to take this one filler leaf at a time. When voting, we are going to vote only on leaves, not primings and proportions. I will need to set those so they blend as ideally as possible and achieve the medium to full body we are looking for. So let the discussion begin.

Arapiraca - Found on CAO Black VR and Cigar.com Brazilian Label. Sweet maduro grown in brazil. Sugary qualities and an oily wrapper. Sweet with notes of wood and and a light peat and maple.

Mata Fina - Found on cigars like CAO Brazilia for example. Brazilian wrapper with a nice light sweetness but a core of chewy, leathery flavors and light spiciness.

Indonesia - Thin and somewhat blotchy wrapper. It is slightly sweet yet bitter also with a sharp finish. Found mainly on cheap cigars. IE Flor de Oliva.

Pennsylvania Broadleaf Maduro - large leaves grown in Pennsylvania and cured over hickory fires. This leaf is as sweet as it is spicy with definable woody, hickory notes. Examples include Diesel Unholy Cocktail, Rocky Patel Winter Blend and 5 Vegas Gold Maduro.

Habano Copan Honduras - also referred to as "La Entrada", this is a particularly unique wrapper that has become popular in the past 24 months. Grown by Oliva Tampa one of Honduras' oldest growing regions, this wrapper has all the elegance of Habano Ecuador yet teams with flavor and complexity as well as strength. Examples include Diesel Unlimited and Man O War Puro Authentico.

Jalapa Habano - Nicaraguas northern most growing region, its red soils and shade growing produce a very sweet habano seed leaf that is thin for ideal combustion and shows notes of cedar and hints of red pepper. Also available in limited quantities of sun grown for an even richer experience. Examples include Padron natural, gran habano corojo, cuba libre one, cu avana intensus and many others. Nicaraguas most popular wrapper growing region.

Esteli Habano - this wrapper has a very, very small yield. So small in fact that I can't name a single cigar on the market that uses it on account on how limited it is. Esteli is known for growing nicaraguas most robust fillers, every year, 1 to 2% of the crop is over wrapper grade and could be used as wrapper. A forum blend with this would be the first blend I know if in the industry actively using Esteli Sun Grown.

San Andres maduro - found on cigars like Padron Maduro, Nica Libre and Liga Privada Under Crown, this wrapper is very popular among maduro fans but its appearance is not the rich, espresso brown most maduros may present. Grown in Mexico from proprietary seeds planted in San Andres for nearly 150 years, this wrapper has excellent combustion with a pleasant sweetness and is ideal for medium bodied maduros which don't lake anything in flavor department.

Mexican Maroon- Steming from the same plant as the San Andres, these lower priming leaves take on more of a reddish hugh than its darker counterpart. The flavor is somewhat bitter yet carrys undertones of sweetness and spice. It is most noted for having a long and distinct, bitter finish.

Cameroon - Sumatra seeds planted in Africa and harvested by a network of small independent farmers, Cameroon wrapper can be found on a host of cigars including Cohiba Red Dot, Fuente and Partagas. Cameroon wrapper is toothy and oily yet very thin and delicate making if flavorful with ideal combustion. Most popular in the late 1990's, this wrapper today still remains a popular choice for master blenders, favored for its sweet cedary notes and long finish.

Dominican Criollo - most coveted as a filler, there is a small wrapper yield of this tobacco making it somewhat limited. While it is not much to look at, it is a rich leaf with a distinct bitter spiciness that delivers in both flavor and body. Many cigars from Pinar del Rio as well as Vegas Relic use a wrapper such as this.

Habano Condega - Nicaraguan filler from the north of Nicaragua near the Honduras Boarder. Found in almost every Nicaraguan blend, this filler is a main stay in many premium cigars as it provides a smooth base of flavor with some sweet and spiciness.

Habano Ometepe - Nicaraguas famous sweet water island. This tobacco is robust, sweet and hits you in the sinuses.

Peruvian - an exotic and toasty tobacco with some sweet cedary notes and floral tones.

Panamanian - an exotic and sweet tobacco. Thick smoke with notes of maple and a light peatiness.,br>
Columbian Cubita - an exotic leaf that is toasty and bready with slight pepper tones.

Comments

• TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for getting this going again Alex. Personally I have always loved a little spice and sweetness in my stick. I know there are a lot of fillers that have those characteristics. I personally would stay away from the bitterness, but again, not totally against trying it out. Probably not all too helpful, but its what I know in my limited knowledge of cigars
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    San Andreas, panama, and Columbia sound good to me :)
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Good to see this back in action. I know that I personally am a fan of tobaccos like the Arapiraca and the Mata Fin, the sweet/woodsy/leathery tobaccos with a bit of pepper; and it does seem to me that the "Brazillian" cigars have been a huge hit here recently. My personal opinion is that the Forum blend shouldnt be too out there or cheap feeling, and i think with some of the really exotic sounding leaves mentioned it could get there; so it seems like im in agreement with Trident (now that i think about it, i nearly always am....)
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Your welcome folks;)------I too like a little sweetness and cedar notes as well in my stick. Spiciness is ok, but to me SOOOOO many blenders are trying for spicy now a days its nice to have a stick with little to none. Spiciness doesnt always add flavor in my opinion.
  • TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    agreed, and done wrong can totally ruin the cigar
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Not a fan of spicy... A nice retro is always a bonus. Tea, floral, sweet, cream, cedar, fruits....that's what I like. Toasty characteristics, cinnamon, bread...just not overpowering dark choc or espresso and please no heavy earth
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Vulchor:
    Spiciness doesnt always add flavor in my opinion.
    that right there sums up my thoughts on many of the made for america cigars these days. When i want spice, which is pretty rare, ill go for something crazy like a punisher, but i want to enjoy my cigars not be overpowered by them.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    taythegibs:
    Vulchor:
    Spiciness doesnt always add flavor in my opinion.
    that right there sums up my thoughts on many of the made for america cigars these days. When i want spice, which is pretty rare, ill go for something crazy like a punisher, but i want to enjoy my cigars not be overpowered by them.
    I like spice the same way I like bitter in my cigars. When they are used to enhance and contrast flavors, I love it. When they are used to make it feel like my nose is full of fire and hatred on a retro... not so much. A little of both go a long way.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    I feel Habano Condega is a must. If I recall it was the first thing we picked last time. I honestly would like to see San Andres, but I am not sure how it would mix with a Sumatra. Anyone know examples of San Andres with a Sumatra wrapper?
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I've forgotten what we already picked.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I loves me some Mata Fina. On a side note, I thought the CAO Brazilia used Brazilian leaf that wasn't Mata Fina? Am I incorrect in thinking this?? Help!
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    I've completely forgotten the other components of this cigar ........ which is really important before picking anything else.
    JDH:
    I've completely forgotten the other components of this cigar ........ which is really important before picking anything else.
    From the votes from the previous threads, the wrapper is Ecuadorian Sumatra, filler 1 was Nic. Habano Ometepe, filler 2 was Nic. Habano Condega, and from the brief filler 3 voting I think Copan was the most popular. Not sure if we are picking 3 new fillers or just a third one though.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    JDH:
    From the votes from the previous threads, the wrapper is Ecuadorian Sumatra, filler 1 was Nic. Habano Ometepe, filler 2 was Nic. Habano Condega, and from the brief filler 3 voting I think Copan was the most popular. Not sure if we are picking 3 new fillers or just a third one though.
    Correct. I just looked back and did not copy and paste correctly. We are medium to full with sumatra ecuador oscuro, and we did two of the three fillers. Habano Ometepe and Habano Condega. The third is really wide open. Almost anything will blend well with these.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care. I want cameroon.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    man... that last one looks nice. bready? delish.

i would like to warn again about using too many exotics. they dont play well with others.
    however, it is fun to see how they blend in.

if i remember correctly i have decided not to vote on the blend but i would love to get my hands on a few when they come out.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    No comments on the leaves yet, but thanks for picking this back up Alex! You guys are great
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Personally, I would like to see the third filler leaf be Jalapa, because I've read that the region is sometimes compared to Cuba's Vuelta Abajo. Also, tobacco grown in Jalapa is considered not as strong as Esteli, but Jalapa grown tobacco is sweeter and the region is known for producing excellent wrappers.

I know many have voted to use Copan, but I think that would make a better binder than filler. Just my 2 cents.

• ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Thanks Alex for putting this back into production. I still think Copan for the third.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    remember, it isnt a voting thread. its a discussion.
    JDH:
    Personally, I would like to see the third filler leaf be Jalapa, because I've read that the region is sometimes compared to Cuba's Vuelta Abajo. Also, tobacco grown in Jalapa is considered not as strong as Esteli, but Jalapa grown tobacco is sweeter and the region is known for producing excellent wrappers.

I know many have voted to use Copan, but I think that would make a better binder than filler. Just my 2 cents.

i agree with all of this. not only that but Jalapa can play well with others depending on what priming is used.

it may be a good compliment to something that is not as sweet and not as round but has its own unique flavor.
    kuzi16:
    remember, it isnt a voting thread. its a discussion.
    JDH:

i agree with all of this. not only that but Jalapa can play well with others depending on what priming is used.

it may be a good compliment to something that is not as sweet and not as round but has its own unique flavor.
    +1 Since Condega and Ometepe are in there I am all for one of the more exotic tobaccos since this will probably be a smalll batch. I'm not a blender nor have I had some of those tobaccos knowingly so I will leave that up to the more seasoned vets.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I know it was mentioned earlier that, while tempting, it's easy to ruin a blend with too many exotics. Is ometepe is not considered an exotic? If we throw another exotic in there, would there be any advantage on using it as 3rd filler versus using it as a binder or vice versa?
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cameroon wrap. Panamanian and Criollo fill.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    kuzi16:
    if i remember correctly i have decided not to vote on the blend but i would love to get my hands on a few when they come out.
    I think I voted back when this first came around but at this point I'm with Kuzi here. No more voting for me, but however it ends up, I'm in for a few of each size.